Freezing In Fast Moving Markets

Created at 15 Dec 2020, 20:48
How’s your experience with the cTrader Platform?
Your feedback is crucial to cTrader's development. Please take a few seconds to share your opinion and help us improve your trading experience. Thanks!
SM

SmartArtsStudio

Joined 30.10.2020

Freezing In Fast Moving Markets
15 Dec 2020, 20:48

Hello

Can I manually allocate more virtual memory to cTrader?

I am having huge problem with cTrader not being able to process significant price events...  we are talking 3 minute (by the bar count down timer) unresponsive for a small event just now: 50pips in 15minutes. 8 minutes effectively non responsive during the last Non Farm Payroll news! And lagging in general just dragging drawing objects often result in huge offsets from the mouse pointer. Not the biggest issue, but a symptom of under performance.

My system is: 64Bit 16GB RAM, Intel i7 Quad Core CPU... should be more than sufficient.

The most horrific example so far the last Non Farm Payroll news (not the only case):
Other than being appalled, the only thing cTrader would let me do of any practical value was record 's bar count down timer display on the odd frame cTrader did update: 
8:53
7:53
7:17
6:45
6:43
6:01
5:25
4:55
4:52
4:14
3:40
3:07
2:34
2:22
2:04 - cTrader did a full data refresh
1:41
1:07

"Sysinternals Process Monitor" was displaying cTrader using all 4 CPU cores (great work!) at around 80% each, and still 2GB of system RAM available for use.

At the same time cTrader is frozen other applications on my computer are fully responsive. Excel, Word, Browser. Possibly had Outlook open also.

My chart configuration is 6 detached cTrader windows with 7 Tabs each. But only displaying one chart tab per window.
Then the main application window displaying 5 charts in multi-chart mode. One of them "ClickAlgo Currency Strength Overlay" Indicator.
This is the extent of the remainder of my indicators on each chart (Basic drawing objects and pip range and average calculations):
Basic Drawing Object indicators

I am assuming only the charts displayed are processing data feeds, being that changing tabs looks like it fully reloads the data due to the initial blank tab chart, is that correct?
Anything out of the view port is not being rendered, right?

I read your article on cTrader Memory Management which showed I think 12 charts displayed which I only have 11, so I am assuming I am not using it beyond its intended design?

If it needs 4GB to work properly I am happy for it to use as much as it needs. Can I manually modify something to allocate more memory to cTrader?
Do you have a checklist of performance best practices to make sure cTrader performs at its best?

In doing some homework I have learned about Ctrl+Alt+Shift+T also which I will also use next time it happens. But hopefully you have suggestions that can avoid this.

Thanks
Daniel

@SmartArtsStudio
Replies

PanagiotisCharalampous
16 Dec 2020, 08:22

Hi Daniel,

Memory allocation is done by the operating system, there is nothing you need to do. However it does not sound like a memory issue but more like a performance issue of the custom indicator. Please remove it and let us know if you still experience such a freezing.

Best Regards,

Panagiotis 

Join us on Telegram 

@PanagiotisCharalampous

SmartArtsStudio
16 Dec 2020, 08:44

RE:

PanagiotisCharalampous said:

Hi Daniel,

Memory allocation is done by the operating system, there is nothing you need to do. However it does not sound like a memory issue but more like a performance issue of the custom indicator. Please remove it and let us know if you still experience such a freezing.

Best Regards,

Panagiotis 

Join us on Telegram 

Thank You,
If the Custom Indicator is placed on a tab that is not displayed, does hiding that tab in effect turn that chart off - stops updating. In turn disabling the indicator from calculating?
Or are charts always doing something in the background?

Thanks
Daniel

@SmartArtsStudio

PanagiotisCharalampous
16 Dec 2020, 09:04

Hi Daniel,

The indicator is calculated even if the tab is not displayed.

Best Regards,

Panagiotis 

Join us on Telegram 

@PanagiotisCharalampous