Smart Stop Out questions

Created at 14 Oct 2016, 13:40
How’s your experience with the cTrader Platform?
Your feedback is crucial to cTrader's development. Please take a few seconds to share your opinion and help us improve your trading experience. Thanks!
MA

maxim_7

Joined 14.07.2013

Smart Stop Out questions
14 Oct 2016, 13:40

hi Support,

Couple of question regarding "Smart Stop Out":

1) From help page it is not clear where can I find "Smart Stop Out" level of my broker. On provided screenshot where is "Smart Stop Out" field.

2) Help examples logic for 2 positions for the same entry price, but it is not clear what "Smart Stop Out" algo close first if I have 2 positions with the same volumes bu on different price levels

3) Also it is not clear what position will be affected if I have several positions unequal volume in opposite directions.

4) Also it is not clear what position will be affected if I have 2 positions with equal volume, in opposite directions

Thanx

@maxim_7
Replies

Spotware
17 Oct 2016, 10:02 ( Updated at: 21 Dec 2023, 09:20 )

Hello,

Thanks for the questions about Smart Stop Out. 

1) You can find the "Smart Stop Out" level in the same place as you found "Stop Out". It is identified in the balance bar. Smart Stop Out replaces Stop Out. 

2) If it is the case that you have positions of equal size but different entry prices then the position which is most unprofitable will be partially closed until the accounts margin level increases above Stop Out. 

3) The largest position will be affected. Unless there are positions of equal size, then the largest and most unprofitable position will be partially closed. 

4) The position which is most unprofitable will be partially closed. 

For the benefit of other people reading this thread; here is the page we are discussing = http://help.spotware.com/trading/smart-stop-out 

@Spotware

maxim_7
18 Oct 2016, 00:00

RE:

Spotware said:

Hello,

4) The position which is most unprofitable will be partially closed. 

For the benefit of other people reading this thread; here is the page we are discussing = http://help.spotware.com/trading/smart-stop-out 

Hi Support,

I am not comfortable with 4), I do not understand how closing of "most unprofitable" will help to maintain Margin Level above Stop Out.

If I have 2 positions Long and Short with equal volumes, and price goes down. (Let say Long stay unprofitable and Short became profitable) In this case, "most unprofitable" became Long position, isn't it?

According to your explanation server will partially close Long position, BUT this action will do nothing: “Equity” will not be changed. Margin Level = “Equity” /"Margin Used", "Margin Used" will not be affected since Server closes only side of two positions, thus  Margin Level remain below Stop Out.

I predict the next step of server: On next tick server will close, some more from Long position, w/o affecting Margin Used - and gradually will close Long position totally.

Therefore, my question is: Could you please explain background of "Smart Stop Out" algorithm. Obviously I am missing something here and cannot understand where "Smart" is?

Thanx

M.

@maxim_7