Targets different on backtest and live

Created at 17 Feb 2024, 05:32
How’s your experience with the cTrader Platform?
Your feedback is crucial to cTrader's development. Please take a few seconds to share your opinion and help us improve your trading experience. Thanks!
AC

acrigney

Joined 25.05.2017

Targets different on backtest and live
17 Feb 2024, 05:32

Guys here are results from my backtests on one of my bots using limit orders  with a target of 1 pip but on backtest all of the orders complete up to a target result of 10 pips. I don't think that this is due to slipage. These backtest results also were not in visual mode.

Results are for yesterday and for this month.https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ChtEUa06dDAhLQ4DM2J_kkMG1JRX33Yx?usp=drive_link

@acrigney
Replies

PanagiotisCharalampous
17 Feb 2024, 10:40

Hi acrigney,

I do not understand what is the issue you are trying to describe here :) Can you elaborate more on your description?

Best regards,

Panagiotis

@PanagiotisCharalampous

acrigney
17 Feb 2024, 11:19

RE: Targets different on backtest and live

The target pips for my limit orders is only 1 pip and on live the winning orders are around the 1 pip amount. But on the backtesting the limit orders take much more than that. This might be caused by there being a lot less data on backtesting than on live?

PanagiotisCharalampous said: 

Hi acrigney,

I do not understand what is the issue you are trying to describe here :) Can you elaborate more on your description?

Best regards,

Panagiotis

@acrigney

PanagiotisCharalampous
18 Feb 2024, 06:52

RE: RE: Targets different on backtest and live

acrigney said: 

The target pips for my limit orders is only 1 pip and on live the winning orders are around the 1 pip amount. But on the backtesting the limit orders take much more than that. This might be caused by there being a lot less data on backtesting than on live?

Hi acrigney,

Best regards,

Panagiotis

How can we reproduce this?

@PanagiotisCharalampous

acrigney
22 Feb 2024, 11:06

RE: RE: RE: Targets different on backtest and live

So sorry mate its very very simple, my limit order target pips for my bot is 1 pip and when I run the bot live I usually get around 1 pip successful trade results. However I also get more losing trades in terms of amounts than winners so the bots lose. But on backtest I never get the 1 pip target but usually get 4 pips of more and get a lot more winners than losers!

You can see this from the backtest results. 

acrigney said: 

Hi acrigney,

Best regards,

Panagiotis

@acrigney

PanagiotisCharalampous
23 Feb 2024, 06:47

RE: RE: RE: RE: Targets different on backtest and live

acrigney said: 

So sorry mate its very very simple, my limit order target pips for my bot is 1 pip and when I run the bot live I usually get around 1 pip successful trade results. However I also get more losing trades in terms of amounts than winners so the bots lose. But on backtest I never get the 1 pip target but usually get 4 pips of more and get a lot more winners than losers!

acrigney said: 

Hi acrigney,

Best regards,

Panagiotis

I still do not have clear instructions to reproduce this i.e. cBot code, backtesting settings, screenshots etc.

@PanagiotisCharalampous

RJM1
24 Feb 2024, 05:29

RE: RE: RE: RE: Targets different on backtest and live

acrigney said: 

acrigney said: 

Hi acrigney,

Best regards,

Panagiotis

Hello,

It sounds like you're using open price data and not tick data. This would explain why the results are so different. 

Change it under Backtesting settings.

@RJM1

acrigney
27 Feb 2024, 12:25 ( Updated at: 27 Feb 2024, 12:37 )

RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Targets different on backtest and live

No mate I have been using tick data for over a year now on all of my bots! And I mainly use the range bars with only the ontick event.

Here is a link to one of my backtest results

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1oD0fli5sZ3Fd8pHGYBynoCimvHsrfagZ?usp=drive_link

RJM1 said: 

acrigney said: 

acrigney said: 

Hi acrigney,

Best regards,

Panagiotis

Hello,

It sounds like you're using open price data and not tick data. This would explain why the results are so different. 

Change it under Backtesting settings.

@acrigney