Error: Cannot Start Application

Created at 16 Sep 2019, 11:58
How’s your experience with the cTrader Platform?
Your feedback is crucial to cTrader's development. Please take a few seconds to share your opinion and help us improve your trading experience. Thanks!
VI

Vince

Joined 04.12.2017

Error: Cannot Start Application
16 Sep 2019, 11:58

Hello,

Today I tried opening Ctrader. It had an update, but when it was finished updating it opened and closed Ctrader without me being able to interact with it. After it kept doing this, I uninstalled Ctrader, restarted desktop and downloaded the Ctrader desktop file. It did not want to install. I got an error message saying "Cannot Start Application. Application cannot be started. Contact the application vendor."

I tried installing with antivirus turned off, but this did not make a difference. Last week it worked just fine. There has been no changes to my desktop since last use of Ctrader.

Any help would be appreciated!

PS. I also tried installing Ctrader directly from Spotware. This resulted in an install of the spotware Ctrader, but it opened and closed itself again without interaction with software possible.

Below is the log from the error message:

PLATFORM VERSION INFO
	Windows 			: 10.0.18362.0 (Win32NT)
	Common Language Runtime 	: 4.0.30319.42000
	System.Deployment.dll 		: 4.8.3752.0 built by: NET48REL1
	clr.dll 			: 4.8.4010.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_B
	dfdll.dll 			: 4.8.3752.0 built by: NET48REL1
	dfshim.dll 			: 10.0.18362.1 (WinBuild.160101.0800)

SOURCES
	Deployment url			: http://icmarkets.ctrader.com/xTrader.application
						Server		: nginx
	Deployment Provider url		: http://icmarkets.ctrader.com/xTrader.application
	Application url			: https://sdl.ctrader.com/icmarkets/cTrader%20AppFiles/3.5.65534.35657/xTrader.exe.manifest
						Server		: nginx/1.14.0

IDENTITIES
	Deployment Identity		: IC Markets cTrader, Version=3.5.65534.35657, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7ef853fc4bdbd138, processorArchitecture=msil
	Application Identity		: IC Markets cTrader, Version=3.5.65534.35657, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7ef853fc4bdbd138, processorArchitecture=msil, type=win32

APPLICATION SUMMARY
	* Installable application.
	* Trust url parameter is set.
ERROR SUMMARY
	Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
	* Activation of http://icmarkets.ctrader.com/xTrader.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
		+ Value does not fall within the expected range.

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY
	No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS
	There were no warnings during this operation.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS
	* [16-Sep-19 10:44:59 AM] : Activation of http://icmarkets.ctrader.com/xTrader.application has started.
	* [16-Sep-19 10:44:59 AM] : Processing of deployment manifest has successfully completed.
	* [16-Sep-19 10:44:59 AM] : Installation of the application has started.
	* [16-Sep-19 10:45:00 AM] : Processing of application manifest has successfully completed.
	* [16-Sep-19 10:45:00 AM] : Found compatible runtime version 4.0.30319.
	* [16-Sep-19 10:45:00 AM] : Request of trust and detection of platform is complete.

ERROR DETAILS
	Following errors were detected during this operation.
	* [16-Sep-19 10:45:01 AM] System.ArgumentException
		- Value does not fall within the expected range.
		- Source: System.Deployment
		- Stack trace:
			at System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.IStore.LockApplicationPath(UInt32 Flags, IDefinitionAppId ApId, IntPtr& Cookie)
			at System.Deployment.Application.ComponentStore.LockApplicationPath(DefinitionAppId definitionAppId)
			at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionStore.LockApplicationPath(DefinitionAppId definitionAppId)
			at System.Deployment.Application.FileDownloader.PatchFiles(SubscriptionState subState)
			at System.Deployment.Application.FileDownloader.Download(SubscriptionState subState, X509Certificate2 clientCertificate)
			at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadDependencies(SubscriptionState subState, AssemblyManifest deployManifest, AssemblyManifest appManifest, Uri sourceUriBase, String targetDirectory, String group, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options)
			at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.DownloadApplication(SubscriptionState subState, ActivationDescription actDesc, Int64 transactionId, TempDirectory& downloadTemp)
			at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.InstallApplication(SubscriptionState& subState, ActivationDescription actDesc)
			at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl, Uri& deploymentUri)
			at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivationWithRetry(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
			at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
			at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivationWithRetry(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
			at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS
	No transaction information is available.

@Vince
Replies

PanagiotisCharalampous
16 Sep 2019, 12:05

Hi Vince,

Can you try a clean installation of cTrader and let me know if it resolves the problem?

Best Regards,

Panagiotis

@PanagiotisCharalampous

Vince
16 Sep 2019, 12:39

Hi Panagiotis,

Thank you for the quick reply.

The clean installation worked. I am now able to get Ctrader installed.

However, now when the software opens, I get to see the interface and then closes itself before I can interact with the software.

Any thoughts?

Vince

@Vince

Vince
16 Sep 2019, 13:41

Were not there yet, but I managed to get Ctrader running.

First I installed Ctrader on a PC i have never installed Ctrader on before and it work perfectly. I could log in, all the chart templates were there. Then I revoked the active session for the desktop I am having problems with. My thinking was that this should prevent Ctrader from automatically logging in. And it did. I could get Ctrader running and it started with the log in screen. But when I then logged in, the software closed itself immediatly.

One step closer, but still not workable.

Vince

@Vince

PanagiotisCharalampous
16 Sep 2019, 14:13

Hi Vince,

Is it possible to arrange a TeamViewer session? In order to investigate this issue further we need to check your computer. If yes, please send us an email at community@spotware.com to arrange it.

Best Regards,

Panagiotis

@PanagiotisCharalampous

Vince
16 Sep 2019, 15:40

Hi Panagiotis,

Thank you for the offer. I have just reset the OS and from what I can see, now everything runs smooth. So there is no need for further investigation.

Thank you for the help!

Best regards,

Vince

@Vince