Lost profit when closing

Created at 11 Sep 2024, 23:59
How’s your experience with the cTrader Platform?
Your feedback is crucial to cTrader's development. Please take a few seconds to share your opinion and help us improve your trading experience. Thanks!
RO

rob.p.marshall

Joined 27.12.2015

Lost profit when closing
11 Sep 2024, 23:59

When I have an open position (Positions TAB) and my trade is in Net Profit I then close that position. The details of that trade are transferred to History TAB. However, the Net profit has been reduced by exactly half a pip (5 points). There is no movement in the price and there is no swap. I tested this on 140 trades and all return the same outcome.

@rob.p.marshall
Replies

PanagiotisCharalampous
12 Sep 2024, 09:23

Hi there,

Can you share screenshots so that we can see at as well? Can you show all the necessary info like closing price, commissions etc?

Best regards,

Panagiotis

@PanagiotisCharalampous

rob.p.marshall
12 Sep 2024, 16:07

RE: Lost profit when closing

PanagiotisCharalampous said: 

Hi there,

Can you share screenshots so that we can see at as well? Can you show all the necessary info like closing price, commissions etc?

Best regards,

Panagiotis

You can see that the top trade on the left Positions Panel has a NET AUD of 2683.16. Exit the trade and that trade moves to the right History panel. There is no movement in the price and no swap.

Issue 1) Net AUD in Positions TAB wrong. You will note that commission has already been applied in the Positions Panel of 446.93. But the difference between Gross AUD and Net AUD is 3577.02 less 2683.16 =893.86. When the position is closed, the Net AUD should be 3577.02 less 446.93 =3130.09. Note that if the Commission of 446.93 was in USD then that would convert to (446.93/0.67122=665.85)

Issue 2) Conversion of Net AUD when position closed. Next, you will see that when a Position is closed (no movement in price) a far greater commission is applied. Gross AUD in the positions Tab of 3577.02 to a Net AUD in the History Tab of 1788.66 is a difference of 1788.36 and should be only 446.93.

The Net Profit in the History Tab should be 3577.02 less 446.93 = 3130.09

Note that I closed 140 trades and every trade was the same. There appears to be an additional commission charge of 0.9 pip (9 points) on every trade.

@rob.p.marshall

PanagiotisCharalampous
13 Sep 2024, 05:50

Hi Rob,

I don't see anything weird in the screenshots. The commissions are applied on each deal, therefore in Positions tab you will only see the opening deal's commission. The rest of the commissions is applied on closing the position. Nevertheless, the entire commission amount. See screenshot below

Regarding your screenshots, I cannot associate the deals to the positions since the entry prices are different. Therefore you are probably comparing different things.

Best regards,

Panagiotis

@PanagiotisCharalampous

rob.p.marshall
13 Sep 2024, 09:02

RE: Lost profit when closing

Hi Rob,

I don't see anything weird in the screenshots. The commissions are applied on each deal, therefore in Positions tab you will only see the opening deal's commission. The rest of the commissions is applied on closing the position. Nevertheless, the entire commission amount. See screenshot below

Regarding your screenshots, I cannot associate the deals to the positions since the entry prices are different. Therefore you are probably comparing different things.

Best regards,

Panagiotis

Please refer to my charts above. I agree that at present the Positions TAB commission of 446.93 is a commission attributed to the purchase side of the open position. The Net AUD is the Gross AUD less twice the Commission. Therefore Gross AUD less Comm X 2 =Net AUD. Calculated as 3577.02 - 893.86 =2683.16. This is correct in the Positions TAB but the commission should be the round trip amount not half. This should be changed in cTrader.

However, if the market price did not change, there is no swap and a position is closed then the Net AUD amount in the Positions TAB of 2683.16 should be the same in the History TAB. The closing Gross AUD has changed between the Position Tab amount and the History TAB of 3577.02 to a lower amount of 2682.72. 

The Gross AUD amount in the Positions TAB and the Gross AUD in the History Tab should be the same when a position is closed. Being mindful that the market price has not changed. Therefore the History TAB Net AUD should be 2683.16 and NOT 1788.65

The Net AUD in the Position Tab should be what the trader expects to be attributed to their account balance when that position is closed (when the market did not move)

Please look at this issue more closely. The Gross AUD has secretly been changed when the market price did not move. I tested this on 140 trades and all were the same.

@rob.p.marshall

PanagiotisCharalampous
14 Sep 2024, 04:56

RE: RE: Lost profit when closing

rob.p.marshall said: 

Hi Rob,

Best regards,

Panagiotis

Please refer to my charts above. I agree that at present the Positions TAB commission of 446.93 is a commission attributed to the purchase side of the open position. The Net AUD is the Gross AUD less twice the Commission. Therefore Gross AUD less Comm X 2 =Net AUD. Calculated as 3577.02 - 893.86 =2683.16. This is correct in the Positions TAB but the commission should be the round trip amount not half. This should be changed in cTrader.

However, if the market price did not change, there is no swap and a position is closed then the Net AUD amount in the Positions TAB of 2683.16 should be the same in the History TAB. The closing Gross AUD has changed between the Position Tab amount and the History TAB of 3577.02 to a lower amount of 2682.72. 

The Gross AUD amount in the Positions TAB and the Gross AUD in the History Tab should be the same when a position is closed. Being mindful that the market price has not changed. Therefore the History TAB Net AUD should be 2683.16 and NOT 1788.65

The Net AUD in the Position Tab should be what the trader expects to be attributed to their account balance when that position is closed (when the market did not move)

Please look at this issue more closely. The Gross AUD has secretly been changed when the market price did not move. I tested this on 140 trades and all were the same.

Hi Rob,

There is no indication in the screenshots that the market has not moved. As I can see in the screenshots, the pips are different indicating that the closing price is different to the bid price at the moment you captured the screenshot for the positions.

@PanagiotisCharalampous

rob.p.marshall
14 Sep 2024, 20:19

RE: RE: RE: Lost profit when closing

rob.p.marshall said: 

Hi Rob,

Best regards,

Panagiotis

Hi Rob,

There is no indication in the screenshots that the market has not moved. As I can see in the screenshots, the pips are different indicating that the closing price is different to the bid price at the moment you captured the screenshot for the positions.

Hi Panagiotis

I took the above screenshots from a video. The market did NOT move. The issue is that cTrader changes the market price when a trade is closed by 0.5. I did this 140 times and every outcome was the same. Every time there was a difference of 0.5 pips exactly of the closing price which decreased my profit. If you say that the market moved then the difference would NOT be exactly 0.5 pips every time and at least half of the 140 trades would have the pips added and not deducted. THERE WAS NO MOVEMENT IN MARKET PRICE. Give me a way to send you a large video file and I will do a new video that will clearly show that there is NO movement in the market price. And the Offer price in the History TAB has been reduced (Opening Buy Positions) and a higher Market price when there was a Sell Open position.

Issue 1. The Commission in the Positions TAB should be X 2. It should be the amount of both enter and exit of the trade.

Issue 2. The NET AUD in the Positions TAB should be the exact Gross AUD less commission and swap. This allows the trader to know the exact profit (or loss) that will be attributed to their account if the position is closed at market price (being mindful that a change may occur if the market price moves during the milliseconds it takes to exit the position.)

Issue 3. When a position is closed and therefore moves from the Positions TAB to the History Tab the NET AUD in both TABS should be the same. (being mindful of any market price change during the exiting process which may add or deduct from the Potions Tab Net AUD amount)

@rob.p.marshall

rob.p.marshall
14 Sep 2024, 20:19

RE: RE: RE: Lost profit when closing

rob.p.marshall said: 

Hi Rob,

Best regards,

Panagiotis

Hi Rob,

Hi Panagiotis

I took the above screenshots from a video. The market did NOT move. The issue is that cTrader changes the market price when a trade is closed by 0.5. I did this 140 times and every outcome was the same. Every time there was a difference of 0.5 pips exactly of the closing price which decreased my profit. If you say that the market moved then the difference would NOT be exactly 0.5 pips every time and at least half of the 140 trades would have the pips added and not deducted. THERE WAS NO MOVEMENT IN MARKET PRICE. Give me a way to send you a large video file and I will do a new video that will clearly show that there is NO movement in the market price. And the Offer price in the History TAB has been reduced (Opening Buy Positions) and a higher Market price when there was a Sell Open position.

Issue 1. The Commission in the Positions TAB should be X 2. It should be the amount of both enter and exit of the trade.

Issue 2. The NET AUD in the Positions TAB should be the exact Gross AUD less commission and swap. This allows the trader to know the exact profit (or loss) that will be attributed to their account if the position is closed at market price (being mindful that a change may occur if the market price moves during the milliseconds it takes to exit the position.)

Issue 3. When a position is closed and therefore moves from the Positions TAB to the History Tab the NET AUD in both TABS should be the same. (being mindful of any market price change during the exiting process which may add or deduct from the Potions Tab Net AUD amount)

@rob.p.marshall

PanagiotisCharalampous
15 Sep 2024, 05:34

RE: RE: RE: RE: Lost profit when closing

rob.p.marshall said: 

rob.p.marshall said: 

Hi Rob,

Best regards,

Panagiotis

Hi Rob,

Hi Panagiotis

Hi Rob,

This is by design and has been working like since the release of cTrader. We cannot show commissions that have not been realized yet, since there is always the possibility the commissions to change by the time the position is closed. Nevertheless, the current commission price is estimated in the P&L, which is an estimation

Execution is not handled by cTrader but by your broker. cTrader just displays the values based on the prices received by the broker's LP i.e. spot prices, closing prices. So positions P&L is calculated based on spot prices and deals P&L based on closing prices. cTrader determined neither of them. You should talk to your broker about this. 

@PanagiotisCharalampous