Creating a single super-platform

Created at 19 May 2023, 20:44
How’s your experience with the cTrader Platform?
Your feedback is crucial to cTrader's development. Please take a few seconds to share your opinion and help us improve your trading experience. Thanks!

Tspring

Joined 11.02.2021

Creating a single super-platform
19 May 2023, 20:44

Combine the cTrader desktop development team with the cTrader web team to create a single super-platform.
Both platforms have merits that the other one lacks. By combining their respective development teams into one team, they could merge the two cTrader into a single product, selecting only the best that the two platforms have to give, and discarding the rest.
In this way we would have a single super-platform consisting only of the best solutions derived from the two cTrader.

cTrader
@Tspring
Replies

firemyst
22 May 2023, 03:31

Just out of curiosity, can you describe a few features that are in the web version that you'd like to see in the desktop version that currently aren't there?

@firemyst

jim.tollan
22 May 2023, 10:57

While I understand your motivation, I think there are definitely many issues in this thinking:

1. The skillset required for desktop (c++/c#) will differ from the web front end (probably using React)

2. A single codebase would be unable to target both platforms, so you'd still effectively require two teams/sets of code

3. The actual mechanics of rolling out code and testing are very different between desktop and web based

4. A feature may be super easy to deliver in one platform but not in the other. so you have conflicts on whether to include that feature

This is just the very top level few that occurred to me. I think we all do have a tendency to underestimate the challenges in keeping platform targets in sync. There is definitely a case for having as many common functions present in both platforms, and I'm sure the product lead will be juggling these priorities as we speak ;)

Let's see how well my contribution on this AGES as cTrader continues to evolve - lol

@jim.tollan

Nick24
22 May 2023, 15:20 ( Updated at: 22 May 2023, 15:24 )

RE:

o.o.d.exp said:

Combine the cTrader desktop development team with the cTrader web team to create a single super-platform.
Both platforms have merits that the other one lacks. By combining their respective development teams into one team, they could merge the two cTrader into a single product, selecting only the best that the two platforms have to give, and discarding the rest.
In this way we would have a single super-platform consisting only of the best solutions derived from the two cTrader.

Yes, I agree. 

If Spotware wants to get on the same level as TradingView, ProRealTime, etc, and destroy Metatrader permanent, platform sync between every application is a must.

I don't know why they keep saying this is not possible while meanwhile TradingView and ProRealTime for instance are literally both having it.

@Nick24

firemyst
23 May 2023, 16:48

RE: RE:

Nick24 said:

Yes, I agree. 

If Spotware wants to get on the same level as TradingView, ProRealTime, etc, and destroy Metatrader permanent, platform sync between every application is a must.

I don't know why they keep saying this is not possible while meanwhile TradingView and ProRealTime for instance are literally both having it.

I agree as well with what you said. Another example that's "kicking butt" is the mobile version of ThinkTrader from ThinkMarkets.

For regular time based bar charts, it's one of the best and easiest to use mobile platforms out there... I use it more than the cTrader mobile because even simple things like getting sorting history correct (issue raised here) appears to be problematic for Spotware on the mobile platform.

@firemyst

Nick24
24 May 2023, 13:12 ( Updated at: 24 May 2023, 13:25 )

RE: RE: RE:

firemyst said:

Nick24 said:

Yes, I agree. 

I agree as well with what you said. Another example that's "kicking butt" is the mobile version of ThinkTrader from ThinkMarkets.

For regular time based bar charts, it's one of the best and easiest to use mobile platforms out there... I use it more than the cTrader mobile because even simple things like getting sorting history correct (issue raised here) appears to be problematic for Spotware on the mobile platform.

Oh, I never realized this until you mentioned it.

I only use cTrader mobile to place and manage trades. That chart trading feature is really nice! I can't lie about that, but so many things in mobile are still sloppy and inaccurate. 

However, desktop for sure is a lot more professional and better, but a lot of basic and important features are still missing here aswell. For instance, a risk/reward tool and it also has been suggested by so many people over the years, but they still decide to spend time on things that I wouldn't even consider a higher priority.

I use TradingView mobile and Pepperstone charts within TradingView for forex or ProRealTime mobile for charting and analysis, because they are better compared to cTrader mobile for this. Although, I like to use cTrader mobile for charting and analysis in the future too, because switching platforms over and over again is not convenient.

Still Ctrader is not bad and amazing in a few specific things, but overall a lot of things needs to be done to change this platform from average to outstanding.

@Nick24