Let's talk about the order execution speed ! !

Created at 10 Jan 2017, 09:23
How’s your experience with the cTrader Platform?
Your feedback is crucial to cTrader's development. Please take a few seconds to share your opinion and help us improve your trading experience. Thanks!

rickcui

Joined 07.01.2017

Let's talk about the order execution speed ! !
10 Jan 2017, 09:23

Hello all,

I found a very big issue of order ececution speed on the ctrader, I open ICMarkets demo ctrader account and using London VPS to connect, the latency is 2/3 ms, but the order execution speed is more than 200ms, see picture below:

latency

order exec speed

I could not believe this speed is under FIX API, so I opened another brokers demo ctrader account to test, there are Pepperstone, Fxpro, RoboForex, MaxFx, OctaFx, OMF, TradeView Markets, only Fxpro speed is 50-65ms, the others are all 200-300ms, so I want to know:

1: Why the execution speed is so low, even it's lower than MT4 demo account?

2: If I using the LD4/LD5 VPS, the exec speed whether improve?

3. If I open a real account, the exec speed whether improve?

Welcome to disscus this,thank you.

@rickcui
Replies

galafrin
10 Jan 2017, 15:06

On Live I get this : London-5 , 19/20ms,  164ms order filling 1700 km away. Wich is not that bad if you ask me.

@galafrin

rickcui
12 Jan 2017, 11:46

Thanks galafrin's reply, I already open a real account of ICMarkets and using Beeksfx LD4 VPS, the connect speed is 2/2(London-3), but the live account order execution speed still is 120-160 ms, even my laptop computer(location is Shanghai China, Proxy is Jakarta-1) execution speed is 164 ms, I am confused, so may I ask Spotware, why the execution speed is so slow? And how could I improve the speed? Thanks a lot! 

@rickcui

Spotware
12 Jan 2017, 17:03

Hello, 

Thanks for posting an interesting question that gets asked frequently. 

Just because you have a great ping to the cTrader server (1/2ms) that doesn't mean execution time will be the same. This is just your ping to the server. Once your order reaches your brokers cTrader server there are a few milliseconds for processing then the order will be sent to your broker's liquidity provider. If the counter party who has the best price is in New York then an execution time of 100 to 200 ms is more than reasonable. 

It depends on many factors. Mostly the location of the bank / liquidity provider the order is routed to. 

Also it is worth noting that the execution speed on demo account is emulated, since orders don't really get executed - Demo account only pretends to execute them. 

All the best,

cTrader Team

@Spotware

rickcui
13 Jan 2017, 08:49

RE:

Spotware said:

Hello, 

Just because you have a great ping to the cTrader server (1/2ms) that doesn't mean execution time will be the same. This is just your ping to the server. Once your order reaches your brokers cTrader server there are a few milliseconds for processing then the order will be sent to your broker's liquidity provider. If the counter party who has the best price is in New York then an execution time of 100 to 200 ms is more than reasonable. 

It depends on many factors. Mostly the location of the bank / liquidity provider the order is routed to. 

Also it is worth noting that the execution speed on demo account is emulated, since orders don't really get executed - Demo account only pretends to execute them. 

All the best,

cTrader Team

Thank you Spotware, I got this, is that mean: if my VPS in London, and the brokers LP connected in London, the execution speed could reduce sub milliseconds?

If VPS in London, but the LP in NY, so the execution speed is higher than London?

Thank you again!

@rickcui

rickcui
13 Jan 2017, 09:06

RE: RE:

rickcui said:

Spotware said:

Hello, 

All the best,

cTrader Team

Thank you Spotware, I got this, is that mean: if my VPS in London, and the brokers LP connected in London, the execution speed could reduce sub milliseconds?

If VPS in London, but the LP in NY, so the execution speed is higher than London?

Thank you again!

It should be "reduce to sub milliseconds", missing "to" word :-)

@rickcui

moneybiz
13 Jan 2017, 14:47

I raised that question before and coldn't get a satisfactory answer.
After some research I found out that there are brokers with "Last Look" and without "Last Look" operations.
"Last Look" simply enables market makers to delay or reject trades from customers after they’ve agreed to a quoted price. This is something that brokers may abuse for their advantage!
I think the significant delay could be from that.
Brokers are not transparent on that issue and nobody exactly knows what's going on inside.
There are brokers without last look but they don't support cTrader.

@moneybiz

kricka
13 Jan 2017, 16:21

Execution time

The execution time in the platform is very normal in a retail platform. MT4 has it and also most all of the other well-known platforms as well.

This is a so-called a window so the brokers have enough time to hedge the bets and execute the order. cTrader is no exception and we would love the current execution time of 150-250ms to come down to around 100ms. Something for the Spotware Team to work on, to make it happen.

That is why protecting for the individual traders is so important with proper risk & money management and cBots to give us an edge, and the correct information when needed.  RMMRobot.com is dedicated to this task and we have several free cBots for download that can be run on both demo and live accounts without any restrictions.

RMMRobot.com  

@kricka

george_1700@hotmail.co.uk
26 Sep 2017, 00:54

I find it worrying that nobody from Spotware has replied to the above comments yet....

For me personally, I won't be using cTrader until I get these answers.

@george_1700@hotmail.co.uk

PanagiotisCharalampous
26 Sep 2017, 16:42

Hi George,

Spotware has given an answer to the original post. Please let me know what points of the discussion are not covered and which questions remain unanswered so I can elaborate.

Best Regards

Panagiotis

@PanagiotisCharalampous

george_1700@hotmail.co.uk
26 Sep 2017, 16:53

RE:

Panagiotis Charalampous said:

Hi George,

Spotware has given an answer to the original post. Please let me know what points of the discussion are not covered and which questions remain unanswered so I can elaborate.

Best Regards

Panagiotis

The below comments have not been answered.

i question the point made by the Spotware rep, which is valid ONLY IF the said counterparty is not one of the major LPs.  what i mean is this:

all LPs in the following categories:  Tier 1 and Tier 2 banks, major quantitative funds and hedge funds, institutional ECNs, major PBs and PoPs all have a presence in both NY and London at the very least (most will also have a presence in Tokyo); further, all institutional aggregators and ECNs such as Integral, Currenex, EBS, FXAll, HotSpotFX, FastMatch, BARX FX, ParFX,  GAIN GTX, FXSpotStream, etc, will have a connectivity presence in all major Equinix data centers: NY, London, and Tokyo.

so i do not understand why a retail client's order should get matched to a counterparty in NY if the order is issued on the London server. that would be extremely poor routing when all the necessary liquidity is already there available at Equinix London.

and then you have the problem of last-look. but that only applies for orders larger than 100M notional on the majors.  there is huge and thus plenty of liquidity to execute against at volume levels from 10K to 100M on all majors. so last-look should not be a cause of execution delays for the average retail size order.

to conclude:  here's an interesting fact:  trading from the East coast of North America with Darwinex who only has server at Equinix London data center, the execution remains consistently stable at around 100ms when orders are filled on the LMAX MTF. LMAX enforces a no-last-look policy.  

so, Spotware rep, could you please comment on this?

@george_1700@hotmail.co.uk

PanagiotisCharalampous
26 Sep 2017, 17:08

Hi George,

These questions cannot be answered by Spotware. Brokers choose their own liquidity providers so maybe you should address these questions to them. You are comparing Darwinex, which is a broker, with Spotware, a technology provider. As said above, we do not control the entire order routing chain, therefore we cannot control all the parts of the process. As mentioned in one of the posts in this discussion, different brokers offer different execution speeds, therefore it does not seem to be a general platform problem.

Best Regards,

Panagiotis

@PanagiotisCharalampous

kricka
26 Oct 2017, 15:48

Execution time

Traders do pay a high concern of interest on the platform/broker execution time. On the average, we have seen an execution time over 200ms on most brokers in the past on the cTrader platform. The question is today, has it improved or declined over the last year? It has definitely improved and many brokers have an execution time today of only 80ms. This is a big step forward for the platform and a money saver for the trader at the end. If this continues we might even see a further decline of execution times in the future and maybe the lowest execution time delivered to a trader from a retail platform.

@kricka

leohermoso
20 Jan 2018, 23:31

This delays happens when canceling orders too?

@leohermoso

antonio.trader.oz
30 Mar 2018, 19:04 ( Updated at: 21 Dec 2023, 09:20 )

BAD BAD BAD STORY.

@antonio.trader.oz

ctid1234940
13 May 2019, 11:48

Why are the Spotware Server located at Equinix LD5 when most liquidity providers reside in the Equinix NY4 ?
Looking at e.g. Pepperstone or ICMarkets - all of their Mt4/Mt5 infrastructure and LPs are in NY.

From my understanding (and please correct me if I am wrong!):
- Unfortunately for e.g. ICMarkets customers, it doesn't matter how slick and fast the cTrader Platform is -> when it comes to the trade in most cases it has to go from London to NY (100+ ms)
- There is almost always going to be a delay in order execution as you have to cross the ocean.
- FXPro and some other brokers may have most of their LPs in London. Who knows? Information on it is scarce and not publicly available.
- So trade executions all depend on the LPs of the individual broker and where they inject the liquidity in which instrument
- Unfortunately it seems the only way to find out about trade execution is to trade a live account with different setups (mt4, cTrader) (vps in NY4 / LD5)

Nevertheless, in Equinix NY4 most liquidity is happening - so why does Spotware have their Server in London?

@ctid1234940

... Deleted by UFO ...