Stop loss did not execute

Created at 27 Oct 2017, 20:36
How’s your experience with the cTrader Platform?
Your feedback is crucial to cTrader's development. Please take a few seconds to share your opinion and help us improve your trading experience. Thanks!
DA

davymailu

Joined 03.08.2017

Stop loss did not execute
27 Oct 2017, 20:36

Could someone from Spotware please explain why a pending order with a stop loss will get filled once price reaches the specified levels, but if the stop loss is inside the spread it gets rejected leading to a total loss? This is completely flawed logic on Spotware's part. Even MT4 doesn't have this weird logic. 

@davymailu
Replies

MenMarMax
29 Oct 2017, 14:34

This happened to me also.  How much spread does a news event result to?  What is the recommended Stop Loss in pips to avoid this from happening?  I'm just a newbie so please bear with me.

@MenMarMax

davymailu
29 Oct 2017, 16:40

I requested the limit for "abnormal spreads" from my broker, if at all there is something like that. I am yet to see if they have any limit. From what I've seen before, spreads could go crazy since they come straight from their liquidity providers (only for true ECN platforms). It could be that there is no existing limit. It all depends on the liquidity available at certain moments. However, to get an idea as to how wide they could get try to see your broker's spreads during the weekends. Note that these might still be lower than those during news time sometimes. For example the USD/CAD spread right now is 6.7 pips for FXPro cTrader while during news time it could be anywhere between 8-15 pips, without counting the commission. It's really shocking since I thought ECN platforms would have lower spreads due to the commissions. If you are a newbie I'd recommend trying out MT4 first for news trading, even though the execution might be slower and the slippage might be great. At least you'll be safe from the fake stop losses that cTrader has to offer. 

@davymailu

PanagiotisCharalampous
01 Nov 2017, 10:15

Hi davymailu,

Thanks for raising this topic. The logic of the implementation is that if the SL is within the spread, then your position should be closed immediately after opening, resulting into a definite loss. Therefore it is rejected. What would be the expected logic from your side in these cases? Maybe our server team can consider changing the logic based on your suggestion.

Best Regards,

Panagiotis

@PanagiotisCharalampous

davymailu
01 Nov 2017, 17:33

RE: Stop Loss inside the Spread

Panagiotis Charalampous said:

Hi davymailu,

Thanks for raising this topic. The logic of the implementation is that if the SL is within the spread, then your position should be closed immediately after opening, resulting into a definite loss. Therefore it is rejected. What would be the expected logic from your side in these cases? Maybe our server team can consider changing the logic based on your suggestion.

Best Regards,

Panagiotis

Hallo Mr. Charalampous,

Thank you for your response.

What I encountered was very different from your explanation. The position continued into a loss until I realized what was happening. Luckily, I was right there and closed it out very fast since one can clearly see -79 pips on the platform! Had it been how you explained it (the position closing immediately after the stop loss is within the spread, then that would be great. That loss would be acceptable. Unfortunately, it isn't the case. I'm really hoping you do not think that positions close once the stop loss is inside the spread in your system, they don't. Only the stop loss is cancelled and the trader is left wondering what happened. Kindly correct this, it's just terrible the way it is. On the flip side, the execution of orders is fine, I'll give you that. 

Kind regards!

@davymailu

PanagiotisCharalampous
01 Nov 2017, 17:46

Hi davymailu,

Apologies if my explanation was misunderstood but I am aware how it works and it is working exactly as describe it. What I was trying to explain was what would happened if the SL was "set" within the spread. The reason we do not allow SL to be set within the spread is that this would cause immediate closing of the position resulting to an immediate loss. 

My question is how would you expect it to work in this case? We would appreciate your feedback so that we can discuss it internally and improve the way it works. For example, would you like the position to be closed immediately despite the loss? Would you accept a higher SL automatically adjusted outside the spread? Give us any options that could satisfy your needs so that we can discuss it with the product team.

Best Regards,

Panagiotis

@PanagiotisCharalampous

davymailu
01 Nov 2017, 18:05

RE:

Panagiotis Charalampous said:

Hi davymailu,

Apologies if my explanation was misunderstood but I am aware how it works and it is working exactly as describe it. What I was trying to explain was what would happened if the SL was "set" within the spread. The reason we do not allow SL to be set within the spread is that this would cause immediate closing of the position resulting to an immediate loss. 

My question is how would you expect it to work in this case? We would appreciate your feedback so that we can discuss it internally and improve the way it works. For example, would you like the position to be closed immediately despite the loss? Would you accept a higher SL automatically adjusted outside the spread? Give us any options that could satisfy your needs so that we can discuss it with the product team.

Best Regards,

Panagiotis

Dear Mr. Charalampous,

I now understand what you meant. Frankly, both options you have mentioned offer a better alternative to the current stop loss execution framework, with the best option being the scenario where the stop loss is automatically adjusted outside the spread. Yes, this would be a very good solution since it can just be taken as slippage, which is expected anyway. It is much better than a position going into a loss after cancellation of the stop loss. Closing the position immediately would be a second choice, but that's just me. There was another thread where this was being discussed, back in 2013 and I think it's high time that the stop loss execution setup is reviewed. Here's the link of the discussion /forum/calgo-support/1239?page=3 

Regards!

@davymailu

andi21
25 Aug 2021, 15:39

Still not solved yet?

Dear cTrader Team,

i just had the same problem in the current Android app.

Is that behaviour still not adjusted yet?

Best regards,

andi21

@andi21

PanagiotisCharalampous
25 Aug 2021, 15:50

Hi andi21,

We did not change this behavior, neither do we plan to change it in the immediate feature. Taking into consideration all the possible use cases, we consider this is the best way handle this at the moment.

Best Regards,

Panagiotis 

Join us on Telegram and Facebook

@PanagiotisCharalampous