Changing timeframe while backtesting using visual backtesting

Created at 27 Apr 2020, 16:05
How’s your experience with the cTrader Platform?
Your feedback is crucial to cTrader's development. Please take a few seconds to share your opinion and help us improve your trading experience. Thanks!
CN

Cnicholasdownie

Joined 30.03.2020

Changing timeframe while backtesting using visual backtesting
27 Apr 2020, 16:05

When backtesting in Ctrader is there a way to change the timeframe when visually backtesting? If not are there any plans to have this implemented 

@Cnicholasdownie
Replies

PanagiotisCharalampous
27 Apr 2020, 16:46

Hi Cnicholasdownie,

No this is not possible and we do not have plans to add such an option. You cannot change the chart timeframe while the cBot is running.

Best Regards,

Panagiotis 

Join us on Telegram

@PanagiotisCharalampous

bcronje
16 Jun 2024, 21:36 ( Updated at: 17 Jun 2024, 05:36 )

RE: Changing timeframe while backtesting using visual backtesting

PanagiotisCharalampous said: 

Hi Cnicholasdownie,

No this is not possible and we do not have plans to add such an option. You cannot change the chart timeframe while the cBot is running.

Best Regards,

Panagiotis 

Join us on Telegram

Panagiotis, what about after the visual backtest has finished? Technically the bot is not running anymore, so why are we not able to change the timeframe then, but keep the backtest trade history?

@bcronje

PanagiotisCharalampous
17 Jun 2024, 05:41

RE: RE: Changing timeframe while backtesting using visual backtesting

bcronje said: 

Hi Cnicholasdownie,

Best Regards,

Panagiotis 

Join us on Telegram

Panagiotis, what about after the visual backtest has finished? Technically the bot is not running anymore, so why are we not able to change the timeframe then, but keep the backtest trade history?

After the backtest finishes it is possible to change the timeframe

@PanagiotisCharalampous

bcronje
17 Jun 2024, 09:30

RE: RE: RE: Changing timeframe while backtesting using visual backtesting

How do I do that? When my backtest finishes, I am unable to change the timeframe on the backtest tab, the options are greyed out. Changing the timeframe under the Algo left panel does not update the backtest window timeframe either.

@bcronje

PanagiotisCharalampous
17 Jun 2024, 12:08

RE: RE: RE: RE: Changing timeframe while backtesting using visual backtesting

bcronje said: 

How do I do that? When my backtest finishes, I am unable to change the timeframe on the backtest tab, the options are greyed out. Changing the timeframe under the Algo left panel does not update the backtest window timeframe either.

Hi there,

It looks like a bug. You should be able to change it from the instance.

Best regards,

Panagiotis

@PanagiotisCharalampous

bcronje
17 Jun 2024, 13:26

RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Changing timeframe while backtesting using visual backtesting

bcronje said: 

Hi there,

Best regards,

Panagiotis

Hi Panagiotis,

I can indeed change the timeframe from the instance as per you screenshot, but the problem is when you change it there the chart on the finished backtesting tab is not changed, it stays on the timeframe of when you ran the backtest.

Kind regards

Beyers

@bcronje

PanagiotisCharalampous
18 Jun 2024, 05:24

RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Changing timeframe while backtesting using visual backtesting

bcronje said: 

bcronje said: 

Hi there,

Best regards,

Panagiotis

Hi Panagiotis,

I can indeed change the timeframe from the instance as per you screenshot, but the problem is when you change it there the chart on the finished backtesting tab is not changed, it stays on the timeframe of when you ran the backtest.

Kind regards

Beyers

Hi Beyers,

The timeframe will change as soon as you start backtesting again.

Best regards,

Panagiotis

@PanagiotisCharalampous

bcronje
18 Jun 2024, 10:20

RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Changing timeframe while backtesting using visual backtesting

Hi Beyers,

Best regards,

Panagiotis

Hi Panagiotis,

I think there's some misunderstanding here. I do not want to rerun the backtest on a different timeframe. I want to for example backtest on H1, and when the backtest finishes change the timeframe on the backtest window to M30 or M15 to analyze in more detail what actually happened in the lower timeframes, while still keeping the trade history of the H1 backtest. I'm fairly new to cTrader and automated trading in general, but I would've thought this would be a common scenario for testing and finetuning?

Maybe I could to set the cBot timeframe as an input parameter (H1), and then run the backtest with M15 timeframe? Or would this not be possible?

Kind regards

Beyers

@bcronje

PanagiotisCharalampous
18 Jun 2024, 10:38

RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Changing timeframe while backtesting using visual backtesting

bcronje said: 

Hi Beyers,

Best regards,

Panagiotis

Hi Panagiotis,

I think there's some misunderstanding here. I do not want to rerun the backtest on a different timeframe. I want to for example backtest on H1, and when the backtest finishes change the timeframe on the backtest window to M30 or M15 to analyze in more detail what actually happened in the lower timeframes, while still keeping the trade history of the H1 backtest. I'm fairly new to cTrader and automated trading in general, but I would've thought this would be a common scenario for testing and finetuning?

Maybe I could to set the cBot timeframe as an input parameter (H1), and then run the backtest with M15 timeframe? Or would this not be possible?

Kind regards

Beyers

Hi Beyers,

Ok understood. Such an option is not available at the moment.

Best regards,

Panagiotis

@PanagiotisCharalampous