Who got drunk and butchered Algo?

Created at 04 Jul 2024, 01:43
How’s your experience with the cTrader Platform?
Your feedback is crucial to cTrader's development. Please take a few seconds to share your opinion and help us improve your trading experience. Thanks!
BB

BBMG

Joined 21.10.2022

Who got drunk and butchered Algo?
04 Jul 2024, 01:43

TLDR; Aside of living with whatever bugs were present, are there any long term downsides, particularly with regards to security, if I run the prior version of cTrader which has an algo section that is far more feature rich and better laid out than the latest version?

The new algo section is a massive step in the wrong direction. The UX/UI had me checking if it was April 1st.

The thumbnail layout is awful. Titles are truncated if longer than 20 chars. If you have a large library of bots it's a mess. If you create multiple iterations of a bot for testing and development it gets very cluttered.

Clicking a bot thumbnail takes you to an intermediary page that offers nothing of any importance, it's just an added step before you can get to the code editor and/or parameters.

Arguably the most important settings before deploying a bot are its parameters. Hidden away in the poorly titled “Public Settings”, I assume this is the only place you can change the symbol and period for a bot? Do you really need to create multiple instances of a bot for each set of parameters?

When you add a bot to a chart you've got no option to change its parameters from the chart view, you have to go back to algo, back through the stupid intermediary page, click on the poorly titled "Public settings" button that opens a window that finally provides its parameters. Why not allow for the settings dialog to be opened by double clicking the bot widget on the chart?

Where did the entire optimization section go?

I feel like I must be missing something, I thought the cTrader forum would be inundated with algo traders questioning the heavy handed changes that have effectively resulted in the gutting of this all important section. It's been stripped, what's going on?

@BBMG
Replies

firemyst
04 Jul 2024, 03:08 ( Updated at: 04 Jul 2024, 06:39 )

I also don't like now how all the “Start buttons” for bots are the same color, so you can no longer tell if you're starting a bot for demo or live account based on its color (previously demo accounts had blue buttons and live accounts had green buttons). To compound that, a user can no longer go by the account shown in the top right, but has to look at every account next to every instance they want to start. 

Each bot instance listed now also takes up twice as much height as before, so as you say when you have a lot of bot instances there, it's double the amount of scrolling and such users have to go through now with little additional information.

I would be totally happy if they just rolled back to the latest 4.8 version – at least that would fix the bugs that have been introduced since version 5 and still affecting core functionality.

EDIT: I don't know if I add any weight since I have no relation to Spotware other than being a vocal user in these forums :-)

@firemyst

BBMG
04 Jul 2024, 03:43 ( Updated at: 04 Jul 2024, 03:45 )

RE: Who got drunk and butchered Algo?

Thanks for adding some weight to the conversation with your considered reply firemyst

With such vast sweeping changes, the very least Spotware could do is allow users to run the previous version (and ideally provide support for it).

Alternatively, have a “use legacy interface" option. Although it seems like they've effectively scrapped the algo / back-testing / optimization sections entirely and are offering bare bones functionality for the sake of starting from scratch to build on a new foundation, the cloud.

For a platform that touts itself as “by traders, for traders” it certainly doesn't feel like it. In fact it feels more like Apple's approach.. just change things and expect users to fall into line.

I'm certainly disappointed. Unfortunately I know posting my opinion is nothing more than venting, because they won't take heed to any advice regarding the direction they've taken with Algo.

@BBMG

PanagiotisCharalampous
04 Jul 2024, 05:00

Hi there,

Arguably the most important settings before deploying a bot are its parameters. Hidden away in the poorly titled “Public Settings”, I assume this is the only place you can change the symbol and period for a bot? Do you really need to create multiple instances of a bot for each set of parameters?

Not sure what do you mean. It's as easy as before

When you add a bot to a chart you've got no option to change its parameters from the chart view, you have to go back to algo, back through the stupid intermediary page, click on the poorly titled "Public settings" button that opens a window that finally provides its parameters. Why not allow for the settings dialog to be opened by double clicking the bot widget on the chart?

Still not clear. Here it is

Where did the entire optimization section go?

Where it always was

@PanagiotisCharalampous

BBMG
04 Jul 2024, 05:47 ( Updated at: 04 Jul 2024, 05:50 )

RE: Who got drunk and butchered Algo?

Panagiotis my sincere apologies. I've got mud on my face and I'm glad I do because it means Spotware hasn't gutted Algo.. I'm extremely relieved!

I have a custom firewall app that was allowing charts to function normally but completely blocked Algo. The only thing I could see was the panel containing cBot and Indicator thumbnails, nothing existed under the Algo tab, it simply wasn't showing at all, I couldn't even expand it.. so you can imagine my disappointment in thinking the entire Algo panel had been scrapped.

Again, I'm sorry I jumped to conclusions and I'm relieved to see everything is as it should be.

BBMG

P.s. Feel free to delete or archive this forum post, it serves no other purpose than to embarrass me.. although feel free to leave it if you think that's fair punishment ;)

@BBMG