Backtesting/Optimizations when markets are closed

Created at 21 Nov 2020, 14:25
How’s your experience with the cTrader Platform?
Your feedback is crucial to cTrader's development. Please take a few seconds to share your opinion and help us improve your trading experience. Thanks!

heinrich.munz

Joined 21.11.2020

Backtesting/Optimizations when markets are closed
21 Nov 2020, 14:25

Why is it not possible to Backtest/Optimize on week ends or in general when the markets are closed???
I understand that there must be times when the servers are down for maintenance, etc. However, backtesting/optimizations do not need an instant server connection as long as there are enough cached tick and OHLC data downloaded on the local machine. For long optimization run's the weekends are the best times to do this.

If this will not be fixed, I see this as a huge killer criterium against MT4 / MT5 !
So Spotware, please enable the backtesting an optimizations functionality at least for the cached data.

cTrader Automate
@heinrich.munz
Replies

MadMike
21 Nov 2020, 14:52

It is already possible to backtest and optimise weekends when the markets are closed, what you are probably experiencing is maintenance work on the server, it will be back on like soon enough.

@MadMike

heinrich.munz
21 Nov 2020, 19:20

MadMike said:

It is already possible to backtest and optimise weekends when the markets are closed, what you are probably experiencing is maintenance work on the server, it will be back on like soon enough.

"soon enough"?
Its more then 6 hours now. No Backtesting possible!
I cannot understand the reason. All needed Tick data are in the backtesting cache folder...

@heinrich.munz

evgrinaus
22 Nov 2020, 08:17

Back testing not working in weekends !!!

Same here. I do all my backtesting in the weekends to test my cbots. I might have to resort to MT5 if this does not get resolved soon.

@evgrinaus

lucane
22 Nov 2020, 10:05 ( Updated at: 21 Dec 2023, 09:22 )

It seems like it's not even possible to backtest using data from a CSV file when the markets are closed. This should be considered a bug.

@lucane

heinrich.munz
22 Nov 2020, 11:24

"soon enough"?
Its more then virtually 24 hours now. No Backtesting possible!

PLEASE VOTE FOR THIS FEATURE!!!

@heinrich.munz

uwescheffold
22 Nov 2020, 13:41

Backtesting is dead now for nearly whole weekend. This is unacceptable.

The time to do backtests with the system is gone and wasted. If it's not a bug, please disable this "feature" at once.

I can't see any technical reason for such a "feature" since all what is needed is a cache data. Once filled, there is no need for a server connection at all.

And I can't see why it should not be possible to run the server continiously, except maybe for some hours maintennace, but even that could be done during night times and with previous information to the user. Btw. the feature is not "available" with competitors. NinjaTrader runs whenever you want and even. MT4/5 does. 

If it is a bug please correct it ----> now!

For me such a behaviour, if seen for a longer time, is a showstopper for using CTrader at all. 

@uwescheffold

PanagiotisCharalampous
23 Nov 2020, 09:52

Hi all, 

There was maintenance taking place over the weekend. Everything should be fine now.

Best Regards,

Panagiotis 

Join us on Telegram

@PanagiotisCharalampous

heinrich.munz
23 Nov 2020, 11:00

Will this happen again next weekend?

PanagiotisCharalampous said:

Hi all, 

There was maintenance taking place over the weekend. Everything should be fine now.

Best Regards,

Panagiotis 

Join us on Telegram

@heinrich.munz