how to automatically/programmatically acquire FIXAPI host name information and especially its changes?

Created at 28 May 2024, 15:09
How’s your experience with the cTrader Platform?
Your feedback is crucial to cTrader's development. Please take a few seconds to share your opinion and help us improve your trading experience. Thanks!
AL

algotraderbot

Joined 03.04.2024

how to automatically/programmatically acquire FIXAPI host name information and especially its changes?
28 May 2024, 15:09

Today, I found my FIXAPI application was not working for hours.  After some investigation, the root cause was identified. The FIXAPI host name in cTrader App was changed. Previously, it was live1.p.ctrader.com, but now it is live-uk-eqx-02.p.ctrader.com. After rewriting the host name in the app's credential information section, the app started working as before. 

However, the issue is that the several hour gap made the app not usable for next several days (if not weeks), since the continuity is very important to analyze the price changes and chart patterns. Luckily there was no open positions, but if there were, that may have caused unexpected losses.  

Also, thinking about the future, if I need to constantly check whether the hostname has changed or not in cTrader App and manually rewrite the code when changed, it significantly undermines the degree of automation. 

How can I detect the change of the FIXAPI hostname automatically/programmatically?  Or at least I would like to get the notification of the change in advance so that I do not need to go to check from my side.

@algotraderbot
Replies

PanagiotisCharalampous
29 May 2024, 05:42

Hi there,

Unfortunately there is no way to do this. Hopefully such changes do not happen often. What you could do would be to monitor the connection i.e. receiving heartbeats from the server. If your application stops receiving heartbeats, it should notify you.

Best regards,

Panagiotis 

@PanagiotisCharalampous

algotraderbot
29 May 2024, 05:47 ( Updated at: 29 May 2024, 05:53 )

RE: how to automatically/programmatically acquire FIXAPI host name information and especially its changes?

PanagiotisCharalampous said: 

Hi there,

Unfortunately there is no way to do this. Hopefully such changes do not happen often. What you could do would be to monitor the connection i.e. receiving heartbeats from the server. If your application stops receiving heartbeats, it should notify you.

Best regards,

Panagiotis 

Oh, that is a bad news… Critical for any serious automated systems, may be good for hobbyists though… 

Are you from cTrader official? Do you have any plan to implement this? 

Or don't you notify the changes of the host names earlier? Your suggestion is not prior notification, just a troubleshooting after the problem occurs. You should know when the hostname changes. Please notify BEFORE you do that. Most online systems notify planned changes earlier to the users. There is no reason that such a mission critical trading system does not do this. 

@algotraderbot

scispow
07 Jun 2024, 20:37 ( Updated at: 07 Jun 2024, 20:58 )

RE: RE: how to automatically/programmatically acquire FIXAPI host name information and especially its changes?

algotraderbot said: 

PanagiotisCharalampous said: 

Hi there,

Best regards,

Panagiotis 

Oh, that is a bad news… Critical for any serious automated systems, may be good for hobbyists though… 

Are you from cTrader official? Do you have any plan to implement this? 

Or don't you notify the changes of the host names earlier? Your suggestion is not prior notification, just a troubleshooting after the problem occurs. You should know when the hostname changes. Please notify BEFORE you do that. Most online systems notify planned changes earlier to the users. There is no reason that such a mission critical trading system does not do this. 

Isn't it aws global accelerator ?

@scispow

azapmodz
08 Jun 2024, 17:50 ( Updated at: 10 Jun 2024, 05:59 )

RE: how to automatically/programmatically acquire FIXAPI host name information and especially its changes?

Hey @PanagiotisCharalampous, i have a problem i hope i can receive your help on. I posted on the cTrader forum just recently under the username @azapmodz, my post is one of the newest. I feel like i have tried everything to fix this issue, but without any luck. Please reply to me post or email me at azapmodz@gmail.com 

azapmodz
08 Jun 2024, 17:51 ( Updated at: 10 Jun 2024, 05:59 )

RE: RE: how to automatically/programmatically acquire FIXAPI host name information and especially its changes?

Hey @algotraderbot, i have a problem i hope i can receive your help on. I posted on the cTrader forum just recently under the username @azapmodz, my post is one of the newest. I feel like i have tried everything to fix this issue, but without any luck. Please reply to me post or email me at azapmodz@gmail.com