FIX API Host IP Changes Unpredictably

Created at 21 Jan 2023, 04:54
How’s your experience with the cTrader Platform?
Your feedback is crucial to cTrader's development. Please take a few seconds to share your opinion and help us improve your trading experience. Thanks!
AE

aerich48

Joined 10.01.2018

FIX API Host IP Changes Unpredictably
21 Jan 2023, 04:54

I have written an application that uses the cTrader FIX API, either for Demo or Live accounts.

This application has worked for the past few years, BUT suffers from an intractable problem:

Once we are connected to a host, and logged in, every API function works OK, BUT the host

drops out unpredictably. There is NO WARNING, and NO CLUE about a fallback host name.

Attempts to re-connect all FAIL. Total logout, disconnect, and reconnects FAIL.

A clue is that: The host for my particular broker seemed to switch on the platform, from

hxx.p.ctrader.com to hyy.p.ctrader.com and then back again, but without warning.

We can sometimes reconnect on the API but only after waiting, say, 6 or more hours. It seems that a host

can become overloaded, and then the system switches to another host - but there is NO WARNING,

and we have NO IDEA what other host we might use, except for the above 2 guesses. The problem has

been made worse lately, because cTrader NO LONGER provides a Host Name in the Settings -> FIX API

section of the web platform. Instead, it ONLY provides an IP Address - then, it tells us that this could

change at any time !! That is a COMPLETELY UNUSABLE solution. This started happening around Jan 2023.

I first reported this problem a few years ago, and it has NEVER BEEN FIXED. As advised, I tried logging

out and back in again - none of that works UNTIL that host becomes usable again.

Many other users of the FIX API have reported this problem, but "support" keeps insisting that the

"Proxy Servers" are always running OK, and that it is a "network problem". This is nonsense. It has been

tested thousands of times, and is found to be completely unreliable.

We need the following to be fixed:

1. Provide a real working web address for a Host (Demo or Live) i.e, hxx.p.ctrader.com in "Settings", where

"xx" is a valid, working host number.

2. By all means do load balancing from that host, but that host MUST be a fixed permanent name,

just like all legitimate API hosts for trading.

3. Show this address in the "Settings -> FIX API" section of the Web or Desktop platform.

4. Make sure that the hosts work properly for both Demo and Live accounts.

If this problem is NOT fixed, then the cTrader FIX API becomes UNUSABLE i.e, WORTHLESS for trading.

At present, it is NOT practical to use the OpenAPI, and FIX is far simpler and more efficient anyway.

I hope that someone can solve this issue, and I will NOT be sending FIX message examples,

since that has all been done before, with NO POSITIVE results.

With EVERYTHING ELSE working so well on this advanced platform, you would think that this

problem deserved serious attention.

Thanks in advance :)

@aerich48
Replies

lukepoga
10 Jul 2023, 09:42

did they fix this?

Looking to consider cTrader FIX. Did they give you a solution? What did you do?

@lukepoga

algotraderbot
03 Apr 2024, 11:50 ( Updated at: 04 Apr 2024, 05:46 )

Any update? I am facing the same issue. This is essential for making FIXAPI usable. 

@algotraderbot

PanagiotisCharalampous
04 Apr 2024, 05:53 ( Updated at: 04 Apr 2024, 05:54 )

Hi there,

Can you please provide a screenshot demonstrating this issue?

Best regards,

Panagiotis

@PanagiotisCharalampous

algotraderbot
04 Apr 2024, 06:21 ( Updated at: 04 Apr 2024, 06:22 )

RE: FIX API Host IP Changes Unpredictably

PanagiotisCharalampous said: 

Hi there,

Can you please provide a screenshot demonstrating this issue?

Best regards,

Panagiotis

I am talking about the risk that may happen and, therfoer, asking a screenshot for this is a kind of non-sense. Also, honestly, I do not understand what you want to confirm from the screenshot. 

Without any screenshot, the issues described in following are obvious for anyone, I believe

• The IP can change without notice, as YOU say in cTrader UI (you want to have a screenshot for this? really? )
  • When IP changes, any automated trading bot collapses (you want to have any proof for this? really? )
  • There is no way that the new IP is noticed automatically to the trading bot. (you want the proof of this from the users? really? )

This situation makes cTrader FIXAPI almost meaningless, because IP changes may undermine the automation, which is the key reason to use FIXAPI. Therefore, followings are required, for example

• Fix IP address 
  • Inform IP address change 48 hours prior to that
  • Make it available for the automated bot to acquire current IP address from API

Otherwise, cTrader FIXAPI is nothing but a toy, not a serious product. 

@algotraderbot

PanagiotisCharalampous
04 Apr 2024, 12:09

Hi there,

IP addresses change without notice therefore you should use host names instead. It is clearly explained inside the form

The issue I am referring to is host names missing, forcing somebody to use an IP instead. At the moment, we cannot reproduce any such issue. Host names appear and do not chance. Even if the host name changes in your form, it does not mean that the other one is not working. All host names should work at any time.

Best regards,

Panagiotis

@PanagiotisCharalampous