How to generate the .pwd file for the CLI commands ?

Created at 12 Aug 2023, 15:57
How’s your experience with the cTrader Platform?
Your feedback is crucial to cTrader's development. Please take a few seconds to share your opinion and help us improve your trading experience. Thanks!
WE

webkinson

Joined 09.08.2022

12 Aug 2023, 15:57

Hello Friends, 

Is it just a text file ? I still cant login

@webkinson
Replies

Spotware
14 Aug 2023, 08:27

Dear trader,

To create a .pwd file containing your password, you can simply add a new text file with a .pwd extension. Afterward, open it and type/paste your password making sure to avoid unnecessary whitespaces.

Best regards,

cTrader Team

@Spotware

driftingprogrammer
29 Apr 2024, 13:56 ( Updated at: 29 Apr 2024, 14:02 )

Does the CLI work? Is anyone using it? 

I started my cBot as an external process and it works fine. 

But when I copy the exact same command and try to invoke it from the command prompt by first going to the folder where we have the ctrader-cli.exe I get an error saying the password file needs to be specified. 

When I specify the password file which is a text file with my password it continues to say password file could not be found. I tried all formats of specifying the path but no luck, I always sayd password file not found.

Can someone give me an example of a command with the password file specified that works.

For me even a simple command like 

ctrader-cli.exe symbols --ctid=email@yahoo.com --pwd-file=C:/Users/Administrator/Documents/password.pwd

does not work. I am using ICMarkets broker.

Thanks in advance.

@driftingprogrammer

PanagiotisCharalampous
30 Apr 2024, 05:26

RE: How to generate the .pwd file for the CLI commands ?

driftingprogrammer said: 

But when I copy the exact same command and try to invoke it from the command prompt by first going to the folder where we have the ctrader-cli.exe I get an error saying the password file needs to be specified. 

When I specify the password file which is a text file with my password it continues to say password file could not be found. I tried all formats of specifying the path but no luck, I always sayd password file not found.

Can someone give me an example of a command with the password file specified that works.

ctrader-cli.exe symbols --ctid=email@yahoo.com --pwd-file=C:/Users/Administrator/Documents/password.pwd

Thanks in advance.

Hi there,

Can you share screenshots showing where the password file is and the exact message you receive?

@PanagiotisCharalampous

driftingprogrammer
02 May 2024, 07:42 ( Updated at: 02 May 2024, 10:25 )

RE: RE: How to generate the .pwd file for the CLI commands ?

PanagiotisCharalampous said: 

driftingprogrammer said: 

Thanks in advance.

Hi there,

Can you share screenshots showing where the password file is and the exact message you receive?

Thanks for your response.

I am running a simple command - 

ctrader-cli.exe accounts --ctid=myID@yahoo.com --pwd-file=C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\password.pwd

This command works fine on my local machine which is Windows 10 professional.

But on my VPS which is running Windows server 2019 I am getting the error - 

Error: Password file not found

I have tried both forward slash and backslash to specify the path but I always get this error on Windows Server 2019 machine.

In this screenshot you can see that the file is available at the specified location and it has the same content as the file on Windows 10 machine where the command works fine.

Thanks.

@driftingprogrammer