Inconsistent results between optimization and backtesting

Created at 17 Mar 2021, 01:32
How’s your experience with the cTrader Platform?
Your feedback is crucial to cTrader's development. Please take a few seconds to share your opinion and help us improve your trading experience. Thanks!
CT

ctid444989

Joined 22.03.2020

Inconsistent results between optimization and backtesting
17 Mar 2021, 01:32

Hi,

When I run an optimization I get amazing results with zero losing trades perfect equity (straight line) then I hit "Apply", go to the Backtesting tab run the backtest and get a completely different (correct I assume) backtest results with the equity chart going down, many losing trades etc.

What is going on?

Mike

@ctid444989
Replies

PanagiotisCharalampous
17 Mar 2021, 08:24

Hi Mike,

Can you share your cBot code so that we can reproduce this behavior?

Best Regards,

Panagiotis 

Join us on Telegram

@PanagiotisCharalampous

dave.anderson.consulting
25 Aug 2023, 14:06 ( Updated at: 26 Aug 2023, 14:49 )

This is an old bug which was reported in 2019.

This issue has never been resolved since it was reported. We are now 4 years later and still no fix on cTrader version 4.8.23.
I needed to optimize a client's cBot and ran into this bug today.
To make sure it's not my fault I grabbed the originally reported cBot (see originally reported issue) and tested it and saw that there is still a difference between Optimization and Backtest results. Exactly as it was reported in 2019.

Reply to standard reply of support “Share the cBot with us so that we can reproduce”:

Originally reported issue : The same issue with cBot code in here: https://ctrader.com/forum/cbot-support/15410

@dave.anderson.consulting

PanagiotisChar
26 Aug 2023, 14:58 ( Updated at: 26 Aug 2023, 15:00 )

RE: Inconsistent results between optimization and backtesting

dave.anderson.consulting said: 

This is an old bug which was reported in 2019.

This issue has never been resolved since it was reported. We are now 4 years later and still no fix on cTrader version 4.8.23.
I needed to optimize a client's cBot and ran into this bug today.
To make sure it's not my fault I grabbed the originally reported cBot (see originally reported issue) and tested it and saw that there is still a difference between Optimization and Backtest results. Exactly as it was reported in 2019.

Reply to standard reply of support “Share the cBot with us so that we can reproduce”:

Originally reported issue : The same issue with cBot code in here: https://ctrader.com/forum/cbot-support/15410

Hi there,

The same symptom does not mean that it has the same cause. Better share cBot code and exact steps to reproduce.

Aieden Technologies

Need help? Join us on Telegram

@PanagiotisChar