CPU advices

Created at 17 Dec 2015, 14:58
How’s your experience with the cTrader Platform?
Your feedback is crucial to cTrader's development. Please take a few seconds to share your opinion and help us improve your trading experience. Thanks!
GS

GS66

Joined 12.04.2015

CPU advices
17 Dec 2015, 14:58

I run c algo an Macbook pro with Parallels 11. Mac has an i7 but only two cores are allocated to the virtual machine, so I'm thinking about buying a windows desktop, 8GB Ram and with quadcore Intel Celeron J1900, Does this sounds good for Calgo or is has too lower power and money are wasted?

Thanks

@GS66
Replies

Spotware
17 Dec 2015, 22:35

Dear Trader,

Please have a look at the minimum/recommended requirements of cAlgo in the "Install cAlgo" section of our support site.

@Spotware

kricka
17 Dec 2015, 23:26

GS66,

Yes there is a minimum hardware configuration to be able run cAlgo and cTrader. However when buying a computer it's nice to know that one can run several instances of the platform and have many charts and cBots running at the same time without running into problems.

The cpu you were thinking of using is on the lower side regarding speed and is compared to an I3 Intel. An I5 Intel is recommended if you want to be future proofed that the hardware is fast enough for trading. 8GB Ram is a good choice from your side. A SSD drive is also what you should look into because everything will run so much smoothly for you and also in case a required reboot of the computer is necessary, the bootup speed will then be so much faster than a traditional magnetic disk hard drive.

I wrote some suggestion down on this thread  /forum/ctrader-support/7356?page=1#4

@kricka

GS66
18 Dec 2015, 17:45

Thank You  all for the suggestions.

@GS66

TraderM
19 Dec 2015, 15:43

A different approach

Hi,

my approach is a little different.

I have two dedicated PCs, one runs a live account, the other a demo account. Both PCs have the same low end spec: 4GB RAM, Win 10, Duo Core 3,0 GHz. This is perfectly adequate to run 15+ instances (trading at slightly different times throughout the day). These PCs do nothing but run a single platform each and trade in the hourly chart. They are only touched for maintenance or updating robots.

But I also have much quicker PCs for development, optimization and backtesting, as this is where power (for me) counts. Paticularly as optimization takes time.

I place a lot of emphasis on stability, reliability and only touching my trading systems when absolutely necessary. This is easier when the PCs are not high end. Buying expensive PCs to run my robots would be a waste.

TraderM

@TraderM

GS66
21 Dec 2015, 17:04

Yes I agree that computational power is required more on backtesting and optimization. I've had crashes on VPS, but I think a low spec desktop is more then enough as running environment.

Thanks for your help!

@GS66