Supertrend + EMA 200 + Stoch Robot ERRORS ???

Created at 04 Jan 2023, 14:52
How’s your experience with the cTrader Platform?
Your feedback is crucial to cTrader's development. Please take a few seconds to share your opinion and help us improve your trading experience. Thanks!
RO

robban

Joined 04.01.2023

Supertrend + EMA 200 + Stoch Robot ERRORS ???
04 Jan 2023, 14:52

In the below code I get 7 errors, please see the provided .JPG.

I currently use the free version of Visual Code 2022. cAutomate is added.

Also, when renaming the file to .algo - cTrader gives me  "Invalid file format" and does not install the bot to cTrader?

Anyone sees what is wrong?

Thanks

using System;
  using System.Linq;
  using cAlgo.API;
  using cAlgo.API.Indicators;
  using cAlgo.API.Internals;
  using cAlgo.Indicators;

namespace cAlgo.Robots
{
    [Robot(TimeZone = TimeZones.UTC, AccessRights = AccessRights.None)]
    public class AutoTrader : Robot
    {
        [Parameter("EMA Period", DefaultValue = 200)]
        public int EMAPeriod { get; set; }

[Parameter("Stochastic Period", DefaultValue = 14)]
        public int StochasticPeriod { get; set; }

[Parameter("Stochastic D Period", DefaultValue = 3)]
        public int StochasticDPeriod { get; set; }

[Parameter("Stochastic K Period", DefaultValue = 3)]
        public int StochasticKPeriod { get; set; }

[Parameter("Stochastic Overbought Level", DefaultValue = 80)]
        public double StochasticOverboughtLevel { get; set; }

[Parameter("Stochastic Oversold Level", DefaultValue = 20)]
        public double StochasticOversoldLevel { get; set; }

[Parameter("Stop Loss (pips)", DefaultValue = 30)]
        public int StopLoss { get; set; }

[Parameter("Take Profit (pips)", DefaultValue = 60)]
        public int TakeProfit { get; set; }

private ExponentialMovingAverage ema;
        private Supertrend supertrend;
        private StochasticOscillator stochastic;

protected override void OnStart()
        {
            ema = Indicators.ExponentialMovingAverage(Bars.ClosePrices, EMAPeriod);
            supertrend = Indicators.Supertrend(Bars.HighPrices, Bars.LowPrices, EMAPeriod, 2.0);
            stochastic = Indicators.StochasticOscillator(Bars.HighPrices, Bars.LowPrices, Bars.ClosePrices, StochasticPeriod, StochasticKPeriod, StochasticDPeriod);
        }

protected override void OnTick()
        {
            var position = Positions.Find(Symbol, PositionType.Any);

if (position == null)
            {
                // Check if we should open a long position
                if (Bars.ClosePrices.LastValue > ema.Result.LastValue && supertrend.Trend.LastValue == 1 && stochastic.PercentD.LastValue < StochasticOversoldLevel)
                {
                    ExecuteMarketOrder(TradeType.Buy, Symbol, Volume, "Long", StopLoss, TakeProfit);
                }

// Check if we should open a short position
                if (Bars.ClosePrices.LastValue < ema.Result.LastValue && supertrend.Trend.LastValue == -1 && stochastic.PercentD.LastValue > StochasticOverboughtLevel)
                {
                    ExecuteMarketOrder(TradeType.Sell, Symbol, Volume, "Short", StopLoss, TakeProfit);
                }
            }
            else
            {
                // Check if we should close the position
                if ((position.TradeType == TradeType.Buy && Bars.ClosePrices.LastValue < ema.Result.LastValue) ||
                    (position.TradeType == TradeType.Sell && Bars.ClosePrices.LastValue > ema.Result.LastValue))
                {
                    ClosePosition(position);
                }
            }
        }
    }
}

@robban
Replies

PanagiotisChar
04 Jan 2023, 15:22

Hi robban,

The errors are self explanatory. Did you just copy and paste the code from somewhere?

Also, when renaming the file to .algo - cTrader gives me  "Invalid file format" and does not install the bot to cTrader?

Which file do you rename? You can't just rename a file to .algo. These files are only compiled by cTrader.

Aieden Technologies

Need help? Join us on Telegram

Need premium support? Trade with us

@PanagiotisChar

robban
04 Jan 2023, 15:54

RE:

PanagiotisChar said:

Hi robban,

The errors are self explanatory. Did you just copy and paste the code from somewhere?

Which file do you rename? You can't just rename a file to .algo. These files are only compiled by cTrader.

Aieden Technologies

So VS cant built it?

What do you mean with copy in?

@robban

PanagiotisChar
04 Jan 2023, 15:59

Hi robban,

The VS will build it after you fix the errors. I am asking where did you find this code. Did you write it yourself? Because the errors are clear what the problem is. A programmer can easily fix them. It seems that you just copied source code from somewhere and you are trying to build it.

Aieden Technologies

@PanagiotisChar

robban
04 Jan 2023, 16:50

RE:

PanagiotisChar said:

Hi robban,

The VS will build it after you fix the errors. I am asking where did you find this code. Did you write it yourself? Because the errors are clear what the problem is. A programmer can easily fix them. It seems that you just copied source code from somewhere and you are trying to build it.

Aieden Technologies

Thank you for you answer.

I have been reading on https://help.ctrader.com/ctrader-automate/creating-and-running-a-cbot/ and using openAI chatGPT to in different approaches yes.

Unfortunately I am better with medicine than programming as for now... This trading is a hobby, but I know what strategy I wanna run. 

Again, thank you

@robban

PanagiotisChar
05 Jan 2023, 08:36

Hi robban,

chatGPT is too good to be true :) I tried it too, unfortunately the produced code is always buggy. If you don't know how to program, you should contact a professional instead.

Aieden Technologies

@PanagiotisChar

robban
05 Jan 2023, 09:48

RE:

PanagiotisChar said:

Hi robban,

chatGPT is too good to be true :) I tried it too, unfortunately the produced code is always buggy. If you don't know how to program, you should contact a professional instead.

Aieden Technologies

I signed up for a course instead, maby that helps :)

If the error now is so simple, why not just tell what is wrong so Iatleats can look it up specifically?

Best regards, Robert

@robban

PanagiotisChar
05 Jan 2023, 10:57

Hi robban,

The error messages are very clear I think e.g. Supertrend does not take 4 arguments, Stochastic Oscillator does not take 6 arguments, Volume and PositionType do not exist, SuperTrend does not have a Trend member etc. It's just nonsense code.

Aieden Technologies

@PanagiotisChar

Xammo
10 Jan 2023, 13:41

Hi robban

PanagiotisChar is right (as always/top bloke!) ChatGPT is giving it a go but getting some things badly wrong that it is going to throw all those errors

I made this video yesterday (to try and keep my mind off the 4.1 connection issues!) to walk through how I would go about fixing the code - take note I am by far no professional developer/100% self taught and no doubt a lot of bad habits/ways about doing things but hopefully it gives you something to go on to develop your own style of working things out

Cheers

Max

PS - I later realised what the supertrend = 1 was probably meaning if the Up/DownTrend was áctive or not (it reports as NaN when not being caluclated in the indicator) so to trigger when it is not NaN I would suggest using  !double.IsNaN(SuperTrend.UpTrend.LastValue)

@Xammo