How to create + plot range bars from incoming OnTick() environment for me to trade from

Created at 04 Jul 2016, 21:08
How’s your experience with the cTrader Platform?
Your feedback is crucial to cTrader's development. Please take a few seconds to share your opinion and help us improve your trading experience. Thanks!
CT

ctid234647

Joined 04.07.2016

How to create + plot range bars from incoming OnTick() environment for me to trade from
04 Jul 2016, 21:08

Hello, first post and please excuse bit of mt4 digression but not know how else to state my issue.

In mt4 I generate .hst files holding xPoint sized bar records. As each tick comes in each record built (via Bid used to update OHLC datums) until bar range at or (potentially beyond specified range). Once met, new .hst record is started,...,...

Now, this .hst file can be loaded/displayed as main chart using this data. So, by running the .hst generator/indicator on a normal mt online chart, each real time tick can be PostMessag'ed() to the offline chart and we see bars build tick-by-tick just like any normal online chart..

Ok, above is what I want to do with cAlgo as various sized range bar trading is where I'm at.

I believe I just need to know that yes... you can do what you have done in mt4 - these are the areas you must learn about.

I understand the need [and profit] to play about and learn 'the hard way' but after 18yrs with metatrader, I'm very uneasy over all this stuff which is used in cAlgo (after all .ru's take on a real C syntax is beyond minimal and mt5's c++ gunk is similarly weak). I used to be s/w engineer but that's decades ago. I want to learn but feel is big ask without getting my butt kicked in the correct direction :)

Well... hope to get response. I am very excited about 'finally' makeing the decision to jump off mt4 ship and get into a real platform (well... this is what hits me to date!!)

Regards

Tim

@ctid234647
Replies

Spotware
13 Jul 2016, 16:45

Dear Trader, 

Please be advised that Range Bars are not available in cAlgo at the moment, although it is in our future plans to start supporting them. Unfortunately, there are no exact estimates on this feature just yet. Meanwhile, you could check  the  Custom indicators t find what you might need.  

@Spotware

iulianalinchiru
28 Mar 2017, 00:11

Dear Spotware,

Any news on the asked above development? Any news on the Range Bars? It is almost a year since the above discussion.

Thank you!

@iulianalinchiru