Does the broker/cTDN delay orders? submillisecond does not matter

Created at 28 Jun 2016, 09:45
How’s your experience with the cTrader Platform?
Your feedback is crucial to cTrader's development. Please take a few seconds to share your opinion and help us improve your trading experience. Thanks!
SM

smashthosewolverines

Joined 28.06.2016

Does the broker/cTDN delay orders? submillisecond does not matter
28 Jun 2016, 09:45

Hello,

I see a delay of around 300ms (the RT to the VPS being only 2ms to the server) while the order is filled. Is it because of cTDN delaying the orders or LP or the broker? If the execution is close to 300 ms, what good does it do to have submillisecond proxy?

Thanks

@smashthosewolverines
Replies

moneybiz
28 Jun 2016, 20:44

RE:

smashthosewolverines said:

Hello,

I see a delay of around 300ms (the RT to the VPS being only 2ms to the server) while the order is filled. Is it because of cTDN delaying the orders or LP or the broker? If the execution is close to 300 ms, what good does it do to have submillisecond proxy?

Thanks

My latency is 15/25ms and execution time is around 250ms in demo accounts.
If for 2ms latency you're getting 300ms execution times I start to suspect.

Maybe the brokers have middle servers which receive information and forward it to the real hidden server, thus we see low latency.
Otherwise why is there a huge delay on execution times compared to latency.
Maybe somebody knows something we don't know and they can explain...

@moneybiz

smashthosewolverines
29 Jun 2016, 04:23

RE: RE:

moneybiz said:

Hello,

Thanks

My latency is 15/25ms and execution time is around 250ms in demo accounts.
If for 2ms latency you're getting 300ms execution times I start to suspect.

Maybe the brokers have middle servers which receive information and forward it to the real hidden server, thus we see low latency.
Otherwise why is there a huge delay on execution times compared to latency.
Maybe somebody knows something we don't know and they can explain...

Thank you. I also find striking differences between IC Markets - 300-500 ms, Spotware Demo - 200-250 ms, FxPro - 50 ms. I was wondering what changed from now and say a year back when the execution times were close to 10-15 ms. Delaying is a tactic used by brokers and that makes it very unpleasant for scalping.

@smashthosewolverines

moneybiz
29 Jun 2016, 12:09

RE: RE: RE:

Thank you. I also find striking differences between IC Markets - 300-500 ms, Spotware Demo - 200-250 ms, FxPro - 50 ms. I was wondering what changed from now and say a year back when the execution times were close to 10-15 ms. Delaying is a tactic used by brokers and that makes it very unpleasant for scalping.

Are these numbers of demo accounts or real?
I was thinking to rent a dedicated server or VPS with speeding up the execution times in mind but after the numbers you published I see that it won't make any difference.

The latency numbers we see on cTrader/cAlgo don't mean anything at these conditions. It's just makeup of the broker. Look how fast we are but in reality we are not because our real server is at the other end of world and we forward all request coming from you there...
The increased execution time also means more slippage. So if you see 0.3 pip spread in reality due to the slow execution times this value receives let's say 0.8 pip slippage over it and becomes 1.1 pip.
The 0.0 pip spread and fast execution times seem to be just an advertisement, reality is much different.

@moneybiz

smashthosewolverines
29 Jun 2016, 13:07

RE: RE: RE: RE:

moneybiz said:

Are these numbers of demo accounts or real?
I was thinking to rent a dedicated server or VPS with speeding up the execution times in mind but after the numbers you published I see that it won't make any difference.

The latency numbers we see on cTrader/cAlgo don't mean anything at these conditions. It's just makeup of the broker. Look how fast we are but in reality we are not because our real server is at the other end of world and we forward all request coming from you there...
The increased execution time also means more slippage. So if you see 0.3 pip spread in reality due to the slow execution times this value receives let's say 0.8 pip slippage over it and becomes 1.1 pip.
The 0.0 pip spread and fast execution times seem to be just an advertisement, reality is much different.

For real accounts. I just received an email from IC Markets that the fill times would be close to 200ms (to open a position) and another 200ms to close. Almost every broker who uses cServers have execution speed of a couple of hundred ms (which as you can may cause the price to slip). If you are using the function ExecuteMarketOrder, you may have slippage control there where orders will be simply rejected if a particular price is not met.

On hunting for best brokers in terms of deep liquidity, execution speed, I find LMAX's, and FXCM's to be very small - LMAX (3 ms execution) and FXCM (30 ms execution). But none offer cTrader platform - LMAX offers FIX (and the not so good MT4 bridge) and FXCM - MT4. LMAX though is an exchange of its own doesn't have dark liquidity - meaning privileged traders get to access LMAX's order book/D.O.M. 

@smashthosewolverines

moneybiz
29 Jun 2016, 15:04

RE: RE: RE: RE: RE:

For real accounts. I just received an email from IC Markets that the fill times would be close to 200ms (to open a position) and another 200ms to close. Almost every broker who uses cServers have execution speed of a couple of hundred ms (which as you can may cause the price to slip). If you are using the function ExecuteMarketOrder, you may have slippage control there where orders will be simply rejected if a particular price is not met.

On hunting for best brokers in terms of deep liquidity, execution speed, I find LMAX's, and FXCM's to be very small - LMAX (3 ms execution) and FXCM (30 ms execution). But none offer cTrader platform - LMAX offers FIX (and the not so good MT4 bridge) and FXCM - MT4. LMAX though is an exchange of its own doesn't have dark liquidity - meaning privileged traders get to access LMAX's order book/D.O.M. 

Yes I'm aware of the marketRange parameter for slippage limitation. I used it.
LMAX have .NET API if you don't want to use FIX. Just ask them with email and they'll send it to you.
cTrader is quite flexible for bot business but not very available like MT4. Maybe because it doesn't allow brokers to manipulate it like MT4. There are lots of rumors going around MT4.
I simply try to stay away from brokers who only provide MT4. There are many talks about MT4 on forums...

@moneybiz