Support for Visual Studio 2017 (and Visual Studio 2015)

Created at 16 May 2017, 22:54
How’s your experience with the cTrader Platform?
Your feedback is crucial to cTrader's development. Please take a few seconds to share your opinion and help us improve your trading experience. Thanks!
MA

MaRCHeW

Joined 05.05.2012

Support for Visual Studio 2017 (and Visual Studio 2015)
16 May 2017, 22:54

Hello,

Please add support for Visual Studio 2017.

Will be nice to see suport for debugging in VS 2015 as well.f

Regards

MaRCHeW

@MaRCHeW
Replies

ClickAlgo
17 May 2017, 22:21 ( Updated at: 21 Dec 2023, 09:20 )

Take a look at the following web page and video on how to debug your code using cAlgo and Visual Studio 2015

https://clickalgo.com/how-to-debug-ctrader-algo-visual-studio

Also you will need an updated vsix file

https://clickalgo.com/how-to-use-visual-studio-2015-with-ctrader

https://clickalgo.com

@ClickAlgo

MaRCHeW
19 May 2017, 22:45

Hi Paul,

Works great. Thanks.

Regards

MaRCHeW

@MaRCHeW

tacnet
03 Jun 2017, 20:20

The suggestion of Paul apparently works only with VS 2015. I cannot make it work with VS 2017. Can anyone suggest a workaround? Does cAlgo think to update it?

@tacnet

Spotware
17 Jul 2017, 10:13

Dear traders,

We plan to start working on officially supporting Visual Studio 2015 and 2017 soon. Until official support is released, you can use this workaround provided by the community /forum/calgo-support/8514 which exlpains how to update the .vsix file. We have tested it as well and it works fine on both VS2015 and VS2017.

Best Regards,

cTrader Team

@Spotware

nmaxcom
06 Aug 2017, 00:18

RE:

Spotware said:

We plan... to start working... on officially supporting...

Wow. That's an excited team if I've seen one. Let's face it, cAlgo is an abandoned project.

In your signature it says: "TRADERS FIRST™ Vote for your favorite features: http://vote.spotware.com/"

Has anyone seen the cAlgo section? The most voted features, with hundreds of votes, have been abandoned from 2014. Not even an answer from Spotware. When your motto, with a huge typefont in your home page says "TRADERS FIRST", that's hypocritical, to say the least.

Someone is letting thick dust settle on cAlgo. And listen, I'm sure there are good reasons. Maybe the rise of good online backtesting solutions like quantopian and quantconnect just to name two have you cornered; maybe is another thing. Whatever it is, just be straight with the community you so loudly say to respect, tell the truth and stop letting people hanging for features and updates that will never come.

I hope my only point is clear: If you are going to do something with cAlgo or not, just f* say it. Today.

@nmaxcom

Spotware
07 Aug 2017, 09:34

Hi nmaxcom,

Your concerns have been addressed recently by the company's CEO, Andrey Pavlov, in his reply to an open letter by the community. You can find his reply here. More specifically we quote the following regarding cAlgo.

"cAlgo was in maintenance mode for a long time, I will not make a secret out of this, that's changed - it is now under new management of a promising professional who I hope will engage with you here and his plans are vast, including: API growth vertically and horizontally, IDE and backtesting improvements, monetization for you guys through a cBot store, maybe even cloud execution"

We hope that the above clarifies the situation for you.

Best Regards,

cTrader Team

@Spotware

nmaxcom
12 Aug 2017, 04:39

RE:

Spotware said:

Hi nmaxcom,

Your concerns have been addressed recently by the company's CEO, Andrey Pavlov, in his reply to an open letter by the community. You can find his reply here. More specifically we quote the following regarding cAlgo.

"cAlgo was in maintenance mode for a long time, I will not make a secret out of this, that's changed - it is now under new management of a promising professional who I hope will engage with you here and his plans are vast, including: API growth vertically and horizontally, IDE and backtesting improvements, monetization for you guys through a cBot store, maybe even cloud execution"

Best Regards,

cTrader Team

I appreciate your response, "Spotware" (you really have to start using your own names, it's community building 101).

On one hand, I'm sad to see that my negative assumptions about cAlgo were indeed correct, as confirmed by the CEO. Potential has been left behind for years. On the other hand, it's good to read that someone is allegedly about to change that huge mistake.

For now, it's only words, and almost 3 years of people getting ignored and getting left behind will take some real work by Spotware to make it up to the community.

I think it's sad it required an open letter by a very disappointed client (following by another disappointed supporter of the first one) for the CEO to open his mouth and give us a glimmer of hope.

You guys really need to make some PR changes. For one, address to people by your own names; you can all use the same handle "Spotware" but sign it with a name. Even better would be to use support accounts with your own personalized avatars (face pictures or otherwise) so we can put "a face" on it and have a two way improved relationship.

And how about a road map so we can know what to expect? What to wait for?

I've sprayed suggestions in this forum and other parts of spotware, so I'll stop here.

Thank you for the link to the letter, it did help.

I sincerely hope you guys get back on track, your product is great and the potential is terrific.

@nmaxcom

Spotware
16 Aug 2017, 11:30 ( Updated at: 23 Jan 2024, 13:15 )

Dear nmaxcom,

Thanks for your constructive comments. First of all, we would like to let you know that a new section has been added to the forum, called [Coming Soon]. In the following days, we will start publishing there the platform's upcoming features. Also we would like to let you know that a new community platform is in the pipeline. The new platform will offer the features required to follow your suggestions about the community and will improve the communication between you and us.

Best Regards,

cTrader Team

@Spotware

MaRCHeW
17 Aug 2017, 09:25

RE: RE:

Hi Nmaxcom :)

Thanks for you words. I hope your move will change a Spotware attitude to cAlgo and they will take into account the feedback from community. Many of great features are still waiting at http://vote.spotware.com/forums/229166-ideas-and-suggestions-for-ctrader-and-calgo site.

Guys (Spotware) we no more need posibilities change a colors, font or themes. We need better environement to build better cAlgo's strategies. We are waiting too long time on new relevant features.

Regards

MaRCHeW

nmaxcom said:

Spotware said:

Hi nmaxcom,

Best Regards,

cTrader Team

I appreciate your response, "Spotware" (you really have to start using your own names, it's community building 101).

On one hand, I'm sad to see that my negative assumptions about cAlgo were indeed correct, as confirmed by the CEO. Potential has been left behind for years. On the other hand, it's good to read that someone is allegedly about to change that huge mistake.

For now, it's only words, and almost 3 years of people getting ignored and getting left behind will take some real work by Spotware to make it up to the community.

I think it's sad it required an open letter by a very disappointed client (following by another disappointed supporter of the first one) for the CEO to open his mouth and give us a glimmer of hope.

You guys really need to make some PR changes. For one, address to people by your own names; you can all use the same handle "Spotware" but sign it with a name. Even better would be to use support accounts with your own personalized avatars (face pictures or otherwise) so we can put "a face" on it and have a two way improved relationship.

And how about a road map so we can know what to expect? What to wait for?

I've sprayed suggestions in this forum and other parts of spotware, so I'll stop here.

Thank you for the link to the letter, it did help.

I sincerely hope you guys get back on track, your product is great and the potential is terrific.

@MaRCHeW

ctid430990
24 Feb 2018, 16:14

wow, 6 months later, and any progress?  I'm a new user here, just signed up - hoping that it will be a stable supported platform long term!??.

@ctid430990

MaRCHeW
27 Feb 2018, 15:52

Hi Panagiotis,

I've just installed cTrader 3.0 and jumped to the cAlgo. New extension has been installed correctly but cAlgo is tryying to install this extension every time when I'm choosing "Edit in Visual Studio" option and then I've got the message "This extension is already installed to all applicable application" and my instance of VS 2017 doesn't want to launch.

Regards

MaRCHeW

@MaRCHeW

PanagiotisCharalampous
27 Feb 2018, 18:02

Hi MaRCHeW,

Thanks for pointing this out. cAlgo team is already working on a fix. We appreciate the involvement of the community into making cTrader 3.0 a stable product before rolling out to brokers.

Best Regards,

Panagiotis

@PanagiotisCharalampous

MaRCHeW
28 Feb 2018, 09:50

Hi Panagiotis,

As I mentioned yesterday, I've installed cAlgo new extension which comes with cTrader 3.0. I assumed that this extension should also work with cAlgo 2.01 but it didn't. Please check it and confirm that I can use it with cAlgo 2.01.

Regards

MaRCHeW

@MaRCHeW

ap11
28 Feb 2018, 17:40

Hi MaRCHeW,

Visual Studio Extension is now fixed. If you still experience issues with extension, please do following steps:
1. Remove current version from Visual Studio. Using Tools -> Extension and Updates, uninstall cBots and Indicators extension
2. Select 'Edit in Visual Studio' from cTrader 3.0. It will download and install Visual Studio Extension

Regarding support in older versions of cAlgo.
Edit in Visual Studio command is not supported in cAlgo 2.01 with the new version of Visual Studio Extension. You still can open cBot or indicator in Visual Studio from new cTrader or from the file system by navigating source code folder and open .sln file.

Thanks,
Andrey

@ap11

MaRCHeW
28 Feb 2018, 19:18

RE:

Works fine. Thanks!

Regards

MaRCHeW

Andrey Pisarev said:

Hi MaRCHeW,

Visual Studio Extension is now fixed. If you still experience issues with extension, please do following steps:
1. Remove current version from Visual Studio. Using Tools -> Extension and Updates, uninstall cBots and Indicators extension
2. Select 'Edit in Visual Studio' from cTrader 3.0. It will download and install Visual Studio Extension

Regarding support in older versions of cAlgo.
Edit in Visual Studio command is not supported in cAlgo 2.01 with the new version of Visual Studio Extension. You still can open cBot or indicator in Visual Studio from new cTrader or from the file system by navigating source code folder and open .sln file.

Thanks,
Andrey

@MaRCHeW

cintuanginbox
11 Apr 2018, 06:43 ( Updated at: 21 Dec 2023, 09:20 )

RE:

Spotware said:

Dear traders,

We plan to start working on officially supporting Visual Studio 2015 and 2017 soon. Until official support is released, you can use this workaround provided by the community /forum/calgo-support/8514 which exlpains how to update the .vsix file. We have tested it as well and it works fine on both VS2015 and VS2017.

Best Regards,

cTrader Team

Hi cTrader Team

I am using VS2017 right now. I follow the step by step instructions from /forum/calgo-support/8514. The process of the file extraction works but when I try installing it does not work. What should I do? 

@cintuanginbox

... Deleted by UFO ...

PanagiotisCharalampous
11 Apr 2018, 09:24

Hi cintuanginbox,

Could you please send us the install log as well as the extension files to check? Also, which cTrader do you use 2.01 or 3.0?

Best Regards,

Panagiotis

@PanagiotisCharalampous

cintuanginbox
18 Apr 2018, 20:55

RE:

This is my install log. I followed every step from /forum/calgo-support/8514. But it failed. 

What I'm using:

OctaFx cTrader 2.01

OctaFx cAlgo 2.01

Visual Studio Community 2017 15.6.6

Thanks for the help.

4/18/2018 11:47:47 AM - Microsoft VSIX Installer
4/18/2018 11:47:47 AM - -------------------------------------------
4/18/2018 11:47:47 AM - vsixinstaller.exe version:
4/18/2018 11:47:47 AM - 15.6.152+ge95e4dd1ce
4/18/2018 11:47:47 AM - Command line parameters:
4/18/2018 11:47:47 AM - C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\Installer\resources\app\ServiceHub\Services\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.Service\VSIXInstaller.exe,C:\Users\Family\Desktop\C# projects\VSExtension\VSExtension.vsix
4/18/2018 11:47:47 AM - Microsoft VSIX Installer
4/18/2018 11:47:51 AM - Initializing Install...
4/18/2018 11:47:51 AM - Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExtensionManager.InvalidExtensionPackageException: The file is not a valid VSIX package. ---> System.IO.FileFormatException: File contains corrupted data.
   at MS.Internal.IO.Zip.ZipIOEndOfCentralDirectoryBlock.FindPosition(Stream archiveStream)
   at MS.Internal.IO.Zip.ZipIOEndOfCentralDirectoryBlock.SeekableLoad(ZipIOBlockManager blockManager)
   at MS.Internal.IO.Zip.ZipArchive..ctor(Stream archiveStream, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Boolean streaming, Boolean ownStream)
   at MS.Internal.IO.Zip.ZipArchive.OpenOnStream(Stream stream, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Boolean streaming)
   at System.IO.Packaging.ZipPackage..ctor(Stream s, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Boolean streaming)
   at System.IO.Packaging.Package.Open(Stream stream, FileMode packageMode, FileAccess packageAccess, Boolean streaming)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExtensionManager.InstallableExtensionImpl.ReadVSIXManifestFromPackage(Stream stream, CultureInfo preferredCulture)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExtensionManager.InstallableExtensionImpl.ReadVSIXManifestFromPackage(Stream stream, CultureInfo preferredCulture)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExtensionManager.InstallableExtensionImpl..ctor(String path, CultureInfo preferredCulture)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExtensionManager.ExtensionEngineImpl.CreateInstallableExtension(String extensionPath, CultureInfo preferredCulture)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExtensionManager.ExtensionEngineImpl.CreateInstallableExtension(String extensionPath)
   at VSIXInstaller.App.GetInstallableData(String vsixPath, Boolean isRepairSupported, IEnumerable`1& skuData)
   at VSIXInstaller.App.Initialize(Boolean isRepairSupported)
   at VSIXInstaller.App.Initialize()
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.InnerInvoke()
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()

@cintuanginbox

PanagiotisCharalampous
19 Apr 2018, 09:13

Dear cintuanginbox,

VS 2017 is supported only for cTrader 3.0. 

Best Regards,

Panagiotis

@PanagiotisCharalampous

juangmez87
23 May 2018, 18:37

Error VS2105

Hello, i have developing last months with vs2015 and ctrader and calgo 2.01, because it is the version of my broker icmakert. Now , when i try to compile projects that before it was working, put an error in my vs2015 "update ctrader or calgo". I dont know if it has installed automatically a new version of VSExtesion of cAlgo but I cant work now. How can i fix it? if the new version of VSExtension 1.6 only work with ctrader3.0, i can reinstall the old version 1.4? Thank you very much, regards.

@juangmez87

PanagiotisCharalampous
24 May 2018, 09:50

Hi juangmez87,

Could you post a screenshot of the error message? 

Best Regards

Panagiotis

@PanagiotisCharalampous

juangmez87
24 May 2018, 10:37

RE:

Panagiotis Charalampous said:

Hi juangmez87,

Could you post a screenshot of the error message? 

Best Regards

Panagiotis

Hi Panagiotis, I fixecdyesterdary, My VSExtension was updated to 1.6 version and the error was "Update ctrader or cAlgo". I uninstalled and reinstalled version 1.4 and now everything it is ok, I image that version 1.6 only work with ctrader 3.0.

@juangmez87

PanagiotisCharalampous
24 May 2018, 10:40

Hi juangmez87,

I have both versions and did not experience this issue. Anyway, by next week you should have received cTrader 3.0 for ICMarkets as well, therefore you should not have this issue anymore.

Best Regards,

Panagiotis

@PanagiotisCharalampous

acrigney
25 May 2018, 02:24

RE:

I was unable to get VS2017 working again with cAlgo on my new machine, can you send me your mainfest file. I am using VS2017 Version 15.5.3

Panagiotis Charalampous said:

Hi juangmez87,

I have both versions and did not experience this issue. Anyway, by next week you should have received cTrader 3.0 for ICMarkets as well, therefore you should not have this issue anymore.

Best Regards,

Panagiotis

@acrigney