Optimization V's Live Spread setting and Spread Parameter

Created at 08 Mar 2021, 08:25
How’s your experience with the cTrader Platform?
Your feedback is crucial to cTrader's development. Please take a few seconds to share your opinion and help us improve your trading experience. Thanks!
SU

sue.bugg

Joined 09.01.2021

Optimization V's Live Spread setting and Spread Parameter
08 Mar 2021, 08:25

Hi

My cBot uses Spread as part of the SL/TP equation. For Optimization, Back Testing & Live purposes, I use this parameter named Spread.

In the Back Testing & Optimization screens, there is also a setting named Spread, but this is not available when cBot is running live.

Example HK50. Sometimes the spread can get as high as 30 pips. When Optimizing I can fix the Spread Setting to 30 pips and leave the Spread Parameter to do it's thing. But let's say in Optimization, Spread Parameter comes out at 5 pips. The Optimization takes into account the 5 pips for SL/TP purposes AND the 30 pips for the Spread Setting.

When I let that bot run live, I can no longer account for the 30 pips used in Optimization.

SL: (ATR x #) + Spread = # pips       

TP = (SL # pips x #) - Spread

ATR = 10, Multiplier = 1.5, Spread = 5, TP = 3

(10 x 1.5) + 5 = 20 = SL

(20 x 3) - 5 = 55 = TP

Once trade is triggered, I can't really manually adjust as it will impact my Risk & TP significantly. 

Does anyone know the solution to this please?

Thanks

Sue

@sue.bugg
Replies

PanagiotisCharalampous
08 Mar 2021, 09:25

Hi Sue,

The spread parameter used in backtesting and optimization is only for the cases where you do not use tick data but bars, and it's purpose is to somehow simulate the spread by adding the respective value on the bar's close price. When you run the cBot live, you can get the spread from the difference of bid and ask prices.

Best Regards,

Panagiotis 

Join us on Telegram

@PanagiotisCharalampous