Indicator Print in cBot

Created at 05 Apr 2021, 20:36
How’s your experience with the cTrader Platform?
Your feedback is crucial to cTrader's development. Please take a few seconds to share your opinion and help us improve your trading experience. Thanks!
JE

JerryTrader

Joined 06.01.2021

Indicator Print in cBot
05 Apr 2021, 20:36

Hi all, 

I developed an indicator, and it Print messages in the Log tab.

For some unknown reason, it doesn't display the same way when I add it to a chart of a cBot backtest, so I would like to see the logs of my indicator to understand why some Outputs are not displayed on the chart.

Is there a way to display logs (or get a file somewhere) of an indicator when it is instanciated elsewhere than the Indicator tab?

Thanks for your answers,
Cheers,
Jerry

@JerryTrader
Replies

PanagiotisCharalampous
06 Apr 2021, 08:45

Hi JerryTrader,

The indicator should print the messages if you are in the cTrader Automate section. If not, please share the source code to check. Alternatively, you can export your messages in a csv file.

Best Regards,

Panagiotis 

Join us on Telegram

@PanagiotisCharalampous

JerryTrader
06 Apr 2021, 10:38 ( Updated at: 21 Dec 2023, 09:22 )

RE:

PanagiotisCharalampous said:

The indicator should print the messages if you are in the cTrader Automate section.

I can't get the indicator logs displayed anywhere else than the Indicator instance itself.

If not, please share the source code to check.

using System;
using cAlgo.API;
using cAlgo.API.Internals;
using cAlgo.API.Indicators;
using cAlgo.Indicators;

namespace cAlgo
{
    [Indicator(IsOverlay = true, TimeZone = TimeZones.UTC, AccessRights = AccessRights.None)]
    public class TestPrintMessages : Indicator
    {
        [Parameter(DefaultValue = 0.0)]
        public double Parameter { get; set; }

[Output("Main")]
        public IndicatorDataSeries Result { get; set; }

[Output("Moving Average")]
        public IndicatorDataSeries ResultMtfMa { get; set; }

private Bars _mtfBars;
        private MovingAverage _mtfMa;

protected override void Initialize()
        {
            _mtfBars = MarketData.GetBars(TimeFrame.Daily);
            _mtfMa = Indicators.MovingAverage(_mtfBars.ClosePrices, 100, MovingAverageType.Exponential);
        }

public override void Calculate(int index)
        {
            var mtfMaIndex = _mtfBars.OpenTimes.GetIndexByTime(Bars.OpenTimes[index]);
            if (mtfMaIndex != -1)
            {
                Print(string.Format("Index is {0}. Mtf Index is {1}", index, mtfMaIndex)); 
                ResultMtfMa[index] = _mtfMa.Result[mtfMaIndex];
            }
        }
    }
}

Given the code above :

OK : cTrader Automate section -> Indicators -> Test Print Messages instance

NOK : cTrader Automate section -> cBot -> Basic cBot that does nothing else than printing a message on start

NOK : cTrader Automate section -> cBot -> Backtesting the basic cBot that does nothing else than printing a message on start

@JerryTrader

PanagiotisCharalampous
06 Apr 2021, 10:53

Hi JerryTrader,

You haven't shared your cBot code.

Best Regards,

Panagiotis 

Join us on Telegram

@PanagiotisCharalampous

JerryTrader
06 Apr 2021, 11:05

RE: RE:

JerryTrader said:

NOK : cTrader Automate section -> cBot -> Basic cBot that does nothing else than printing a message on start

using cAlgo.API;

namespace cAlgo
{
    [Robot(TimeZone = TimeZones.UTC, AccessRights = AccessRights.FileSystem)]
    public class PrintMessagesTests : Robot
    {
        protected override void OnStart()
        {
            base.OnStart();
            Print("Print Messages test bot started");
        }

protected override void OnStop()
        {
            base.OnStop();
            Print("Print Messages test bot stopped");
        }
    }
}

@JerryTrader

PanagiotisCharalampous
06 Apr 2021, 11:09

Hi JerryTrader,

Your cBot does not use the indicator in any way. Why do you expect to see any messages?

Best Regards,

Panagiotis 

Join us on Telegram

@PanagiotisCharalampous

JerryTrader
06 Apr 2021, 11:22

RE:

Hi PanagiotisCharalampous,

As I said, my chart does, not my cBot.

JerryTrader said:

For some unknown reason, it doesn't display the same way when I add it to a chart of a cBot backtest, so I would like to see the logs of my indicator to understand why some Outputs are not displayed on the chart.

I have a complex indicator that works fine in the Indicators tab, the cBot live instance and in cTrader Trade, but when I add it to a chart of a cBot backtest, it doesn't behave the same way.
I have no idea why an indicator would be displayed differently when used with the same settings, so I want to debug this by writing some messages and see what's going on.

Hence my question:

JerryTrader said:

Is there a way to display logs (or get a file somewhere) of an indicator when it is instanciated elsewhere than the Indicator tab?

@JerryTrader

PanagiotisCharalampous
06 Apr 2021, 12:24

Hi JerryTrader,

Indicators added to the backtesting chart cannot use the backtesting log to print messages. Maybe try calling the indicator from a cBot. In this case, you should be able to see the messages.

Best Regards,

Panagiotis 

Join us on Telegram

@PanagiotisCharalampous

JerryTrader
06 Apr 2021, 16:47

RE:

PanagiotisCharalampous said:

Hi JerryTrader,

Indicators added to the backtesting chart cannot use the backtesting log to print messages. Maybe try calling the indicator from a cBot. In this case, you should be able to see the messages.

Best Regards,

Panagiotis 

Join us on Telegram

Hmmm ok. 
I will try that. I can also log indicator messages to a file so that I don't have to create a cBot just to get logs from an indicator.

As long as I have workarounds, I'm fine ;)
But I think it could be handy to add a feature to let the user choose the log sources in the Log tab.

While you're there (sorry, this is off-topic but I can't find any answer...):
For 2-3 weeks now, I don't receive any notifications about the topics I am subscribed to. For example, if I don't visit/refresh this page, I'm not able to see if you answered to it.
I checked my settings and everything seems fine to me. I posted a message in the cTrader Web section, and I reported an issue through Pepperstone cTrader. I really have no idea where to report this so it can be fixed...

Can you please redirect me to the right place, or report this to the right team ?

@JerryTrader