Stand Alone cBots without cTrader environment just with cAlgo.API.dll

Created at 15 Mar 2023, 13:54
How’s your experience with the cTrader Platform?
Your feedback is crucial to cTrader's development. Please take a few seconds to share your opinion and help us improve your trading experience. Thanks!

heinrich.munz

Joined 21.11.2020

15 Mar 2023, 13:54

(How) Is it possible to use the cAlgo.API.dll completely stand alone for automated cBots without the whole cTrader graphical environment?

For very sophisticated backtesting and optimizations strategies like walk forward optimization etc. this would be very helpful. 

It would take just a piece of code (i.e. a command line app) which initializes all necessary parts of the cAlgo.API.dll, gets access to the backtest data cache (ticks, bars, etc.) and then calling the cBots Methods...

@heinrich.munz
Replies

ncel01
15 Mar 2023, 22:10 ( Updated at: 15 Mar 2023, 22:30 )

This would be great if allowing cBots to run.

Maybe it would be a solution to cTrader's massive memory leaks and traders could, finally, perform automated trading for weeks, or even months, without need to restart the app.

So far, memory leaks have shown that, the platform, as it is now, is not a feasible solution for automated trading.

@ncel01

PanagiotisChar
16 Mar 2023, 08:38

RE:

heinrich.munz said:

(How) Is it possible to use the cAlgo.API.dll completely stand alone for automated cBots without the whole cTrader graphical environment?

For very sophisticated backtesting and optimizations strategies like walk forward optimization etc. this would be very helpful. 

It would take just a piece of code (i.e. a command line app) which initializes all necessary parts of the cAlgo.API.dll, gets access to the backtest data cache (ticks, bars, etc.) and then calling the cBots Methods...

Hi there,

It is not possible at the moment. But there is a project called cTrader Console that should reach the market soon and will do exactly that.

Aieden Technologies

Need help? Join us on Telegram

Need premium support? Trade with us

@PanagiotisChar

heinrich.munz
16 Mar 2023, 09:25

PanagiotisChar said:

heinrich.munz said:

Hi there,

It is not possible at the moment. But there is a project called cTrader Console that should reach the market soon and will do exactly that.

Aieden Technologies

Need help? Join us on Telegram

Need premium support? Trade with us

This are very good news.

However, wouldn't it be a good idea to involve interested parts of the community in a preview of the planned project? Work flow, API, etc.

Or would it even be possible to collaborate in this project? I am an experienced C# programmer with > 10 years experience in programming all kind of trading platforms, last years focusing on cTrader.

In lack of a stand alone cTrader version, many years ago, I started to develop a cTrader emulator which lets me run cTrader bots in a standalone environment, including back testing and optimization. However, this is a lot of work for one person, and I am wondering, if anybody would be interested to collaborate with me to bring this stuff further. Maybe in an open-source Git Hub project?

@heinrich.munz