MarketData.GetBars - Loading the same timeframe twice

Created at 29 Sep 2023, 01:00
How’s your experience with the cTrader Platform?
Your feedback is crucial to cTrader's development. Please take a few seconds to share your opinion and help us improve your trading experience. Thanks!
JO

jonlangdon

Joined 06.04.2023

MarketData.GetBars - Loading the same timeframe twice
29 Sep 2023, 01:00

Hi,

Quick question on MarketData.GetBars(…). If I were to run the following code:

TimeFrame tf = TimeFrame.Parse("Hour");

DataSeries bars1 = MarketData.GetBars(tf).ClosePrices;
DataSeries bars2 = MarketData.GetBars(tf).ClosePrices;

MovingAverage ma1 = Indicators.MovingAverage(bars1, 50, MovingAverageType.Simple);
MovingAverage ma2 = Indicators.MovingAverage(bars2, 100, MovingAverageType.Simple);

Would this essentially load the same data into memory twice? Or would references be managed behind the scenes in some way?

Its not that I want to do this, but if it is the case, I wanted to avoid loading multiple times when setting up indicators individually from configuration.

Many thanks

@jonlangdon
Replies

PanagiotisChar
29 Sep 2023, 05:20

Hi there,

I guess it will be loaded only once but why do you need to do that? Why don't you just use bars1?

@PanagiotisChar

jonlangdon
29 Sep 2023, 11:39 ( Updated at: 29 Sep 2023, 11:43 )

RE: MarketData.GetBars - Loading the same timeframe twice

PanagiotisChar said: 

Hi there,

I guess it will be loaded only once but why do you need to do that? Why don't you just use bars1?

Hi, thanks for that.

It's not really that I wanted to do it on purpose, more just for understanding and to avoid unnecessarily loading multiple instances of the same thing. 

In a case where I'm setting the time frame of an indicator from configuration like below, as an example:

[Parameter(DefaultValue = "m5", Group = "TimeFrames")]
public TimeFrame MaTimeframe { get; set; }

[Parameter(DefaultValue = "m10", Group = "TimeFrames")]
public TimeFrame BbTimeframe { get; set; }

// ...

DataSeries maBars = MarketData.GetBars(MaTimeframe).ClosePrices;
MovingAverage ma = Indicators.MovingAverage(maBars, 50, MovingAverageType.Simple);

DataSeries bbBars = MarketData.GetBars(BbTimeframe).ClosePrices;
BollingerBands bb = Indicators.BollingerBands(bbBars, 20, 2, MovingAverageType.Simple);

This would allow for time frames to be changed independently for each indicator, but could lead to a case where both time frames where the same.

@jonlangdon