Execution Speed / Latency / London vs. NY

Created at 28 Aug 2019, 12:17
How’s your experience with the cTrader Platform?
Your feedback is crucial to cTrader's development. Please take a few seconds to share your opinion and help us improve your trading experience. Thanks!
GR

GridSurfer

Joined 08.06.2019

Execution Speed / Latency / London vs. NY
28 Aug 2019, 12:17

Hi Spotware,

right now your servers/gateway and operations are exclusively in London (exept the proxies of course).
My broker is ICMarkets and basically all the liquidity provider are located in New York (Equinix NY4).

All ticks and executions have to travel over the ocean, sometimes with significant delay/latency. It is not only the execution speed that concerns me (especially in volatile times), but also the tick count and price quotes. Possibly ICMarkets does not hook cTrader up to all LPs, but comparing tick counts / price quotes of MT4 to cTrader it is a significant ~30% more ticks with MT4 across a range of instruments. I evaluated data over several weeks. Even if others get slightly different results - it is significant.
With my bots I get very different results between the two.

I love cTrader and I would like to switch even with the slightly higher commissions. For me, it has so many advantages over MT4. Lots of features and the handling is incredible. Good job!
However, IMHO, with ~30% less ticks than being in NY and the latency London/NY with every execution cTrader does not live up to its full potential at all.

So my question to Spotware:
Do you plan on having (mirror) servers in NY (Equinix NY4) to have a better connection to ICMarkets LPs?

Cheers

@GridSurfer
Replies

PanagiotisCharalampous
28 Aug 2019, 12:28

Hi GridSurfer,

Inquiries related to the price feed and execution should be addressed to the brokers since they are in control of the entire chain. For the moment we do not have plans to set up a datacenter in NY. Such a setup would mostly benefit US traders who currenlty cannot use cTrader. If you else anywhere else in the world with no close proximity to NY (Mexico, Canada etc), your message will probably still need to travel across oceans to NY, therefore the location of our datacenter will not make much of a difference.

Best Regards,

Panagiotis

@PanagiotisCharalampous

GridSurfer
28 Aug 2019, 16:48

Hi Panagiotis,

thanks for the reply. However, as you sure know, any serious trader using automated trading uses a VPS close to the datacenter, so you always get < 2 Milliseconds to the broker (NY, London, Frankfurt). But in case of cTrader the gateway is London (Spotware), and all transactions are routed to NY where most liquidity providers of my broker are. It doesn't make much sense to me since all the execution advantage the cTrader framework has over established platforms like MT4/MT5 go to waste. But I guess not enough people care.

Cheers
GridSurfer

@GridSurfer

PanagiotisCharalampous
28 Aug 2019, 16:54

Hi GridSurfer,

Indeed, what you say is true. However, at the moment the vast majority of traders are manual traders and the vast majority of traders using automated strategies prefer London. There is not much demand for NY currenlty. If such demand is created in the future, we can consider a data center in NY as well.

Best Regards,

Panagiotis

@PanagiotisCharalampous