Indicators on Indicators

Created at 07 Mar 2018, 15:16
How’s your experience with the cTrader Platform?
Your feedback is crucial to cTrader's development. Please take a few seconds to share your opinion and help us improve your trading experience. Thanks!
PA

PapaGohan

Joined 01.03.2018

Indicators on Indicators
07 Mar 2018, 15:16

Hi,

Thank you for this great trading platform. I think you guys have done a great job and as a C# developer I really appreciate the effort made with the cAlgo API in particular, it's a joy to work with. I appreciate you're busy enough developing the platform, but I thought I'd post my suggestion nevertheless.

My suggestion is: Could it be possible to add indicators using the output values of other indicators?

My thoughts are that when adding an indicator could it be possible to select a Source for the indicator's series, either the chart values (Open, High, Low, Close) or an output from other indicators already added to the chart?

Of course this would require indicators to have an "Input" data series made available as a parameter, so for now it could just be supported by built-in indicators, but for custom indicators it could be that the DataSeries type for fields marked as Input be used to select a source (and the option through the input attribute to somehow select a default chart data series source, maybe through an enum, e.g. the Close value).

The default value for the Source for an indicator could also be context sensitive, so if I were to add the indicator from the chart window, the chart's Close value is selected by default, and if I were to add the indicator from another indicator's window (like the RSI) then the first of that indicator's output values is selected by default.

Whatever the best solution, it would be great to be able to "stack" indicators, so I could have a chart with the RSI indicator with the MA of the RSI overlayed on top of the RSI.

Many thanks again.

@PapaGohan
Replies

PanagiotisCharalampous
07 Mar 2018, 15:26 ( Updated at: 21 Dec 2023, 09:20 )

Hi PapaGohan,

Thanks for sharing your suggestion with us. Just to let you know that it is already possible to use an indicator as an input to another indicator, if the indicator has already beed added to the chart. See example below

Best Regards,

Panagiotis

@PanagiotisCharalampous

PapaGohan
07 Mar 2018, 15:37

Hi Panagiotis,

Thank you for your quick reply!

My apologies, it was late last night when I thought if this and apparently I wasn't awake enough to spot it was already there! Now I feel like a fool...

Interestingly, this feature isn't available on the web version, which isn't a problem at all just worth noting.

Thank you again for the great platform, it's getting better with each update.

@PapaGohan

burakbirer
16 Mar 2018, 15:16 ( Updated at: 21 Dec 2023, 09:20 )

RE:

would be nice to have it on web trader also. I don't have a windows pc. so the only option for me is web trader. btw web trader is faster :)

Panagiotis Charalampous said:

Hi PapaGohan,

Thanks for sharing your suggestion with us. Just to let you know that it is already possible to use an indicator as an input to another indicator, if the indicator has already beed added to the chart. See example below

Best Regards,

Panagiotis

@burakbirer