What if I Logon to only Trade server and do not get any Quotes from Market Data

Created at 16 Nov 2018, 17:01
How’s your experience with the cTrader Platform?
Your feedback is crucial to cTrader's development. Please take a few seconds to share your opinion and help us improve your trading experience. Thanks!
NE

netread2004

Joined 26.12.2017

What if I Logon to only Trade server and do not get any Quotes from Market Data
16 Nov 2018, 17:01

I just recently started trading using FIX Protocol.

I am using FIX API Sample to test out FIX environment and trading.

I am using GUI that comes up after I run the program in MS Visual Studio.

I neither Log on to QUOTE server nor Use "Spot Market Data Request" to subscribe to Market data stream.

I use directly "Logon" button under "Trade stream" and then place some market orders and Pending order and so on.

I am able to trade using these menu without any issues.

My question is what is the advantage of loging on to Price Stearm and subscribing to Quote server?

Will it lessen the slippage I see while I open and close the postions using FIX message by using Robot?

What if I only use Trade Stream to trade with broker will it make any difference in latency as opposed to trading after subscribing to "Price Stream"?

Is the "FIX" under channel column of cTrader GUI is confirmation of the fact that it has been placing these orders on FIX server?

I would appreciate if someone could answer these questions and comment on these topics.

thanks

@netread2004
Replies

PanagiotisCharalampous
19 Nov 2018, 11:57

Hi netread2004,

There is no difference in execution if you subscribe to quotes or not. You will sunscribe to quotes only if you are interested in receiving quote prices for a symbol.

Regarding "Is the "FIX" under channel column of cTrader GUI is confirmation of the fact that it has been placing these orders on FIX server?"

It means that the orders have been placed via FIX.

Best Regards,

Panagiotis

@PanagiotisCharalampous

netread2004
19 Nov 2018, 13:50

Thanks for your response.

So, what are the advantages of quote price over the normal price?

Is there any SPREAD advatage?  

Looks like there could be spread advantage as QUOTE comes from directly LPs and prices without quote comes from cTrader Broker. Am I right?

@netread2004

PanagiotisCharalampous
19 Nov 2018, 14:00

Hi netread2004,

I am not sure what do you mean with normal price. The prices you receive via FIX are exactly the same with the ones you receive in cTrader.

Best Regards,

Panagiotis

@PanagiotisCharalampous

netread2004
19 Nov 2018, 17:52

Hi Panagiotis,

I hate to ask you same question again but please bare with me.

If there is no execution/speed advatage by using QUOTE and the price received via FIX is same as cTrader then is there any other advantage of using QUOTE stream?

If I want to think in terms of speed in communicating with FIX server then this QUOTE thing is redundant is it not as far as reducing slippage?

Is there any reference that gives detailed info about this? I don't see this question very obvious although I am new to this field.

There must be some advantage of using QUOTE stream and I am only interested in using it if I get any advantage in terms of slippage or spread.

From your messages it looks like there is none.

Your comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

@netread2004

PanagiotisCharalampous
20 Nov 2018, 09:21

Hi netread2004,

The advantage of using quote prices via FIX API is that you can get the price stream via an API. Therefore you do not need to rely on cTrader UI for pricing since you can use the FIX API price stream and build your own application. Prices received via FIX should arrive slighly faster since there is no UI overhead. The same applies for trades sent via FIX. Therefore the benefit of using FIX is faster communication with the server. There is no difference when it comes to prices and spreads.

Let me know if this answers your questions.

Best Regards,

Panagiotis

@PanagiotisCharalampous

netread2004
21 Nov 2018, 14:33

Thanks for clarification.

So, there is definitly some advantage in using FIX message for trading.

Thanks again for your help in understanding FIX.

@netread2004