"Not Responding" - cTrader is unresponsive, or locks and hangs

Created at 29 Jul 2021, 08:53
How’s your experience with the cTrader Platform?
Your feedback is crucial to cTrader's development. Please take a few seconds to share your opinion and help us improve your trading experience. Thanks!
VI

victor.major

Joined 20.11.2019

"Not Responding" - cTrader is unresponsive, or locks and hangs
29 Jul 2021, 08:53

I only started noticing this issue when it affected my ability to run cTrader on my AWS EC2 instance 4 months ago. 

I observed this problem on the following machines:

AWS 1 CPU 2 Gb - hangs, unrecoverable, system remains responsive

Virtualbox VM 6 CPUs 5 Gb - hangs, unrecoverable, system remains responsive

Virtualbox VM 6 CPUs 8 Gb - hangs, sometimes recoverable, system remains responsive

Laptop 8 threads, 16 Gb - hangs, recoverable, very sluggish, system remains responsive

Workstation 24 threads, 64 Gb - sluggish, system remains responsive

In all of the above situations the problem appears to be CPU bound. cTrader appears to be singlethreaded and it reaches almost 100% utilisation of its thread. 

I have cleared the local cache on the 8 Gb VM and the 64 Gb workstation (AppData/Roaming/[broker name]) and that seems to have made some difference, however I do not know yet for how long. On the VM while it no longer enters "Not responding" state, cTrader is not adequately interactive as it takes several seconds to one minute for the view to change.

Please advise what may be the problem and what would be a better fix than deleting the app cache and hoping for the best.

V.

@victor.major
Replies

amusleh
29 Jul 2021, 09:51

Hi,

Which broker cTrader you are using and which version?

Did you submit the troubleshoot report?

cTrader is not single-threaded, and it uses multiple threads when it needs.

@amusleh

victor.major
29 Jul 2021, 10:06 ( Updated at: 29 Jul 2021, 10:07 )

RE:

amusleh said:

Hi,

Which broker cTrader you are using and which version?

Did you submit the troubleshoot report?

cTrader is not single-threaded, and it uses multiple threads when it needs.

1. IC Markets.

2. Yes.

3. Ok, it seems to hammer just one thread out of 6 or 24 available, so a process of some sort is holding up the rest.

@victor.major

amusleh
29 Jul 2021, 10:15

We will investigate this and let you know the result.

@amusleh

victor.major
29 Jul 2021, 10:17

RE:

amusleh said:

We will investigate this and let you know the result.

Thank you.

And, sorry I missed one answer: yes I submitted a troubleshooting report from within cTrader.

V.

@victor.major

amusleh
29 Jul 2021, 12:44

Hi,

Can you send us the troubleshoot report by adding this forum thread URL to your reference description?

You can explain what actions you did that caused cTrader to become unresponsive?

If possible can you send us the code of cBots you used before cTrader became unresponsive?

@amusleh

victor.major
29 Jul 2021, 13:33

RE:

amusleh said:

Hi,

Can you send us the troubleshoot report by adding this forum thread URL to your reference description?

You can explain what actions you did that caused cTrader to become unresponsive?

If possible can you send us the code of cBots you used before cTrader became unresponsive?

Done.

I can cause even the new version 4.1 to become unresponsive when I switch views from Trade to cBot instance view. In v4.0 cTrader would go unresponsive when I try to scroll through the cBot list on the left of the window. It appears that every time cTrader went unresponsive I was trying to interact with its display, clicking, dragging, selecting, etc.

@victor.major

amusleh
29 Jul 2021, 14:45

RE: RE:

victor.major said:

amusleh said:

Hi,

Done.

I can cause even the new version 4.1 to become unresponsive when I switch views from Trade to cBot instance view. In v4.0 cTrader would go unresponsive when I try to scroll through the cBot list on the left of the window. It appears that every time cTrader went unresponsive I was trying to interact with its display, clicking, dragging, selecting, etc.

Hi,

Our team checked your troubleshoot report and they found that the issue is your cBots, in order to reproduce the issue we need your cBot code and a video that shows how to reproduce the issue.

@amusleh

victor.major
30 Jul 2021, 12:24

RE: RE: RE:

Thank you for checking this report. The cBot is closed source so I will submit a bug request with them now.

V.

amusleh said:

victor.major said:

amusleh said:

Hi,

Done.

Hi,

Our team checked your troubleshoot report and they found that the issue is your cBots, in order to reproduce the issue we need your cBot code and a video that shows how to reproduce the issue.

@victor.major