Latency

Created at 31 May 2017, 23:50
How’s your experience with the cTrader Platform?
Your feedback is crucial to cTrader's development. Please take a few seconds to share your opinion and help us improve your trading experience. Thanks!
J.

j.tarno

Joined 10.03.2017

Latency
31 May 2017, 23:50

Hello,

I hope this is the right category for this post.
I am using a VPS from ULTRAFX VPS. They are in the in the "list of VPS Hosting Service Providers, that have been tested for optimal latency and compatibility with cAlgo". As describe here

From my VPS I have a ping of 8ms. That is not really slow but far beyond a fast connection like being cross connected.

My question: Is it because ULTRAFX VPS is not cross connected and are there other hosters that have a better latency for trading using FIX?

Thank you very much,
Jan.

@j.tarno
Replies

kricka
01 Jun 2017, 00:17

Latency between brokers and different VPS is hard to measure. 8ms is acceptable though through a VPS, but better with a lower ms. Cross connected is not really of a greater value, unless you trade with a very high account balance and you are in the demand for the best execution speed at all times.

@kricka

j.tarno
01 Jun 2017, 10:17

Your post is not answering my question - but thank you anyway.

Adressed to the cTrader staff: On your page you describe ULTRAFX VPS as an optimal VPS provider. The latency is rather slow. I would like to know if there is a fast connection with other VPS providers without trying them one by one. Also ULTRAFX VPS is writing about you being a partner of them on their homepage. I asked them if your are cross connected and the answer was: "There are countless FX brokers and we can not have a cross connection to all of them. " So they actually do not know you.

Kind regards,

Jan.

@j.tarno

Spotware
01 Jun 2017, 12:46

Dear j.tarno,

On our VPS page we add providers that offer a connection to our servers that is much better than the average. We test these servers besed on this criterion before recommending them to our users. This way we help you narrow down your market research from hundreds of VPS providers to only a few. Nevertheless, we test the servers only once and we can not guarantee any performance levels on behalf of the providers neither we can guarrantee that all of them will provide the same level of service. Therefore you are strongly adviced to do your own market research before deciding which VPS provider you will use.

@Spotware

kricka
01 Jun 2017, 22:58

Latency on a VPS, not the whole story

The latency from a VPS to the brokers trading server is not the whole story here. There is also latency in a trader's computerware when executing trades locally. Also to consider is the execution latency in the platform itself. If the latency is, to give an example, 150ms to execute an order within the broker's platform server, does it matter that much if then you have 2ms or 10ms on the VPS? No, it does not matter that much but always better with lower latency, then higher. What matters is that a VPS hardly ever goes down and as a trader, one can relax knowing that the cBot will be running when the personal trading computer is turned off, or if there is a malfunctioning in the electricity or the internet connection. The VPS will still be going strong.

More information can be had at this link: VPS

@kricka