Analyzing a Strategy: Understanding a +4.86% Gain Despite Equity Changes

Created at 11 Aug 2023, 11:50
How’s your experience with the cTrader Platform?
Your feedback is crucial to cTrader's development. Please take a few seconds to share your opinion and help us improve your trading experience. Thanks!
QU

QuanTrade

Joined 08.06.2021

Analyzing a Strategy: Understanding a +4.86% Gain Despite Equity Changes
11 Aug 2023, 11:50

Hello, I would like to know why my strategy is showing a +4.86% gain. The equity was at 31.03% with a capital of €500, and after a loss of -€100.01, the equity should have decreased by 20%, which would put me at approximately 11.02%, if I'm not mistaken. Can you help me understand? Here's the link to the strategy: https://ct.topfx.com/copy/strategy/55606?u=QuanTrade. Thank you.

@QuanTrade
Replies

PanagiotisChar
11 Aug 2023, 13:14

Hi there, 

I don't see any 31% anywhere on the equity chart.

Aieden Technologies

Need help? Join us on Telegram

@PanagiotisChar

QuanTrade
11 Aug 2023, 14:10 ( Updated at: 21 Dec 2023, 09:23 )

RE: Analyzing a Strategy: Understanding a +4.86% Gain Despite Equity Changes

PanagiotisChar said: 

Hi there, 

Aieden Technologies

@QuanTrade

QuanTrade
11 Aug 2023, 14:10 ( Updated at: 21 Dec 2023, 09:23 )

PanagiotisChar said: 

Hi there, 

Aieden Technologies

@QuanTrade

PanagiotisChar
14 Aug 2023, 05:04

Hi there,

Note that the ROI is calculated based on equity. So based on the highest equity I can see on the chart the drop was probably higher. Therefore the ROI drop seems to make sense to me.

Aieden Technologies

@PanagiotisChar

QuanTrade
15 Aug 2023, 08:45

PanagiotisChar said: 

Hi there,

Note that the ROI is calculated based on equity. So based on the highest equity I can see on the chart the drop was probably higher. Therefore the ROI drop seems to make sense to me.

Aieden Technologies

I don't understand what is calculated if from +31% with a balance of €500, I lose €100, you can see for yourself that I had a loss of 20%.

@QuanTrade

PanagiotisChar
16 Aug 2023, 07:10

Hi there,

You did not lose €100. You lost at least €117, if not more.

Aieden Technologies

@PanagiotisChar

PanagiotisChar
17 Aug 2023, 04:46

Hi there,

You don't seem to understand how ROI is calculated. ROI is calculated based on equity and not on balance. Please take some time to understand the ROI equation below

https://help.ctrader.com/ctrader-copy/roi-calculation/

Aieden Technologies

@PanagiotisChar

QuanTrade
17 Aug 2023, 05:19

PanagiotisChar said: 

Hi there,

You don't seem to understand how ROI is calculated. ROI is calculated based on equity and not on balance. Please take some time to understand the ROI equation below

Aieden Technologies

I am well acquainted with ROI calculation, which is why I am communicating with you. It appears that you are not assisting me in resolving the issue!!! At the beginning, you wrote that you did not see a 31% on my equity, and I showed you screenshots where it was clearly 31%. Then, you mentioned that I had a loss exceeding €117, when in fact it was €101, and I presented you with the precise screenshot showing a loss of €101. Now, you are writing that I do not understand ROI and that it is calculated on equity? The calculation of ROI, as you wrote, is indeed based on equity and not on the balance. However, the positions work with a fully automatic fixed stop, so there was no fluctuating loss greater than what I showed you, which is €101

@QuanTrade

PanagiotisChar
17 Aug 2023, 11:10 ( Updated at: 21 Dec 2023, 09:23 )

RE: RE: Analyzing a Strategy: Understanding a +4.86% Gain Despite Equity Changes

QuanTrade said: 

PanagiotisChar said: 

Hi there,

Aieden Technologies

I am well acquainted with ROI calculation, which is why I am communicating with you. It appears that you are not assisting me in resolving the issue!!! At the beginning, you wrote that you did not see a 31% on my equity, and I showed you screenshots where it was clearly 31%. Then, you mentioned that I had a loss exceeding €117, when in fact it was €101, and I presented you with the precise screenshot showing a loss of €101. Now, you are writing that I do not understand ROI and that it is calculated on equity? The calculation of ROI, as you wrote, is indeed based on equity and not on the balance. However, the positions work with a fully automatic fixed stop, so there was no fluctuating loss greater than what I showed you, which is €101

I have no obligation to assist you, I am a trader like you. And personally I do not see a problem. There is an obvious drawdown from 517 to 400 which is more than 20% claimed in your original post. 

It is around 24% which is what is displayed now in your strategy page. 

@PanagiotisChar

QuanTrade
17 Aug 2023, 12:35 ( Updated at: 21 Dec 2023, 09:23 )

RE: RE: RE: Analyzing a Strategy: Understanding a +4.86% Gain Despite Equity Changes

PanagiotisChar said: 

QuanTrade said: 

PanagiotisChar said: 

Hi there,

Aieden Technologies

Conosco bene il calcolo del ROI, motivo per cui sto comunicando con te. Sembra che tu non mi stia aiutando a risolvere il problema!!! All'inizio hai scritto che non vedevi un 31% sulla mia equity, e ti ho mostrato degli screenshot dove era chiaramente del 31%. Poi, hai detto che ho avuto una perdita superiore a 117€, quando in realtà era di 101€, e ti ho presentato lo screenshot preciso che mostra una perdita di 101€. Ora, stai scrivendo che non capisco il ROI e che è calcolato sull'equità? Il calcolo del ROI, come hai scritto, si basa infatti sull'equità e non sul saldo. Tuttavia, le posizioni funzionano con uno stop fisso completamente automatico, quindi non c'è stata alcuna perdita fluttuante maggiore di quella che ti ho mostrato, che è di € 101

I have no obligation to assist you, I am a trader like you. And personally I do not see a problem. There is an obvious drawdown from 517 to 400 which is more than 20% claimed in your original post. 

It is around 24% which is what is displayed now in your strategy page. 

Hello, I thank you for the assistance. I can see the screenshot you posted clearly, but the balance at the time of the dropdown was €500.78, and then there was a loss of €100.01, which brings the balance to €400.77.

Every time I had a balance above €500, I withdrew funds in order to consistently work with the same capital and strategy. I don't understand if I am making a mistake or if I am not grasping something correctly!

I repeat, the strategy operates with a stop loss set at the time of the trade, so there is no possibility of a floating drawdown.

Thank you again for your possible response ;-).

@QuanTrade

PanagiotisChar
18 Aug 2023, 06:12

Hi there,

As explained in the ROI calculation documentation, ROI is calculated based on equity, not balance.

Aieden Technologies

@PanagiotisChar