Application unresponsive during backtest after adding an Indicator that uses Chart.DrawTrendLine()

Created at 20 Jun 2024, 08:52
How’s your experience with the cTrader Platform?
Your feedback is crucial to cTrader's development. Please take a few seconds to share your opinion and help us improve your trading experience. Thanks!
GR

graham.kiff

Joined 07.07.2023

Application unresponsive during backtest after adding an Indicator that uses Chart.DrawTrendLine()
20 Jun 2024, 08:52

cTrader Desktop for Windows v5.0.25

Steps to reproduce…

Run a large-ish backtest (small number of bars don't present this problem), for example:
Sample cBot Reference SMA with default params
EURUSD m1
Backtest range = 1/May/2024 - 16/June/2024

All fine so far

Add the Test indicator (which I've included below)

Re-run the same backtest, still all fine

Change the indicator and set ShowLines = true

Now every time you re-run the same backtest with ShowLines enabled, the application freezes for several seconds, but eventually comes back to life.

With ShowLines = false, the problem never occurs, so it appears to be related to a high-ish number of backtest bars in combination with Chart.DrawTrendLine()

[Indicator(AccessRights = AccessRights.None, IsOverlay = true)]    public class Test : Indicator    {        [Parameter]        public bool ShowLines { get; set; }        [Output("Result", LineColor = "Yellow", PlotType = PlotType.Points, Thickness = 3)]        public IndicatorDataSeries Result { get; set; }        public override void Calculate(int index)        {            double result = double.NaN;                if (Bars.LowPrices[index] > Bars.HighPrices[index - 2])            {                result = (Bars.LowPrices[index]+ Bars.HighPrices[index - 2]) * 0.5;                if (ShowLines)                {                    Chart.DrawTrendLine($"FVG_U{index}", index - 2, Bars.LowPrices[index], index, Bars.LowPrices[index], Result.Line.Color, 1, LineStyle.Dots);                    Chart.DrawTrendLine($"FVG_L{index}", index - 2, Bars.HighPrices[index - 2], index, Bars.HighPrices[index - 2], Result.Line.Color, 1, LineStyle.Dots);                }            }            else if (Bars.HighPrices[index] < Bars.LowPrices[index - 2])            {                result = (Bars.LowPrices[index - 2] + Bars.HighPrices[index]) * 0.5;                if (ShowLines)                {                    Chart.DrawTrendLine($"FVG_U{index}", index - 2, Bars.LowPrices[index - 2], index, Bars.LowPrices[index - 2], Result.Line.Color, 1, LineStyle.Dots);                    Chart.DrawTrendLine($"FVG_L{index}", index - 2, Bars.HighPrices[index], index, Bars.HighPrices[index], Result.Line.Color, 1, LineStyle.Dots);                }            }                Result[index - 1] = result;        }    }

@graham.kiff
Replies

firemyst
10 Jul 2024, 05:57

cTrader doesn't appear to be well architected at the moment in how it handles drawings. 

The only way I've been able to find a way around this issue is I have to put a parameter in any indicator that draws anything, to limit the number of drawings it does.

So if for that value I put 200, it'll draw a line or rectangle for the last 200 bars. As soon as a new bar is started, it removes the drawings from 201 bars ago if you see what I mean.

@firemyst

PanagiotisCharalampous
11 Jul 2024, 06:32

Hi all,

Drawing lines on the chart is an resource intensive operation. If you intent to use it heavily, you should expect performance issues.

Best regards,

Panagiotis

@PanagiotisCharalampous