The Source code visible or not?

Created at 17 Mar 2023, 18:50
How’s your experience with the cTrader Platform?
Your feedback is crucial to cTrader's development. Please take a few seconds to share your opinion and help us improve your trading experience. Thanks!

The Source code visible or not?
17 Mar 2023, 18:50

Hi,

When I make my own cBot and then I do NOT build it with the source code and then I select show in folder, then I copy my cBot to my desktop and rename it and then I install it - The source code is not available. This is good because I want to give this cBot without the source code to some people for them to be able to test it (I added in the code the expiration date. So the cBot will stop working on that date)

My question:

If I give this cBot to some people, can they somehow get the source code even if it says the source code is not available in cTrader? Because I do not want that. I have put too much work into this cBot. 

I asked an AI online and it said this. Is this correct? :

When you build and save a cBot in cAlgo, the source code is compiled into a binary file with the extension ".dll". This binary file contains the compiled code that can be executed by the cAlgo platform or cTrader platform without the need for the original source code.

The cTrader platform uses the compiled binary file to execute the cBot, and it does not need to access or see the original source code. The cTrader platform only needs to be able to call the functions and methods in the binary file to execute the cBot's logic.

Therefore, even though the source code is not available on other computers where you may have installed the cBot, the compiled binary file can still be executed by the cTrader platform to open trades.*)

@algorithmic.trading.eu_gmail.com
Replies

Symposium
18 Mar 2023, 05:39 ( Updated at: 21 Dec 2023, 09:23 )

RE: Build with Source Code

Hi Pro Trader, You have to Build your Algo's with the Build with Source Code tab... This will make the code editable on other computers...

The code is available in text form (open in Notepad) in the *.cs file inside the Algo's project folder...

Hope this is of help...

@Symposium

algorithmic.trading.eu_gmail.com
18 Mar 2023, 07:23 ( Updated at: 21 Dec 2023, 09:23 )

RE: RE: Build with Source Code

Symposium said:

Hi Pro Trader, You have to Build your Algo's with the Build with Source Code tab... This will make the code editable on other computers...

The code is available in text form (open in Notepad) in the *.cs file inside the Algo's project folder...

Hope this is of help...

Hi Symposium . I only want my original cBot to have the source code and only I will use it on my computer.

My question was for the duplicate of my cBot without the source code - If I give it to my friend for him to use it, can he somehow use some software or something to hack it and see the source code?  

algorithmic.trading.eu_gmail.com
19 Mar 2023, 07:03 ( Updated at: 19 Mar 2023, 07:04 )

RE:

Aint nobody wanna answer my question? I was ignored many times by now asking simple questions in cTrader forum.

If I give my cBot without the source code to some people for them to test my cBot, can they somehow hack it and get the source code?

PanagiotisChar
20 Mar 2023, 09:51

Hi there

If I give this cBot to some people, can they somehow get the source code even if it says the source code is not available in cTrader? Because I do not want that. I have put too much work into this cBot. 

Theoretically yes, nothing is unbreakable. But it is too difficult for the average user, therefore you are relatively safe.

Aieden Technologies

Need help? Join us on Telegram

Need premium support? Trade with us

@PanagiotisChar

shane.scott.pub
20 Mar 2023, 18:16

To answer this for future users.

This is a concern of mine since as a long time c# coder it is TRIVIAL to back engineer C# Dll's back into source code. Have you guys taken any steps against this and if not can we use standard Dll obfuscation technology like dotfuscator etc? It's just very weird the whole upload process for an algorithm that you want to earn money from. Like it demands a source file? I mean you seriously need to rethink the ways algos are uploaded and kept private for people wanting to sell them. The whole process is confusing as hell and in general, there is a MASSIVE quality difference between the website in general and the great product itself. Spam is everywhere moderation is non existent and processes are ill-thought-out. This detracts from people wanting to make money on the platform and just sends them to mt4 marketplace which is at least functional and literally every second "algo" is just spam because it can be, owing to poorly thought-out uploading constraints.  PLEASE fix these issues this post was from years ago now and zero has been done. I am sick of reporting spam accounts because nothing is done. Fire the incompetent people working on and testing the site and lets get the online presence as good as the product is.

CTrader FanBoy

@shane.scott.pub

pick
21 Mar 2023, 12:32

Yes, it is quite straightforward for a competent programmer to decompile an algo file. However, I would say that the vast majority of users and "developers" are incapable of doing so. The question is: who are you targeting? If your friend managed to get the source code of your bot, would they even understand what they're looking at? If a developer was capable of retrieving your code, don't you think they'd also be capable of writing similar code in the first place? 

As the user above mentioned, you can obfuscate your code, which will add an extra layer of inconvenience to someone who wants to read your logic - but it also doesn't make it impossible.

You could run all of your important logic on a server and return the results to clients if you really want to keep your code as far away from the user as possible. 

Realistically, nothing that you send to other people is as safe as something you keep to yourself under lock and key - if someone really wants to get into a system, they will.

@pick