daily candles are labelled with wrong date (previous day's date)

Created at 07 Jul 2019, 15:24
How’s your experience with the cTrader Platform?
Your feedback is crucial to cTrader's development. Please take a few seconds to share your opinion and help us improve your trading experience. Thanks!
HY

Hyperion

Joined 12.09.2013

daily candles are labelled with wrong date (previous day's date)
07 Jul 2019, 15:24

1. When I place cross-hairs over the bar on a daily time frame chart, the label on time axis as well as the date shown on the bottom status bar (next to OHLCV data), show the date from one day before - there is 1 day offset and it is quite misleading. Is it a bug or is it purposeful?

2. And btw - a question - I see that the daily candles show data for workweek days in sequence: Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Mon, ... and lower timeframes (like e.g. h1) show Sunday prices... so let's assume that there is a local high on Sunday (i.e. Sunday's daily high is higher than both Friday's daily high and Monday's daily high) - how will it be represented on the daily timeframe chart? Will the Sunday's high be included in Monday's bar? Or omitted/not shown on a daily chart?

@Hyperion
Replies

PanagiotisCharalampous
08 Jul 2019, 10:58

Hi t0ranaga,

Markets open on Sunday 21:00 UTC and daily change takes place every day at 21:00 UTC. So a daily chart starts from 21:00 UTC to 20:59 UTC next day.

Best Regards,

Panagiotis

@PanagiotisCharalampous

NE539
03 Mar 2020, 16:16

RE:

PanagiotisCharalampous said:

Hi t0ranaga,

Markets open on Sunday 21:00 UTC and daily change takes place every day at 21:00 UTC. So a daily chart starts from 21:00 UTC to 20:59 UTC next day.

Best Regards,

Panagiotis

I was about to ask a similar question regarding current date when I found this in the search. You say the reason is that there is a daily change on Sunday, but other brokers have a more intuitive daily close despite following the same hours

How does it make sense that the currently forming daily shows 02/03/2020, but if you switch to hourly, it says correctly 03/03/2020?

Doesn't the Sunday daily close candle saying 01/03/2020 give the impression that this candle represents trading done on Sunday, even though only 2 hours of that candle actually took place on Sunday (with server time)? How does that make sense?

If the market change is the reason, why do e.g. Oanda, Saxo etc. charts show 03/03/2020 on currently forming daily, and 02/03/2020 for the previous day (Monday) that seems far more intuitive?

@NE539

PanagiotisCharalampous
03 Mar 2020, 16:42

Hi NE539,

The displayed time is the opening time of each candle and it is adjusted based on the timezone selected by the users. Users care mostly about when things happen in their timezone. if for example you set timezone to -10 then the candle starts at 12:00. It would be nonsense for somebody in this timezone to see the candle formed in the following day. I am not sure if and how the platforms you mentioned handle localized timezones but many other platforms are not e.g. MT4, therefore they use a universal time allowing them to assume UTC+2 as a global time for everybody. If you set your timezone in cTrader to UTC+2, you should get whatever you get on other platforms.

Best Regards,

Panagiotis 

Join us on Telegram

@PanagiotisCharalampous

ctid4064603
05 May 2021, 19:27

RE:

Hi NE539,

The displayed time is the opening time of each candle and it is adjusted based on the timezone selected by the users. Users care mostly about when things happen in their timezone. if for example you set timezone to -10 then the candle starts at 12:00. It would be nonsense for somebody in this timezone to see the candle formed in the following day. I am not sure if and how the platforms you mentioned handle localized timezones but many other platforms are not e.g. MT4, therefore they use a universal time allowing them to assume UTC+2 as a global time for everybody. If you set your timezone in cTrader to UTC+2, you should get whatever you get on other platforms.

Best Regards,

Panagiotis 

Join us on Telegram

I have similar problem. Setting time zone on client side only change labels on candles. But still candle body builds from 21:00 UTC not from 00:00. Daily candle should build from day start not from session start.

@ctid4064603

PanagiotisCharalampous
06 May 2021, 10:21

Hi ctid4064603,

As explained above, Daily candles open on Sunday at 21:00 UTC. 

Best Regards,

Panagiotis 

Join us on Telegram

@PanagiotisCharalampous

jim.tollan
12 Sep 2023, 18:02 ( Updated at: 13 Sep 2023, 05:39 )

RE: daily candles are labelled with wrong date (previous day's date)

Hi ctid4064603,

As explained above, Daily candles open on Sunday at 21:00 UTC. 

Best Regards,

Panagiotis 

Join us on Telegram

I am also finding this problematic and can't see why all the other candles use the Server.TimeInUtc but the daily jumps onto this weird non standard 21:00 start. Unless I can find a workaround that consolidates my hourly candles down to a bespoke Daily range, I am simply not going to be able (programmatically) to compare current daily activity as defined by that timings on all other candles that are on a lower timeframe to the Daily.  

My use case for this is to allow me to perform a top down analysis of the Daily→H4→m15 to align ranges within ranges. This simply isn't possible out of the box

Has anyone used a workaround that doesn't involve frigging around with creating virtual dailies out of the hourlies)??

@jim.tollan