Saving Parameter-files for BOT and INDICATOR

Created at 21 May 2023, 12:56
How’s your experience with the cTrader Platform?
Your feedback is crucial to cTrader's development. Please take a few seconds to share your opinion and help us improve your trading experience. Thanks!
BJ

BJORNBERNAU

Joined 21.07.2020

Saving Parameter-files for BOT and INDICATOR
21 May 2023, 12:56

The parameters used in robot, can be duly saved in a separate file, NOT the same for Indicator.

It would be extremely helpful, when as we, use in the order of hundred parameters, that they could be easily opened via a saved file, both for the robot and indicator. 

We use exceptionally complex algorithms and we usually need to run them in indicator first, not to overload the bot. 

But then, the amount of work needed to transfer the same parameters from the indicator to the bot, becomes quite unreasonable. 

Is there any remedy or is it in pipe for an introduction for the same parameter files in the indicator as in the bot? 

Sincerely, 

Björn Bernau 

Sweden

@BJORNBERNAU
Replies

firemyst
22 May 2023, 03:29

You could try adjusting your code so that your bots and indicators read/write your parameters to a json file.

Since you test your stuff in indicators first, the only actual input parameters that would have to be kept up to date are those for the indicator.

When your indicator runs, just write your parameters out to the json file.

Then when you start your bots, read in the json file to set all the parameters you need to. What I mean by that is, for example, you won't have to save the ticker-symbol nor the timeframe in the json parameter file, because you'll obviously set your bot instance to use the particular symbol/forex pair and timeframe you want to run against.

However, other parameters, like an EMA period or BB Std Dev, you'll probably want those saved to the json file.

@firemyst

BJORNBERNAU
22 May 2023, 09:02

RE:

firemyst said:

You could try adjusting your code so that your bots and indicators read/write your parameters to a json file.

Since you test your stuff in indicators first, the only actual input parameters that would have to be kept up to date are those for the indicator.

When your indicator runs, just write your parameters out to the json file.

Then when you start your bots, read in the json file to set all the parameters you need to. What I mean by that is, for example, you won't have to save the ticker-symbol nor the timeframe in the json parameter file, because you'll obviously set your bot instance to use the particular symbol/forex pair and timeframe you want to run against.

However, other parameters, like an EMA period or BB Std Dev, you'll probably want those saved to the json file.

Thank you very much! 

This may well work, but why all this bother about a theme that really must be quite central to all of us who develp indicators to be tested and run with the bot?

We get it, for sure(!), that receive hundreds of suggestions for your platform, which only long term could be implemented !

But is this really problematic to include the same snippet in your platform-code for Indicator as for cBot, so we may save and load - in seconds? 

Cordially, 

Björn Bernau 

@BJORNBERNAU

firemyst
22 May 2023, 10:14

RE: RE:

BJORNBERNAU said:

Thank you very much! 

This may well work,

It works for me as I use json files all the time to save parameters, status of bots, etc etc. :-)

As for adding it into cTrader by default (instead of having to program it through the API), I would post it to the "Suggestions" forum:

@firemyst

PanagiotisChar
22 May 2023, 10:37

Hi to both,

Björn is right, this would be very handy. I have some insider info that this is coming soon :)

Aieden Technologies

Need help? Join us on Telegram

Need premium support? Trade with us

@PanagiotisChar