backtesting reliability

Created at 23 Nov 2015, 21:16
How’s your experience with the cTrader Platform?
Your feedback is crucial to cTrader's development. Please take a few seconds to share your opinion and help us improve your trading experience. Thanks!
MI

mioulianou

Joined 14.11.2015

backtesting reliability
23 Nov 2015, 21:16

Hi, when i backtest my hft strategy, sometimes i got super profit or super loss results.

I am interested to know if backtesting data and backtesting simulator is reliable.

@mioulianou
Replies

Spotware
24 Nov 2015, 00:09

Dear Trader,

The data in backtesting mode are broker specific historical values of the Symbols.

For your information m1 trendbars do not contain ask prices. In order to emulate ask prices cAlgo requires you to specify the spread.

The tick data contains ask prices, therefore, spread is already included in the data.

@Spotware

mioulianou
24 Nov 2015, 01:41

RE:

Spotware said:

Dear Trader,

The data in backtesting mode are broker specific historical values of the Symbols.

For your information m1 trendbars do not contain ask prices. In order to emulate ask prices cAlgo requires you to specify the spread.

The tick data contains ask prices, therefore, spread is already included in the data.

thanks for the response,

My algorithm is based on tick data. Is that data reliable?

Can i see the graph of ak prices in backtesting?

@mioulianou

Spotware
24 Nov 2015, 01:59

Dear Trader,

The data in backtesting mode are broker specific historical values of the Symbols. Tick data is accurate. 

Currently, we don't provide provide users the ability to see bars based on the ask price. We will consider providing it in the future. 

Additionally, you can post your ideas/suggestions to http://vote.spotware.com/

@Spotware

newbee
26 Nov 2015, 04:48

Back testing

Hello, I've struck a situation in calgo while back testing and am hoping someone can assist or point me in the right direction.

My cbot includes a parameter for trading hours. (ie Start Hour & Stop Hour - -  eg Trade between 8pm & 10pm etc)

When the back testing is complete, in the results it seems that there are trades with an entry time outside the selected time parameter, in this case between Start hour 19 & stop hour 21.(or 7pm to 9pm)

One would expect to only see trades with an entry time between the filtered start & stop times. Is this correct or am I missing something?

Any assistance would be appreciated

Thank you

@newbee

TraderM
26 Nov 2015, 17:33

Set the platform UTC settings

newbee said:

Hello, I've struck a situation in calgo while back testing and am hoping someone can assist or point me in the right direction.

My cbot includes a parameter for trading hours. (ie Start Hour & Stop Hour - -  eg Trade between 8pm & 10pm etc)

When the back testing is complete, in the results it seems that there are trades with an entry time outside the selected time parameter, in this case between Start hour 19 & stop hour 21.(or 7pm to 9pm)

One would expect to only see trades with an entry time between the filtered start & stop times. Is this correct or am I missing something?

Any assistance would be appreciated

Thank you

Hi,

this sounds like the following problem:

/forum/calgo-support/6978

Essentially, when backtesting over a long time period, there may have been a clock change. This is not reflected in the charts.

Unfortunately you have to backtest in stages, for example for me living in Europe:

Summertime, 29.3 - 24.10, set the platform to UTC+2

Wintertime, 25.10 - 28.3, set the platfrom to UTC+1

If you do this, each trade should be executed at the "right" time and shown on the chart at the time expected.

Note: You will have to choose the right UTC settings for your time zone and clock changes.

Hope this helps,

TraderM

@TraderM

newbee
26 Nov 2015, 23:22

Back testing

T​hank you TraderM.

I'll look at it & see how it goes.

Regards

@newbee