Chart closes

Created at 21 Aug 2020, 15:52
How’s your experience with the cTrader Platform?
Your feedback is crucial to cTrader's development. Please take a few seconds to share your opinion and help us improve your trading experience. Thanks!
GU

guspiccinini

Joined 16.08.2020

Chart closes
21 Aug 2020, 15:52

Dear support, 

I recently started using cTrader and a few times one of my charts got closed. It is a bit frustrating, especially when a lot of analysis has been done on the chart. I also noticed that other user had the same issue in the past: https://ctrader.com/forum/ctrader-support/23905

I was wondering why my chart got closed, as I didn't click on the X on the chart tab. I realized that clicking with the mouse wheel in ANY place on the tab will result in closing the chart. Even if you click to change the instrument or the timeframe (not just in the X that closes the label). I don't know if it is a glitch or it was purposely designed this way. 

Whatever the case, for those who use the mouse wheel a lot (for zooming in/out or for the crosshairs), it's easy to click the wheel by mistake. So, whenever you want to change something on the chart tab (like the timeframe), if you accidentally click on the wheel, it will close the chart. Just an image to clarify: 

Would it be possible to fix this?

Thanks for your hard work and kind regards. 

@guspiccinini
Replies

PanagiotisCharalampous
21 Aug 2020, 16:19

Hi guspiccinini,

This is by design, it is a common way to close a tab. It works like this in all major browsers.

Best Regards,

Panagiotis 

Join us on Telegram

@PanagiotisCharalampous

guspiccinini
21 Aug 2020, 17:02

RE:

Hello Panagiotis, 

Thank you for your quick reply. I agree with you; it is a common way to close a browser tab.

Having said that, closing a browser tab usually doesn't lead to losing any unsaved information. In a trading platform, a chart can have quite an amount of analysis, in the form of drawing objects (support, resistance, pivots, targets, trendlines, etc). And it is very unlikely that traders need a way to quickly close a chart. In line with other professional trading platforms, in my humble opinion, at least 1 of the following options should exist:

1) disable wheel click to close chart

2) prompt before closing chart (as you have when closing cTrader)

3) possibility to save the chart 

All the 3 options address basically the same issue (accidentally closing a chart). I mentioned number 1 here (ant not as Suggestion to vote) as I thought of it as a glitch (being it in a trading platform instead of a browser).

All that said, I appreciate your assistance and hope these couple of posts will be helpful for new users that may experience the same. 

Kind regards.

@guspiccinini