Some newbie FIX questions.

Created at 21 Apr 2017, 16:14
How’s your experience with the cTrader Platform?
Your feedback is crucial to cTrader's development. Please take a few seconds to share your opinion and help us improve your trading experience. Thanks!
CT

ctid320840

Joined 21.04.2017

Some newbie FIX questions.
21 Apr 2017, 16:14

I'm new to the FIX API trading and have several questions.

1) How better is the cTrader FIX order execution time if compared with cTrader/cAlgo scheme or MQL4/5? For example, on Tickmill with MT4 and VPS in LD4  I have around 0.1-0.5sec for an order to execute. How much would I win by switching to FIX?  How worse that time is if compared with the execution time for FIX data coming from LP? As far as I could tell, this cTrader FIX server broadcasts the broker quotes, not the Tier 1, right? So there should be a delay in execution, therefore, slippage.

2) Having a separate cTrader FIX server means that I could use any coding language (C++ in my case) and not even bother about running cTrader platform. Am I correct on this?

3) Are there any examples on C++ on how to connect to FIX server through SSL, grab data feed and post requests? Yeah, reading the documentation is an option, but looking into the well-written code is better, I suppose.

@ctid320840
Replies

ctid320840
21 Apr 2017, 20:32

I was also playing with FIX-API-Sample program and noticed that by clicking too many times "Spot Market Data Request" i eventually get an error:

8=FIX.4.49=19235=j34=449=cServer50=QUOTE52=20170421-17:29:23.87456=icmarkets.326935757=QUOTE58=UNKNOWN_ERROR:Error while performing operation. ClientRequestId = EURUSD:WDqsoT379=EURUSD:WDqsoT380=010=213

Does that mean that frequent requests are not allowed? (btw, the broker i'm using is IC Markets)

Or is it the broker who is restricting too frequent requests?

@ctid320840

ctid320840
21 Apr 2017, 20:55

Also I would like to know how many connections to the FIX API server are allowed per account?

@ctid320840

#EOL
24 Apr 2017, 11:20

Sinse you can see in cTrader all the trades made via FIX and vice versa, I think all the trades are processing in the same kind in the same place. As for me, the only advantage of using FIX instead of cAlgo is that it could be done without any graphical UI, thus, consume less VPS resources.

Regarding the quotes: it's still the same platform and the same trading account, so you will get the same spots and standard DoM quotes

Regarding "Spot Market Data Request": you can send only one Market Data Request per symbol. Once you sent it you will begin to receive realtime spot quotes and all the next subscription requests will be rejected. If there is any restrictions on the request frequency you need to use another button to find it

Regarding multiple connections: I was able to make aroud 10 simultaneous connection for a single account. If there is a limitation, it's greater than 10

@#EOL

ctid320840
24 Apr 2017, 11:28

RE:

#EOL said:

Sinse you can see in cTrader all the trades made via FIX and vice versa, I think all the trades are processing in the same kind in the same place. As for me, the only advantage of using FIX instead of cAlgo is that it could be done without any graphical UI, thus, consume less VPS resources.

Regarding the quotes: it's still the same platform and the same trading account, so you will get the same spots and standard DoM quotes

Regarding "Spot Market Data Request": you can send only one Market Data Request per symbol. Once you sent it you will begin to receive realtime spot quotes and all the next subscription requests will be rejected. If there is any restrictions on the request frequency you need to use another button to find it

Regarding multiple connections: I was able to make aroud 10 simultaneous connection for a single account. If there is a limitation, it's greater than 10

Thank you for your response.

So have you noticed any difference in internal broker latency when trading with cTrader/cAlgo and cTrader/FIX? I was asking brokers about the difference in order processing time. They tend to say that in terms of their internal latency FIX is no better than regular cTrader execution. Could you confirm it?

And what is the latency I should expect when trading with cTrader/FIX (or just cTrader/cAlgo) on live account?

@ctid320840