Why does backtesting load other symbols than the one being backtested??

Created at 11 Jun 2023, 07:21
How’s your experience with the cTrader Platform?
Your feedback is crucial to cTrader's development. Please take a few seconds to share your opinion and help us improve your trading experience. Thanks!
FI

firemyst

Joined 26.03.2019

Why does backtesting load other symbols than the one being backtested??
11 Jun 2023, 07:21

I'm back testing DAX40, so why is it loading EURAUD?

It does similar things with the NAS100. When I back the symbol, I get 15 displays of "[AUDUSD] :: load starting..."

Why is it taking up time loading other symbols other than the symbol I'm wanting to run the backtest against?

Thank you.

@firemyst
Replies

firemyst
19 Jun 2023, 13:04

Anyone? @Spotware?

@firemyst

ncel01
19 Jun 2023, 13:11

Hi firemyst,

I suppose that your account currency is AUD and that's for currency conversion purposes.

@ncel01

firemyst
20 Jun 2023, 04:40

RE:

ncel01 said:

Hi firemyst,

I suppose that your account currency is AUD and that's for currency conversion purposes.

Thank you. that makes sense.

But be that as it may, I'm not sure why there has to be 15 separate threads downloading the SAME conversion rate data? Surely Spotware could implement it so that the data is downloaded ONCE and then shared between any number of child threads that may launch?

@firemyst

PanagiotisChar
20 Jun 2023, 08:53

Hi firemyst,

I guess when the data is downloaded once, it is then cached and reused by other instances too

Aieden Technologies

Need help? Join us on Telegram

@PanagiotisChar

firemyst
20 Jun 2023, 11:19

RE:

PanagiotisChar said:

Hi firemyst,

I guess when the data is downloaded once, it is then cached and reused by other instances too

Aieden Technologies

I would hope that's the way it is set to work. But if so, I think it would be better to only show one message saying data is being downloaded instead of 15 (like the screen capture) as that gives off the wrong impression.

Unless that's a "glitch" I came across :-)

@firemyst

PanagiotisChar
21 Jun 2023, 08:41

Hi firemyst,

Indeed it would be more helpful that way but it is an overly complicated feature with minimum value. If I was the product manager, I would definitely spent my developers time somewhere else.

Aieden Technologies

@PanagiotisChar