Absolute ATR (ATR%) Indicator

Created at 07 Mar 2023, 16:25
How’s your experience with the cTrader Platform?
Your feedback is crucial to cTrader's development. Please take a few seconds to share your opinion and help us improve your trading experience. Thanks!
HA

Hansen

Joined 30.01.2023

Absolute ATR (ATR%) Indicator
07 Mar 2023, 16:25

I want Absolute ATR (ATR%) Indicator, where could i find it?

When it comes to recognizing long-term trends, it could be recommended using Absolute ATR (ATR%) as it will not depend on a price level of an analyzed stock or index. As an example, before 1973 crash the S&P 500 index was traded around $110 and before crash in 2008 the same S&P 500 index was traded around $1500. Such, in the first case the ATR was around 2.3 points and in the second case the ATR was around 30 points. However, in both cases, prior to the crash the Absolute ATR (ATR%) was below 2% and during the crash above 2%. As you may see, the Absolute Average True Range indicator allows comparing different securities and different periods in order to find patterns.

@Hansen
Replies

firemyst
09 Mar 2023, 07:59

RE:

hansenlovefiona said:

I want Absolute ATR (ATR%) Indicator, where could i find it?

When it comes to recognizing long-term trends, it could be recommended using Absolute ATR (ATR%) as it will not depend on a price level of an analyzed stock or index. As an example, before 1973 crash the S&P 500 index was traded around $110 and before crash in 2008 the same S&P 500 index was traded around $1500. Such, in the first case the ATR was around 2.3 points and in the second case the ATR was around 30 points. However, in both cases, prior to the crash the Absolute ATR (ATR%) was below 2% and during the crash above 2%. As you may see, the Absolute Average True Range indicator allows comparing different securities and different periods in order to find patterns.

TRy looking here:

@firemyst