Discrepancy between counted ticks and tick volume

Created at 11 Sep 2019, 14:46
How’s your experience with the cTrader Platform?
Your feedback is crucial to cTrader's development. Please take a few seconds to share your opinion and help us improve your trading experience. Thanks!
CY

cysecsbin.01

Joined 10.11.2018 Blocked

Discrepancy between counted ticks and tick volume
11 Sep 2019, 14:46

i noticed by running this simple algo that the number of ticks processed during a simgle bar timespan in a backtest is not equal to the number of ticks shown in the bar's tick volume:

using System;
using System.Linq;
using cAlgo.API;
using cAlgo.API.Indicators;
using cAlgo.API.Internals;
using cAlgo.Indicators;

namespace cAlgo.Robots
{
    [Robot(TimeZone = TimeZones.UTC, AccessRights = AccessRights.None)]
    public class TickVerifier : Robot
    {
        private int ticks = 0;

protected override void OnTick()
        {
            ticks++;
        }

protected override void OnBar()
        {
            Print(MarketSeries.TickVolume.Last(1) + " vs " + ticks + " counted.");
            ticks = 0;
        }
    }
}

I would like to know if an explaination of this phenomena is possible, whether it is normal or caused but data inconsistency from the broker.

Thanks in advance

-C

Replies

eivaremir
11 Sep 2019, 17:57 ( Updated at: 21 Dec 2023, 09:21 )

I noticed this a day I backtested a bot which is tick sensitive. At every tick, desitions based on global P/L are made. For example: close trade if there's a 0.50 profit and open another again... or vice versa if its a loss then close and open another again. If there's a movement which changes my P/L to .40 then .55 then .45 there would exist a closed trade in profit and a trade opened. but if the data doesn't inlude the 2nd tick then the trade will still be open (.4->.45) the close trigger will never be executed. That's why ticks does affect the performance of the equity curve.

So i backtested it and i had an unusual result for just a period of time... This was somepoint between June 2015 and August 2015

So I did a similar procedure Cysecbin did... I exported the difference between the Ticks processed by the bot vs the MarketSeries.TickVolume to a .txt and i got interesting results...

Statistically the results are these, seems like all the time ticks processed are only the 80%-60% of the real ticks existed. The only moment the majority of real ticks were processed (90%-100%) happened during these 2 months at 2015, which reproduced almost 20k trades resulting in a huge profit for my algorithm, affecting the results dramatically... 

I would like to know how to respond to this situation...

@eivaremir

PanagiotisCharalampous
12 Sep 2019, 11:25

Hi all,

By design OnTick() will trigger only once if both bid and ask change. However TickVolume will add to the volume two ticks for both bid and ask price changes. A more accurate way to calculate and compare tick volume is the following

private int TickVolume;
private decimal LastBid;
private decimal LastAsk;

protected override void OnTick()
{
    var bid = (decimal)Symbol.Bid;
    var ask = (decimal)Symbol.Ask;

if (bid != LastBid)
        TickVolume++;
    if (ask != LastAsk)
        TickVolume++;

LastBid = bid;