How to easily identify the respective account for a running cBot ?

Created at 02 Jul 2024, 21:53
How’s your experience with the cTrader Platform?
Your feedback is crucial to cTrader's development. Please take a few seconds to share your opinion and help us improve your trading experience. Thanks!
NC

ncel01

Joined 19.03.2020

How to easily identify the respective account for a running cBot ?
02 Jul 2024, 21:53

Hello,

I've noticed that the account shown for every cBot instance always matches the current (active) account, which is selected on the top-right corner (cTrader desktop).

What I don't find very logical:
This is the case even when a cBot is running (as shown below), suggesting that the respective cBot instance is always running on the active account, which is (obviously) not always the case.
In addition to this, I don't see any explicit reference to the respective account where a cBot is running.
Issue: this can easily be an error-causing factor, specially when managing cBots across multiple accounts.

My question:
How to easily identify the respective account where cBot is running, since (apparently) traders cannot (and should not) rely on the information the way it is shown below?

Thanks.

@ncel01
Replies

PanagiotisCharalampous
03 Jul 2024, 07:30

Hi there,

This is the case even when a cBot is running (as shown below), suggesting that the respective cBot instance is always running on the active account, which is (obviously) not always the case.

I do not understand what is the problem. What other case could there be for local execution?

In addition to this, I don't see any explicit reference to the respective account where a cBot is running.

What do you mean by explicit reference?

@PanagiotisCharalampous

ncel01
03 Jul 2024, 13:03

RE: How to easily identify the respective account for a running cBot ?

PanagiotisCharalampous said: 

Hi there,

I do not understand what is the problem. What other case could there be for local execution?

Hi Panagiotis,

Isn't the issue obvious? I've addressed this in the original thread.
The account mentioned in the screenshot is not the account in which the cBot is running.
Question #1: What's the purpose/logic behind mentioning an account other than the cBot's respective account?

Question #2: How to easily check the account associated to a running cBot? I don't see this information explicitly (at a glance) available.

@ncel01

PanagiotisCharalampous
04 Jul 2024, 04:36

RE: RE: How to easily identify the respective account for a running cBot ?

ncel01 said: 

Hi there,

Hi Panagiotis,

The account mentioned in the screenshot is not the account in which the cBot is running.
Question #1: What's the purpose/logic behind mentioning an account other than the cBot's respective account?

Question #2: How to easily check the account associated to a running cBot? I don't see this information explicitly (at a glance) available.

Hi ncel01,

I still don't understand

No, that is why I am asking. 

Please provide screenshots demonstrating this

Cloud execution. If the cBot is executed on the cloud it could run on a different account.

I don't understand what do you want to check. It should be what you see on your screen.

Best regards,

Panagiotis

@PanagiotisCharalampous

ncel01
04 Jul 2024, 17:41 ( Updated at: 04 Jul 2024, 19:55 )

RE: RE: RE: How to easily identify the respective account for a running cBot ?

ncel01 said: 

Hi there,

Hi Panagiotis,

Hi ncel01,

I still don't understand

Cloud execution. If the cBot is executed on the cloud it could run on a different account.

I don't understand what do you want to check. It should be what you see on your screen.

Best regards,

Panagiotis

Hi Panagiotis,

Correction: Every time a new account is selected, the cBot execution is stopped on the previous account and applied to the new account instantly, which is also not great, I'd say.

However, I noticed that every time a demo account is involved, the cBot execution is stopped and not applied to the new account.
This does not make much sense to me. Shouldn't this work the other way around, for obvious reasons?
To make it worse, users are not warned when switching accounts while a cBot is running, which would prevent a cBot from stopping on the current account, as well as any accidental cBot execution on the new account.

Why is this not possible locally as well? It would be a great feature.
At the moment, every cBot running on a different account requires a dedicated cTrader instance which is very resource-intensive.

@ncel01

PanagiotisCharalampous
05 Jul 2024, 05:04

RE: RE: RE: RE: How to easily identify the respective account for a running cBot ?

ncel01 said: 

ncel01 said: 

Hi there,

Hi Panagiotis,

Hi ncel01,

I still don't understand

Best regards,

Panagiotis

Hi Panagiotis,

Correction: Every time a new account is selected, the cBot execution is stopped on the previous account and applied to the new account instantly, which is also not great, I'd say.

However, I noticed that every time a demo account is involved, the cBot execution is stopped and not applied to the new account.
This does not make much sense to me. Shouldn't this work the other way around, for obvious reasons?
To make it worse, users are not warned when switching accounts while a cBot is running, which would prevent a cBot from stopping on the current account, as well as any accidental cBot execution on the new account.

At the moment, every cBot running on a different account requires a dedicated cTrader instance which is very resource-intensive.

Hi there,

Ok it's more clear now. I still don't see the problem. Local execution works the same way since cAlgo 1.0. Running a cBot on an account that is not the one to which cTrader is connected is not as simple as it sounds and not as obvious as it might be for your. Not all users would like such a breaking change to the way cTrader has always worked. That's why you have an option of running your cBot in an external process.

Best regards,

Panagiotis

@PanagiotisCharalampous

ncel01
05 Jul 2024, 06:28

RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: How to easily identify the respective account for a running cBot ?

ncel01 said: 

ncel01 said: 

Hi there,

Hi Panagiotis,

Hi ncel01,

I still don't understand

Best regards,

Panagiotis

Hi Panagiotis,

Hi there,

Ok it's more clear now. I still don't see the problem. Local execution works the same way since cAlgo 1.0. Running a cBot on an account that is not the one to which cTrader is connected is not as simple as it sounds and not as obvious as it might be for your. Not all users would like such a breaking change to the way cTrader has always worked. That's why you have an option of running your cBot in an external process.

Best regards,

Panagiotis

Panagiotis,

That's clear. Thanks!

Any comments on the following?

I noticed that every time a demo account is involved, the cBot execution is stopped and not applied to the new account.

@ncel01