100% CPU usage after a week of runtime

Created at 15 Jul 2020, 12:20
How’s your experience with the cTrader Platform?
Your feedback is crucial to cTrader's development. Please take a few seconds to share your opinion and help us improve your trading experience. Thanks!

Jiri

Joined 31.08.2015

100% CPU usage after a week of runtime
15 Jul 2020, 12:20

Hi,

Recently, I have developed a cBot that was designed for Renko charts and put it on VPS. The platform had around 20 instances of the cBot running, each with a different symbol. After several days, roughly a week, the platform reached 100% CPU usage. I have stopped all cBot instances and left the system untouched for the next 12 hours. Later, when I logged in to check the CPU usage, it was still at 100%, and the platform was barely usable.

Regarding the cBot logic, I cannot disclose much of the information as I do not hold copyright rights. But the strategy is simple from a technical perspective and doesn't look more than 3 bars back into history. It uses built-in indicators: Parabolic SAR, Exponential MA, and ADX.  There are no loops or collections used, that might cause the issue. I would also like to stress out that the cBot is operating on each new bar, not tick, and all instances were set to 10 pips Renko or higher. Additionally, all cBot instances were stopped and the platform untouched for the next 12 hours, yet the resources used didn't decrease at all. The only thing left were indicators mentioned attached to the chart of each cBot instance. 

VPS configuration:
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2680 v3 @ 2.50GHz
4.0 GB Memory

I submitted a report using the troubleshooting within the platform that is linked to this thread.

@Jiri
Replies

ctraderftmo+115
23 Jul 2020, 05:09 ( Updated at: 21 Dec 2023, 09:22 )

RE:

Jiri said:

Hi,

Recently, I have developed a cBot that was designed for Renko charts and put it on VPS. The platform had around 20 instances of the cBot running, each with a different symbol. After several days, roughly a week, the platform reached 100% CPU usage. I have stopped all cBot instances and left the system untouched for the next 12 hours. Later, when I logged in to check the CPU usage, it was still at 100%, and the platform was barely usable.

Regarding the cBot logic, I cannot disclose much of the information as I do not hold copyright rights. But the strategy is simple from a technical perspective and doesn't look more than 3 bars back into history. It uses built-in indicators: Parabolic SAR, Exponential MA, and ADX.  There are no loops or collections used, that might cause the issue. I would also like to stress out that the cBot is operating on each new bar, not tick, and all instances were set to 10 pips Renko or higher. Additionally, all cBot instances were stopped and the platform untouched for the next 12 hours, yet the resources used didn't decrease at all. The only thing left were indicators mentioned attached to the chart of each cBot instance. 

VPS configuration:
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2680 v3 @ 2.50GHz
4.0 GB Memory

I submitted a report using the troubleshooting within the platform that is linked to this thread.

I have the same problem, appears to be a limit of 10-12 charts also. Constantly increases over time, I have to restart every 24hrs.

@ctraderftmo+115

jaredthirsk
03 Aug 2020, 22:49

[edited: resolved one of my own performance issues that I realized I created due to experimentation with performance.  Still keeping an eye on things.]

@jaredthirsk