Understanding connection problems

Created at 12 Nov 2015, 12:56
How’s your experience with the cTrader Platform?
Your feedback is crucial to cTrader's development. Please take a few seconds to share your opinion and help us improve your trading experience. Thanks!
TR

TraderM

Joined 30.12.2012

Understanding connection problems
12 Nov 2015, 12:56

Hi,

I am trying to understand an Internet connection problem and how best to fix it.

Background:

I have two PCs running, both with same hardware and software, one has a demo account, one a live account. I recently transfered two robot instances from the demo account to the live account. The live account has experienced connection problems and does not recover. The demo account has occasionally experienced connection problems, but has always managed to recover.

The problems:

1. The connection problem itself: "Slow connection" followed by "Login failed (Invalid account number or password)". From this point on the Live platform no longer works.

2. Recovery: The platform does not manage to regain the connection. (The demo account seems much more robust - it keeps trying to login and eventually manges it. You can see this in the Journal. The Live platfrom seems to give up trying.)

Suggested steps to solve the connection problem:

I was advised by the support (chat over the platform) to delete the AppData / 2.0 folder and reinstall the platform. Obviously I do not want to have to do this regularly and in any case I want to understand/fix the problem. So here my questions:

Q1: How can I verify who is responsible for the slow connection (my end or the broker)?

Q2: What would deleting the AppData / 2.0 folder actually do? Can you do this independently from a new install? Is this really the best/only solution?

Q3: Why does the Live account have problems recovering? Is this behaviour set differently in demo accounts and live accounts? Or maybe the broker determines this behaviour?

Q4: The second error message states "Login failed (Invalid account number or password)". But when I restart the platfrom it works without me having to enter these details. So the platfrom obviously does have the correct credentials stored. Is the error message wrong?

Sorry about so many questions! I would really like to ensure that the algos run reliably. Everything seemed to work well with the demo PC, but with the Live account things seem less reliable. For any tips why this may be the case, thanks!

TraderM

@TraderM
Replies

Spotware
12 Nov 2015, 15:13

Dear Trader,

We recommend you to perform the following steps to make a clean installation of cTrader and cAlgo.

• Close any running instance of cTrader or cAlgo.

• Hold down the Windows key and press R, this will open the Run dialog box. Enter appwiz.cpl to open the Programs and Features component of Windows.

• Uninstall  cAlgo (also cTrader if installed), the close Programs and Features.

• Hold down the Windows key and press R to re-open the Run dialog box, and enter %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Apps and press OK.

• Delete the 2.0 folder, and close Windows Explorer.

• Hold down the Windows key and press R to re-open the Run dialog box, and enter %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming and press OK.

• Delete the following folders; cTrader, %BROKERNAME% cAlgo, %BROKERNAME% cTrader, %BROKERNAME%-cTraderCommon, then close Windows Explorer.

• On the Start Menu click on Documents, and RENAME the cAlgo and cTrader folders (Be aware these folders contain your strategies, templates etc).

• Restart the computer.

• Download and install cAlgo/cTrader

Q1: How can I verify who is responsible for the slow connection (my end or the broker)?

We recommend you to check your internet connection with your ISP.

Q2: What would deleting the AppData / 2.0 folder actually do? Can you do this independently from a new install? Is this really the best/only solution?

This folder contains the ClickOnce File cache. You could read more about this in the following article from Microsoft: ClickOnce Application Fails to Update.

Q3: Why does the Live account have problems recovering? Is this behaviour set differently in demo accounts and live accounts? Or maybe the broker determines this behaviour?

When you notice this, could you please press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+T? It will submit troubleshooting information to our support team. When you submit the troubleshooting information, could you then send us an email at troubleshooting@spotware.com with the following information? Exact time, date, Timezone, broker's name and account number.

Q4: The second error message states "Login failed (Invalid account number or password)". But when I restart the platfrom it works without me having to enter these details. So the platfrom obviously does have the correct credentials stored. Is the error message wrong?

Could you please provide us with the exact steps to reproduce your issue?

@Spotware

TraderM
16 Nov 2015, 12:11

Hi,

I will monitor the problem and if/when it occurs again (naturally) I will gather the information as described above.

If the problem does not occur again (naturally) in the next few days I will try to reproduce it artificially (by breaking the internet connection), and then at least see what happens in terms of recovery.

Thank you very much for the information and support!

TraderM

@TraderM

TraderM
21 Nov 2015, 13:43

Short update

Hi,

the problem did not occur again naturally during the week.

At the end of the week I provoked a connection loss. The platform recovered fully when the connection was made available again.

So, I cannot reproduce the problem currently. Should it occur again I will post any troubleshooting infos.

Thanks again for the info above and the support!

TraderM

@TraderM

kricka
22 Nov 2015, 03:42

Asian countries

Good it worked out for you. I have not had this problem you are explaining. Even though I have been traveling to others, not so reliable countries when it comes to the Internet connections. It might have been a problem momentarily with you provider where you reside. On the whole the Spotware and their platform with cTrader and cAlgo is very dependable. Furthermore Spotware has widen their coverage in Asia to give us traders a much better coverage in case we trade in India, China or other asian countries.  

@kricka