Backtesting data issues

Created at 18 Aug 2021, 13:16
How’s your experience with the cTrader Platform?
Your feedback is crucial to cTrader's development. Please take a few seconds to share your opinion and help us improve your trading experience. Thanks!
LI

lisabeaney

Joined 08.10.2019

Backtesting data issues
18 Aug 2021, 13:16

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help....

I'm backtesting some code and get very different results in the way it operates purely if I change the back test date range.

The fact it blows the account isn't the problem but when it happens changes depending on the end date of the backtest.

The first time I ran it from 01/09/19 to 30/06/21 and it blew the account on 05/09/19

The second time I ran it from 01/09/19 to 30/09/19 and it blew the account on 13/09/19 no other parameters were changed, just the end date of the back test.

I have deleted all the tick data and re-loaded it and the same problem occurs. I have also tested this on 3 different machines in 2 different locations and get the same results.

Can anyone shed some light as to why this happens ??

Screenshots of both backtests below.

​​​​​​​

@lisabeaney
Replies

PanagiotisCharalampous
18 Aug 2021, 14:09

Hi Lisa,

This probably happens because of currency conversions. The position's P&L is converted to your account's currency based on the conversion rate of the backtesting's last date. Hence moving the end date back and forth can cause positions having slightly different P&L, resulting to a different overall performance for your execution.

Best Regards,

Panagiotis 

Join us on Telegram and Facebook

@PanagiotisCharalampous

lisabeaney
18 Aug 2021, 14:19

RE:

Thank you ! That makes sense knowing how the take profit point is calculated :) 

PanagiotisCharalampous said:

Hi Lisa,

This probably happens because of currency conversions. The position's P&L is converted to your account's currency based on the conversion rate of the backtesting's last date. Hence moving the end date back and forth can cause positions having slightly different P&L, resulting to a different overall performance for your execution.

Best Regards,

Panagiotis 

Join us on Telegram and Facebook

@lisabeaney

grandom
12 Sep 2022, 22:29

Hi Lisa,

Need to discuss a coding thing with you if you don't mind. As I don't have a way to contact you please pm at Telegram 

Thanks

@grandom