Walk forward optimization

Created at 02 Nov 2014, 13:59
How’s your experience with the cTrader Platform?
Your feedback is crucial to cTrader's development. Please take a few seconds to share your opinion and help us improve your trading experience. Thanks!
CR

crank

Joined 11.11.2014

02 Nov 2014, 13:59

WFO for out-of-sample testing during optimization would lead to the creation of more robust systems, optimal parameter sets, and less curve-fitting.

under review cTrader Automate
@crank
Replies

Lávio_Pareschi
08 Nov 2015, 18:10

To accomplish this very important feature, I think that the backtesting process must be faster.
I have used Ninja that does WFO. And Ninja is much faster than CTrader when doing optimizations and, consequently, WFO. This performance issue is a problem and maybe the reason the CTrader makers did not include WFO in their program in first versions.

@Lávio_Pareschi

jrsmolley
30 Dec 2015, 20:37

I am very surprised that this platform wouldn't include built-in Walk-Forward Analysis or out-of-sample testing. Maybe cTrader is catering more to discretionary traders? For any serious algorithmic trader, this feature is not optional. Unfortunately that means this platform is unacceptable to me. Maybe they'll implement it in the future? Until then I'll be looking at MultiCharts / Asirikuy / SierraCharts as an alternative.

@jrsmolley

der.timosch
21 Aug 2017, 21:51 ( Updated at: 21 Aug 2017, 21:52 )

This is something, that I am really looking forward to. It could save a lot of time if don't have to do it manually for single optimization results

@der.timosch

... Deleted by UFO ...

daniloscipioni
04 Oct 2020, 19:10

under review...

This feature is under review since november 2014?

Interesting...

@daniloscipioni

jonathan.silva.condeuba
10 Dec 2022, 03:22

Awaiting...

It's past time to resolve this bug

@jonathan.silva.condeuba

lisandronahuelh
14 Jun 2023, 19:16

Please implement this Spotware. The community will really appreciate it.

@lisandronahuelh

heinrich.munz
16 Jul 2023, 15:26

Instead of implementing (Walk) Forward Optimization into cTrader, I suggest to release a CLI version of 

a) Automate Back tester and

b) Automate Optimizer

instead.

Reason: People understand completely different things under Walk Forward or just Forward Optimization and there are myriads of ways how to implement those features (see MT5, NinjaTrader, Multicharts64, etc. - all are crab :-(. I am pretty sure that - if Spotware implements (W)FO - for many users it will be disappointing and useless. The only way to make all users happy is to offer an API to use Backtesting and Optimization programmatically just as we use it today manually. Then everybody can implement the (W)FO strategies they'd like to have.

The good news for Spotware is, that there is a very simple way to realize this: Just release the optimizer and the backtester as a CLI implementation as you have done in cTrader V4.8 for the real-time trader. Of course the optimizer and the backtester API must have all the setting parameters possibilities as we have it today in the IDE version. This CLI programs then can be called by self written (W)FO strategies and no one can complain about the bad implementation of WFO. 

@heinrich.munz