Optimization on VPS

Created at 07 Mar 2022, 12:30
How’s your experience with the cTrader Platform?
Your feedback is crucial to cTrader's development. Please take a few seconds to share your opinion and help us improve your trading experience. Thanks!
FL

florent.herb

Joined 04.02.2022

Optimization on VPS
07 Mar 2022, 12:30

Hi,

Is it a good idea to run optimization on VPS? If yes is there a minimum VPS power requirement? Thank you!

Best Regards,

Florent

@florent.herb
Replies

ClickAlgo
07 Mar 2022, 16:36

Hi, Florent,

This should help.

@ClickAlgo

amusleh
08 Mar 2022, 09:02

Hi,

You can run the optimization on VPS, there is no issue with that.

The resource requirement is mostly related to your cBot, for cTrader a 4 GB 2 core modern CPU will be enough, more cores and faster CPU clock will increase the optimization speed.

@amusleh

florent.herb
08 Mar 2022, 09:06

RE:

amusleh said:

Hi,

You can run the optimization on VPS, there is no issue with that.

The resource requirement is mostly related to your cBot, for cTrader a 4 GB 2 core modern CPU will be enough, more cores and faster CPU clock will increase the optimization speed.

Hi,

Thank you for your reply!

One more question that has nothing to do with the topic of the post. Does the exit in the cbot of the stop loss and take profits "on bar closed" instead of "on tick" is the difference between the results with ctrader optimization between data set on "tick" and on "m1 bar open prices"? I hope my question make sense. Thank you.

@florent.herb

amusleh
08 Mar 2022, 09:27

RE: RE:

florent.herb said:

Hi,

One more question that has nothing to do with the topic of the post. Does the exit in the cbot of the stop loss and take profits "on bar closed" instead of "on tick" is the difference between the results with ctrader optimization between data set on "tick" and on "m1 bar open prices"? I hope my question make sense. Thank you.

Hi,

Not sure what do you mean, if you want to backtest in most accurate possible way then use tick data, as it calls the OnTick method per each actual tick and it takes into account the real spread.

The m1 bar open prices option only use the one minute bars open prices to generate other time frames bars and it calls the OnTick per each M1 bar open price, the OnBar method will be called by combining multiple M1 bar open prices to generate one bar.

@amusleh

florent.herb
08 Mar 2022, 09:28

RE: RE: RE:

amusleh said:

florent.herb said:

Hi,

Hi,

Not sure what do you mean, if you want to backtest in most accurate possible way then use tick data, as it calls the OnTick method per each actual tick and it takes into account the real spread.

The m1 bar open prices option only use the one minute bars open prices to generate other time frames bars and it calls the OnTick per each M1 bar open price, the OnBar method will be called by combining multiple M1 bar open prices to generate one bar.

Thank you!

@florent.herb

florent.herb
24 Mar 2022, 00:46

RE: RE: RE: RE:

florent.herb said:

amusleh said:

florent.herb said:

Hi,

Hi,

Thank you!

Hi amusleh,

I would like your view on this that has little to do with the topic above but still... 

What is more "important" considering a forex VPS in general: RAM or number of CPU?

Considering a dozen of instances opened at the same time on ctrader, between 4 or 6 GB of RAM and 4 or 6 CPU what combo of RAM / CPU would be best to choose? Thank you for all the help you can give me :)

Best Regards,

Florent

@florent.herb

amusleh
24 Mar 2022, 09:16 ( Updated at: 24 Mar 2022, 12:03 )

RE: RE: RE: RE: RE:

florent.herb said:

Hi amusleh,

I would like your view on this that has little to do with the topic above but still... 

What is more "important" considering a forex VPS in general: RAM or number of CPU?

Considering a dozen of instances opened at the same time on ctrader, between 4 or 6 GB of RAM and 4 or 6 CPU what combo of RAM / CPU would be best to choose? Thank you for all the help you can give me :)

Best Regards,

Florent

Hi,

It depends on your cBot and the way you want to use cTrader, for optimization the number of cores and base clock of each core is very important because optimization can use multiple cores and run in parallel multiple back tests on different CPU cores, it's not sequential like back test.

If you want to use VPS for optimization you you need at least 8 GB of ram and a 4 core CPU.

Increasing RAM size will not increase the optimization speed unless your cBot uses lots of RAM.

@amusleh

florent.herb
24 Mar 2022, 11:35

RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE:

amusleh said:

florent.herb said:

Hi amusleh,

Best Regards,

Florent

Hi,

It depends on your cBot and the way you want to use cTrader, for optimization the number of cores and base clock of each core is very important because optimization can use multiple cores and run in parallel multiple back tests on different CPU cores, it's sequential like back test.

If you want to use VPS for optimization you you need at least 8 GB of ram and a 4 core CPU.

Increasing RAM size will not increase the optimization speed unless your cBot uses lots of RAM.

Hi,

Thank you for your comprehensive answer. Okay for optimisation and what about the live trading on the VPS? I will have several instances with a lot of TP happening quickly. What is to be  prefered? Thank you.

Best Regards

@florent.herb

amusleh
24 Mar 2022, 12:05

RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE:

florent.herb said:

Hi,

Thank you for your comprehensive answer. Okay for optimisation and what about the live trading on the VPS? I will have several instances with a lot of TP happening quickly. What is to be  prefered? Thank you.

Best Regards

Hi,

For manual trading 4 GB memory and a 2 core VPS will be enough, if you are not using custom indicators and you don't have too many open charts otherwise you need more resources.

@amusleh

florent.herb
24 Mar 2022, 12:06

RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE:

amusleh said:

florent.herb said:

Hi,

Best Regards

Hi,

For manual trading 4 GB memory and a 2 core VPS will be enough, if you are not using custom indicators and you don't have too many open charts otherwise you need more resources.

Hi,

No I mean when using a VPS running a Cbot. Live trading on a cBot :)

@florent.herb

florent.herb
24 Mar 2022, 12:10

RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE:

florent.herb said:

amusleh said:

florent.herb said:

Hi,

Best Regards

Hi,

Hi,

When do you know that a cbot needs more CPU or more RAM? Is 2 CPU and 8 GB RAM a combo that could work for a dozen instances opened on a huge cBot? Sorry for all the questions but it is crucial for me to understand this  :/. Than you very much.

@florent.herb

amusleh
24 Mar 2022, 14:19

RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE:

florent.herb said:

florent.herb said:

amusleh said:

florent.herb said:

Hi,

Best Regards

Hi,

Hi,

When do you know that a cbot needs more CPU or more RAM? Is 2 CPU and 8 GB RAM a combo that could work for a dozen instances opened on a huge cBot? Sorry for all the questions but it is crucial for me to understand this  :/. Than you very much.

Just run your cBot on minimum available resource, if your system memory or CPU usage was too high then upgrade.

@amusleh

florent.herb
24 Mar 2022, 14:24

RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE:

amusleh said:

florent.herb said:

florent.herb said:

amusleh said:

florent.herb said:

Hi,

Best Regards

Hi,

Hi,

Just run your cBot on minimum available resource, if your system memory or CPU usage was too high then upgrade.

Hi,

Yes but my question is: for a cbot that will have to do a lot of operations quickly (add volume et close it) what do I have to favor. CPU or RAM. Once again in general and to your view to have an idea.

Best Regards

@florent.herb