Add a Type tag (Forex, Index, Stocks, etc) to Symbols

Created at 06 Sep 2019, 20:29
How’s your experience with the cTrader Platform?
Your feedback is crucial to cTrader's development. Please take a few seconds to share your opinion and help us improve your trading experience. Thanks!

Waxy

Joined 12.05.2015

Add a Type tag (Forex, Index, Stocks, etc) to Symbols
06 Sep 2019, 20:29

Currently, when you use the Symbols property there's no way to tell if the Symbol is Forex, Stocks, Commodities, Crypto, etc.

So I have applied a filter implementation myself for these (example, the symbol has 6 letters only, or contains EUR, NZD, etc), however, these kinds of filters may fail if the broker changes formats, or add new symbols, or may not work with all brokers, so keeping track of this is a bit awful.

My suggestion is adding an enum type (FX, Index, Stocks, Metals, Crypto, etc) to the symbols so they can be queried properly even if the broker decides to change the format or add a new symbol name in the future.

Thanks for your work.

Best Regards,
Xavier R.

cTrader Automate
@Waxy
Replies

rochellenwslkers
05 Feb 2020, 18:07

RE:

Waxy said:

Currently, when you use the Symbols property there's no way to tell if the Symbol is Forex, Stocks, Commodities, Crypto, etc.

So I have applied a filter implementation myself for these (example, the symbol has 6 letters only, or contains EUR, NZD, etc), however, these kinds of filters may fail if the broker changes formats, or add new symbols, or may not work with all brokers, so keeping track of this is a bit awful.

My suggestion is adding an enum type (FX, Index, Stocks, Metals, Crypto, etc) to the symbols so they can be queried properly even if the broker decides to change the format or add a new symbol name in the future.

Thanks for your work.

Best Regards,
Xavier R.

Hey, so does this really can help me to trade with ai stocks? Since it is pretty interesting to find a way for receiving the money, I am pretty interested in that. However, since I had some experience with it, I think I can find some details about trading. So as Forex and Index couldn't really help me, I tried to get some income with help of blue chip stocks that I've found from the article "best stocks to buy" that is great pretty interesting since it has some important details that I should think of.