Backtesting Range Bars - Not Getting Correct Bar Volume

Created at 05 Sep 2024, 12:54
How’s your experience with the cTrader Platform?
Your feedback is crucial to cTrader's development. Please take a few seconds to share your opinion and help us improve your trading experience. Thanks!
SC

scotpip

Joined 24.07.2018

Backtesting Range Bars - Not Getting Correct Bar Volume
05 Sep 2024, 12:54

Hi

New to CTrader Algo and running my first backtest on ticks from the server.

If I select minute bars, tick bars or Heikin Ashi, Bars.Last(0).TickVolume returns the volume as expected.

If I select Range or Renko, TickVolume always returns the value 1.

I'm seeing this for the OnBar() event and for the OnBarClosed() event.

Very disappointing. I thought that we finally had workable range bar backtesting, but unless I'm missing something, this looks like a show stopper.

Please advise.

@scotpip
Replies

scotpip
05 Sep 2024, 14:16 ( Updated at: 05 Sep 2024, 22:44 )

Struck me that I should also check volume in live demo mode.

Same problem - Range Bar volume is always set at 1 in both OnBar() and OnBarClosed().

I really do hope I'm missing something, or CTrader won't be viable for me.

EDIT:

I've realised that I could calculate the volume myself in the OnTick() event - so not a show stopper. But not ideal either - I'd still appreciate a solution.

@scotpip

scotpip
09 Sep 2024, 17:51 ( Updated at: 10 Sep 2024, 05:12 )

The workaround!

No response :-(

I've noticed from the Suggestions forum that this has been an issue for years now, so it's not me being dim as I first thought.

Is there really no move to get this fixed? It seems like a pretty ugly anti-feature. 

In an algo, there is the workaround I mentioned where we can calculate volume ourselves using the OnTick() event. But we can't see volume on the charts when trading manually or checking our algo trades. 

I was about to write an indicator, but a kind soul in the community got there first. For anyone who stumbles on this thread, here's the fix:

https://ctrader.com/algos/indicators/show/3045/

@scotpip

PanagiotisCharalampous
10 Sep 2024, 05:17

Hi there,

We do not plan to support this feature at the moment.

Best regards,

Panagiotis

@PanagiotisCharalampous