Maximum Daily Loss

Created at 01 Apr 2023, 02:52
How’s your experience with the cTrader Platform?
Your feedback is crucial to cTrader's development. Please take a few seconds to share your opinion and help us improve your trading experience. Thanks!
MA

marcoraja

Joined 07.02.2023

Maximum Daily Loss
01 Apr 2023, 02:52

Hi Guys,

I need to calculate in my cBot Daily & Monthly Loss, basically it's a STOP LOSS but on daily base, that means I need to reset at midnight CE(S)T and restarting calculation of Net Profit every new day. Any idea about best way to do it ?

1) How to calculate JUST today profit ? I could use Account Info and History with historical trades collection, any more suggestion or is there any more useful field I can't find on API docs ?

2) Trigger on every Position Opened ?

However I would get noticed before hitting the limit so I can stop trading or handle it in the best way.

Thanks for your kind support

-----

Here some additional info as described by Broker:

Maximum Daily Loss

This rule can also be called “trader’s daily stop-loss”, it is set as 5% from the initial account balance. The rule says that at any moment of the day [CE(S)T = Central European (Summer) Time], the result of all closed positions in sum with the currently open floating P/Ls (profits/losses) must not hit the determined daily loss limit. The counting formula:

Current daily loss = results of closed positions of this day + result of open positions.

For example, in the case of the initial account balance of $200,000, the Max Daily Loss limit is $10,000. If you happen to lose $8,000 in your closed trades, your account must not decline more than $2,000 this day. It must also not go -$2,000 in your open floating losses. The limit is inclusive of commissions and swaps.

Vice versa, if you profit $5,000 in one day, then you can afford to lose $15,000, but not more than that. Once again, be reminded that your Maximum Daily Loss counts your open trades as well. For example, if in one day, you have closed trades with a loss of $6,000 and then you open a new trade that goes into a floating loss of some -$5,700 but ends up positive in the end, unfortunately, it is already too late. In one moment, your daily loss was -$11,700 on the equity, which is more than the permitted loss of $10,000.

Be careful as the Maximum Daily Loss resets at midnight CE(S)T! Let’s say that one day you had a profit of $4,000. On the same day, you have an open position with a currently floating loss of $13,000. On this day, the maximum daily loss is not violated. The current daily loss is $9,000. ( $4,000 closed profit – $13,000 open position). However, if you hold this position with an open loss of $13,000 after midnight, the daily loss limit will be violated. This is because your previous day profit doesn’t count to a new day and the open loss of $13,000 exceeds the max daily permitted loss of $10,000.

@marcoraja