CPU - Ryzen or Intel - Optimization/Backtesting

Created at 30 Mar 2021, 02:08
How’s your experience with the cTrader Platform?
Your feedback is crucial to cTrader's development. Please take a few seconds to share your opinion and help us improve your trading experience. Thanks!
JI

Jiggytrade

Joined 25.01.2020

CPU - Ryzen or Intel - Optimization/Backtesting
30 Mar 2021, 02:08

Hi, not sure if this is the place to ask such a question but i currently have an Intel I7 6700k and i want to upgrade primarily to speed up my regularly cbot optimisation. Now i would simply go for Ryzen 7 or 9 but i have heard that CTrader has issues utilising the cores,.... Does this issue just occur on AMD  ?,.. and therefore would i better simply getting an I9-10900k .  Unfortunately there is not alot of info or speed comparisons available online in relation to just ctrader ,.. just dont want to spend a shed load of money upgrading, only to realise that the software cant leverage the hardware, so any insight would be much appreciated.

W

@Jiggytrade
Replies

PanagiotisCharalampous
30 Mar 2021, 08:16

Hi Jiggytrade,

I am currently using a Ryzen 5 and optimization runs fine.

Best Regards,

Panagiotis 

Join us on Telegram 

@PanagiotisCharalampous

Jiggytrade
30 Mar 2021, 08:54 ( Updated at: 30 Mar 2021, 08:55 )

RE:

PanagiotisCharalampous said:

Hi Jiggytrade,

I am currently using a Ryzen 5 and optimization runs fine.

Best Regards,

Panagiotis 

Join us on Telegram 

Hi, thanks for replying,. i had heard that although it runs ok, Ctrader wasn't utilizing all available cpu cores 100%,  ( they were reporting between 15% and 25 %) meaning it was taking longer to complete than it really should..  I plan on getting Ryzen 7 5800x seeing as Ryzen 9 is not available or i may get a previous gen Ryzen 5900x/5950X so thats at least 8 cores or up to 16 cores.  Anyone have any experience running more cores and are you getting high utilization.

@Jiggytrade

PanagiotisCharalampous
30 Mar 2021, 10:13

Hi Jiggytrade,

To utilize all cores, you can apply this workaround and you should be fine.

Best Regards,

Panagiotis 

Join us on Telegram 

@PanagiotisCharalampous

Jiggytrade
30 Mar 2021, 19:45

RE:

Hi Jiggytrade,

Best Regards,

Panagiotis 

Join us on Telegram 

Thank you so much Panagiotis, .. now i just have to get my hands on a Ryzen 5900x for sale :D

@Jiggytrade

richardsmits007
05 Apr 2021, 12:59

RE:

Hi Jiggytrade,

Best Regards,

Panagiotis 

Join us on Telegram 

Thank you Panagiotis for pointing to this workaround! I did found the other topics on this subject, but without the solution.

I also had the issue with my Ryzen 3900XT not using all the cores 100% and performing on par with a i7 9750H in a laptop. Applying this patch indeed pushes all cores to 100% when optimizing and outperforming the i7 9750H by a lot (and less fan-noise).

@richardsmits007

PanagiotisCharalampous
05 Apr 2021, 14:53

Hi richardsmits007,

Indeed Ryzen rocks!

Best Regards,

Panagiotis 

Join us on Telegram 

@PanagiotisCharalampous

joel.salinaszk
08 Oct 2023, 20:30 ( Updated at: 09 Oct 2023, 12:53 )

RE: CPU - Ryzen or Intel - Optimization/Backtesting

Hi Jiggytrade,

Best Regards,

Panagiotis 

Join us on Telegram 

Hi Panagiotis, does this works on windows 11? i could not find  the /apps folder

@joel.salinaszk

PanagiotisChar
09 Oct 2023, 12:58 ( Updated at: 09 Oct 2023, 13:11 )

RE: RE: CPU - Ryzen or Intel - Optimization/Backtesting

joel.salinaszk said: 

Hi Jiggytrade,

Best Regards,

Panagiotis 

Join us on Telegram 

Hi Panagiotis, does this works on windows 11? i could not find  the /apps folder

Hi Joel,

This is a very old issue. I don't think this workaround is applicable or necessary on cTrader anymore

@PanagiotisChar

roul.charts
02 May 2024, 18:38 ( Updated at: 03 May 2024, 07:18 )

RE: RE: RE: CPU - Ryzen or Intel - Optimization/Backtesting

PanagiotisChar said: 

joel.salinaszk said: 

Hi Jiggytrade,

Best Regards,

Panagiotis 

Join us on Telegram 

Hi Joel,

This is a very old issue. I don't think this workaround is applicable or necessary on cTrader anymore

I came across this post. So first: Yes Ryzen rocks i'm optimizing on a simple machine but with Ryzen 9 5950X - and that is way faster then my old Dual Xeons.

2nd: I'm connecting to the Optimizer instances via Remote Desktop and after a while every time i'm reconnecting, the slider of the CPU Usage in the Optimizer mode is shifted back.
I start the optimizer like this:

I can reconnect from different machines and it stays at 100% in the first minutes:

But once the table is adding the scroll button on the right side - or it runs for the 2nd batch like here 64 passes or it adds the remaing time: the CPU slider wents down to 31% after each reconnect:

I can pull the slider up to 100% - reconnect and it goes down to 31% every time. That is really annoying…

I'm on Version 4.9.2.26009 but the bug was there in the previous versions also…

@roul.charts